Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2009, 12:57   #61

Talbot,

Really appreciate your response, thank you. The biggest disadvantage to me would be my wife and children not having a good time. We have enjoyed boating for years. My in-laws have always had a boat...it has always been a motorboat, but we have enjoyed it none the less. We have always done day trips and have only stayed out overnight a handfull of times. Normally what we do is motor to an area, anchor and then spend the day swimming and lounging around, then in most cases head back. Initially, at least until my wife gets closer to retirement, I believe that we will most likely use the boat to go to different areas and "camp out", enjoy the area for about a week and then sail back. Once she retires, I see us moving into the 3 month "vacations" on the boat and longer.

Quite frankly, we have only been looking at monohulls...IP, C&C, Beneteau, and Hans Christian. IP and HC being my visually pleasing ones and layouts that I believe I like. We have not really looked at any Multihulls because I was under the impression that they were simply not made for passagemaking. Reading this thread, I believe my niavity has biased my research. I haven't really heard of any Cats crossing oceans until recently, The Dos Gatos. This probably displays just how "wet behind the ears" I am, but it is the truth. I hesitate to begin looking at Cats with my wife until I know a little more about their seaworthiness. Once she sees the layout and room on them I can rapidly see my 43T Hans Christian or IP 460 leaving the slip without me. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I believe I will start looking at the multihull section and get some of the opinions and wisdom in that thread as well. Thanks again.
GreenSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 13:24   #62

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
We are on a Beneteau 393 circumnavigating. Done 14,000 miles so far. Theres just the 2 of us on board, but the female member can act like 2 children sometimes.

Mark
(I hope she doesn't read this one )

It was nice to have had Mark here for as long as we did. I am sure that he will not be with us too much longer. Best of luck Mark.
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 15:23   #63
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanschristian38 View Post
It was nice to have had Mark here for as long as we did. I am sure that he will not be with us too much longer. Best of luck Mark.

Leaving in 3 hours!!!

The last few days have been very relaxing as we don't have much to do. Everyone else has been running around like chooks with their heads cut off (chook=chicken).

The Start is 11am but a number of boats have left already! Talk about pissing on the spirit of the rally! Oh well... different boats for different folks!

Cruisers are such independent types that as soon as you tell them something "Be here at 11am" they will ensure they are not!

Anyway, we will be on the net at some time so I will be reading scurrilous remarks about me!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 00:28   #64

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSailor View Post
Talbot, Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I believe I will start looking at the multihull section and get some of the opinions and wisdom in that thread as well. Thanks again.
I can do no better than refer you to this site Exit Only which is the description of an 11 year circumnavigation in a ctamaran. It includes articles on storms.

Just as in monohulls, there are boats designed for speed, some for coastal sailing, and some proper cruising, Water boats">blue water boats. Monos are cheaper on a hull-length to hull-length comparison, but that is not a fair comparison. if you look at accomodation space as the basis of price comparison, then costs are very similar.
Old 18-08-2009, 20:01   #65

Boat: beneteau first 47.7
Send a message via Skype™ to ZARYA
473 or 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
A few quick points,

A sales manager job is to sell boats, not design or bui them Having crawled through both boats, I can assure you that if the Sales manager is telling you that both boats are built the same, he either does not know his own product very well or he is lying to you. If nothing else, since the 47.7 is physically smaller and lighter but costs more money, you would have to think that additional cost came from somewhere. Crawl around both boats an it is not hard to see where in the structure the additional costs came from. I have already given you a list of some of these differences. They are plainly visible to the nked eye. Do your due diligence.

But beyond that, You are planning to sail around the world. It is a false economy to attempt that in a boat that was not intended for that kind of hard useage. A circumnavigation wears out even well constructed purpose built boats. If you get partially around the world and the boat is beat, there is no savings there.

There are a lot of choices out there beyond a new Beneteau 473 or a Beneteau First 47.7. Many are much better suited for this kind of passage making.

If you read my description of the Running backstays, they are not a replacement for the permanent backstays. Instead they are attached part way down the mast at the hounds of the jibstay or babystay (what you are calling an intermediate stay) and brace the mast at the Jibstay or baby stay to counter act the enormous forward forces that occur at this intermediate point in the mast in heavy conditions that is exerted by the 'intermediate stay'.

Jeff
Two very differente boat.The 47.7 is physically a bit bigger than the 47.3
I own 47.7 and a friend a 47.3 The 47.7 is a racer cruiser and the 47.3 a
cruiser.Hardware on the 47.7 is more heavy shroud on the 47.7 are 14mm
compare to 11mm for the 47.3.Both boat are ocean going vessel.
ZARYA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau