Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 10:08   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Circumnavigation in MacGregor 26

I have heard so many times on this forum the old saw about it not being the boat, but the skipper, that I decided to throw out the ultimate question.

Let's hear it!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:24   #2

Re: Circumnavigation in MacGregor 26

It depends on what you are circumnavigating.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
It depends on what you are circumnavigating.
LOL. good one.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:39   #4

Everything I've read in my research for a boat said the Mac26 will fall apart when put out into "real water".. therefore, I'm sure it can be done, if you sacrifice twenty goats and three virgins to Poseidon.
rowingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:44   #5

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

From what I understand, the Mac26 has limited fuel and fresh water stowage, so you would be skirting coasts most of the way, and I should think that would make for a very long, if picturesque voyage.
Old 08-06-2011, 13:00   #6

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

Absolutely you could circumnavigate the globe with a Mac 26! Put her on the trailer, drag her across North America, barge the Mac and trailer across the atlantic, pull her across Europe and Asia ... you get the idea.
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 13:11   #7

Boat: C&C Mega 30

One could argue that people row accross the ocean, why couldn't a MacGregor make it?

Well, at a recent local festivity hosted at the Port nearby, they had one of them rowboats that someone used to row across an ocean. I'm confident it was more seaworthy than a Macgregor.

I think a better question than whether or not it **could** make it is, who would want to bother trying?
wannago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 13:24   #8

Easy if you are a Dockwise member.

If Trekka could do it...

But such a feat is not so much about a skipper's seamanship IMHO. More like, how much time do you have? how resourceful are you? How well can you tolerate cramped spaces on a long voyage?
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 13:25   #9

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

I myself wouldn't, but if someone wants to, that's their decision.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 14:13   #10

Can anybody tell me if this sailboat is capable--as is advertised--to navegate the world? An if zthe price you think is the fair and right? thnaks
racing8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 14:14   #11

Soory the sailboat is in thsi webiste Dufour 27 Ocean Cruiser | Barronsmarine.com
Old 11-06-2011, 14:43   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Dufours are decent boats. It would probably make it if you could in a boat with so limited amount of space. I'd stay out of the roaring forties and the major Capes. It's hard to avoid the Cape of Good Hope with all the piracy in the upper Indian Ocean these days, however.

As far as price and equipment, tdoesn't seem to be too bad. The diesel is a big plus if it's in good shape. The lister is a bit optimistic on his assessment of the equipment making it a world cruiser. You aren't going to go far without a self steering vane, dodger, weather cloths, storm sails, dinghy or a GPS plotter. Not huge investments but easily half the asking price.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 14:59   #13

Thanks a lot, so you think that I will a total amount including the sailboat and equiment for 15000 US for acomplishing my dream? Any other choise much more cheaper perhaps in terms of marks? What about this boat: riodulcechisme.com - Saga - 1974 Irwin 37 ? How much will you paid in my case? Is in rio dulce from where I want to start my carreer of sailor. If it woth 7000 US or perhaps 2000 US? Can you tell me in amount of money How much more I will need to placed in it to cruise the world in terms of equipment?
THANKS A LOT
Old 11-06-2011, 16:32   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There is not enough information on the Irwin to make any kind of decision. The asking price makes me very very nervous. Indicates it's not in good enough condition to sail back to the States where it should have a greater value. It's got a front door refrigerator under the galley sink. That will be useless except in a marina unless you run the engine or generator most of the time.

As the size of the boat goes up, the cost of stuff and repairs goes up at a greater rate. If you are on a serious budget, stick to as small a boat as you can live with. You can keep the expenses under control where a bigger boat just seems to bleed money.

To go cruising, all you need is a hand held gps, sail boat and sails. Everything else is nice to have. Personally, won't leave home without a self steering vane. Driving gets real old, real real quick. Autopilots are a poor substitute for a wind vane. They are electrickery so prone to failure and need lots of electrons to feed them. You have to budget spares and charging options into the cost of an autopilot. A dinghy is nice to have unless you don't mind swimming to shore everywhere you anchor. An Avon RedCrest would me minimum for me. I like to have a knotmeter/log for DR navigation should the need arise and I just like knowing how fast I'm going. A depth sounder would also be high on my wish list because it can used for navigation as well as keeping you from running aground. Oh, forgot to add a personal Epirb just in case I have to go swimming without the boat. An Epirb for the boat isn't such a bad idea, either.

Things like a life raft, VHF radio, HF radio, autopilot for motoring, light air sails, and a whole host of other things are on most peoples boats. They aren't absolutely necessary to get underway but make life at sea a bit more fun. I'd suggest you get a West Marine/Defender Marine/etc. catalogue and go through it looking for items that you'd like to have on your boat. Make a list and check it against the equipment list on any boat you consider buying. Add up the cost of buying these items and include it in the real purchase cost of the boat.

FWIW it's, sailed my first boat, a Columbia 26 all over the Hawaiian Islands with three sails, a hand held compass, a second hand Danforth Anchor and an outboard. It was all I needed to sail there or any area where I could DR to my next destination. With the addition of a GPS, could have sailed that boat almost anywhere. Would have been stupid to do that 'cause the boat was really crappy but I could have bought a used boat for about the same amount of money that would have been fine for crossing oceans.

Now I've got a 35' boat, have spent more than twice it's purchase price getting it ready to cross oceans and I'm still not done. Have sailed it to Hawaii but need to do a lot of work to get it ready for the next leg. I'll have way more in it than it's worth when I get done but it's been fun and the kids don't get to blow the money as part of their inheritance. Got lot's of bells and whistles that make me feel good but, for the most part, don't really have a lot to do with actually crossing oceans.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 16:43   #15

Thanks my friend for the advicing. If you have any good friend in the USA who knows a good sailboat around 4000 to 8000 US in good condition, really to be sailed into the caribeam, let me know please. Thanks again.

Tags
circumnavigation, macgregor