Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2006, 04:40   #31

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Enoy the cruise whatever the boat.......

I believe we all know a lot of people have cruised extensively in yachts a lot less 'cruiserlike' than the Beneteau mentioned - so I've absolutely no doubts such a vessel could complete a circumnavigation OK.

We also know when we pull together a group of sailors and ask an opinion that we're going to get varying views and some heat!

But I'm like some of the others above who appear to be fed up seeing threads where 'newish' sailors come on to seek advice usually to help bolster their dream (real or not) - and then for those dreams to be almost shattered by others who happen to think the choice of boat unsuitable!

Factually guys - there are a lot more AWB boats out there cruising than the heavier longer keeled alternates - so maybe we should just respect peoples choices and provide the answer to the questions, rather than take over and change the thread?

Umm.
I'd add a watermaker.

Cheers

JOHN
swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 06:44   #32

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Personally, I like the way some of these threads drift. I used this board when I returned to sailing after many years in power to help me sort through my dated opinions and assumptions. The "off point" comments from some who responded raised new issues and really changed my thinking.
To me this is a better way to learn than just a straight answer. For example, if the original posted had said 30 year old O'Day instead of new Beneteau, would you still respond...."add a watermaker".....I hope not.
Within the various views expressed in this one thread, I pull out a lot of opinions that match mine, some modify mine, some are better expressed and really make me think, some are of a different view and remind me that we all read the same stuff and all own different boats. I have learned more from the drift than the simple answer to the original question. Maybe that does not directly serve the original poster, but I think it serves the Forum very well.
I have posted a few questions and had the thread wander so far that I had to repost, reminding everyone what I was asking, or (in truth) asking the question more clearly. That would be my part in an interactive discussion. What the newbie should learn is there are alot of variables and opinions. In the end the one that asked the question is responsible for his or her own decisions.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 09:48   #33

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
Larry, I've enjoyed and learned from our exchanges, but I'm going to respectfully disagree this time.

I think Swagman is exactly right that we should be fed up with how some new posters are responded to. In Jack's post earlier in this thread, he notes a pattern of a new poster asks about a boat, gets a string of sometimes stinging responses, and then disappears. In fact, the original poster may appear on another board.

Jack suggests this is because the new poster thinking about a boat is rude. I wonder if it isn't because the "free advice" offered here is absolute and one-sided sometimes (and occasionally tactless). You note that you like how the threads drift sometimes to new areas (which I also like), but you have to admit that presenting advice as if it were black and white pretty much squelches that type of exchange.

Unfortunately, the B______ thread reveals this as well. I've read threads at SSCA and Latts/Atts on the same subject. 80% of the participants like reading and following the couple, and they point out the facts about the learning curve. At this board, however, note how people who read and follow them are treated.

Last note: on the main page look down at the bottom. At this moment there are 35 registered users online, and 454 guests. Why is it that the guests aren't registering and posting? Personally, I'd love to hear about their ideas, dreams, boats, mistakes and successes. In fact, if they don't join, what is the purpose of this site?

Thanks-- and I want to know if you're still researching Tayana 37s!

Jim H
Jim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 10:27   #34

Hey Jim H.

I too, often wonder why there are more guests on this forum. Than actual members. I have thought about that before, in the past!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 10:59   #35

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Recuring theme

This is often stated when talking about boats. " It should track well because it has a full length keel, or the design is from one of NAs most respected design teams "
Both remarks could be true, but they could be false. The boat could have a full length keel and be awful to steer, and the boat could be from a respected design team and be awful to steer, tender and a real dog. The boat could be from a respected manufacturer and have crappy workmanship. So generalities may not be good enough, yet sometimes it is no0t easy to get first hand info. Sometimes the input is the best the poster has, which may not be enough to satisfy some others. Tough business talking about boats. We just have to keep at it and hope the the good stuff somehow comes through.
Let me tell you this for sure" If you want a good starter small keel boat, the Tanzer 22 is a good choice " I used to sell them, I own one, I will be sailing the heck out of mine all year. The rudder needs replacing, I am building a new one right now.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 11:08   #36

Boat: currently "on the beach"
There is a debate running on the SSCA board about identity. Many post "anonymous" and want it to stay that way. It is insanely confusing trying to read a conversation where everyone has the same name. Some who post "anon" are the rudest, and I doubt they would be so if they had an identity on that board. Truth is any of us could have several screen names and even argue with ourselves on a thread. (hmmm)
When I was first heading back to sail from power, I spent a little time on BB sites, posted a few, wandered off and never followed thru. I think many people play with the idea of sailing off, but most do not follow thru, like most things. I think many like to use a BB as a newspaper - they do not want interaction and are not seeking specific information or interested in exchanging ideas. Some post on one site that they are buying X boat, and post on another site they are buying Y boat. I don't know what they are doing, but I think that has more to do with them than us. Last, I do not sign on if just checking the board, so plenty of those guests are certainly members.
All said, I do agree that promotion of sailing is the intent and we can all do better. It would be great if more decide to post. Others have posted on how "tone" is hard to read in type, and proofing a post prior to submitting is important.
Good counterpoint.

And you can always disagree with me Jim - I am frequently wrong and often corrected by the Admiral. No on the Tayana, but I do have something afoot. Survey next. We'll see.
Sounds like you found out how to end the searching... buying. Congrats if it happens.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 13:58   #37

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Boat type and design.

This is something I have been thinking and talking about seriously for the past twenty five years, and less seriously for about 50 years. I have also been sailing my current boat since 1979. At our Yacht Club my name appears on the yacht race winners board starting in 1980 and most recently 2004.
Yet I am a long way from all the answers, let alone a few of the answers. Some with less insight claim to know more than me.
I have always liked boats that can get out of their own way. I am in the same camp as Jeff H on this subject. I like fractional rigs. But reality has to enter the equation, the boat has to be affordable and I have to have money to live on. I started this project in about 1980, the boat was designed, but I got married and got a farm and blah blah blah. Now I am getting unmarried and selling the farm. That leaves me three choices. Keep my current boat, buy a used Cal 36, build a Didi 34. I have five years to make this happen, I owe that much time to my clients, they need me to look after their financial affairs, and estates.
This week I am seriously thinking of building. I can fund the project from the sale of my current boat and still go sailing on the smaller boat. That is my plan and I think it may happen. No need to baffle me with logic.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 00:48   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
my only question would be if that's the boat you want for a circumnavigation. Just asking. Not much keel there.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 13:11   #39

Circumnavigate with family - looking for boat info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
A few quick points,

A sales manager job is to sell boats, not design or bui them Having crawled through both boats, I can assure you that if the Sales manager is telling you that both boats are built the same, he either does not know his own product very well or he is lying to you. If nothing else, since the 47.7 is physically smaller and lighter but costs more money, you would have to think that additional cost came from somewhere. Crawl around both boats an it is not hard to see where in the structure the additional costs came from. I have already given you a list of some of these differences. They are plainly visible to the nked eye. Do your due diligence.

But beyond that, You are planning to sail around the world. It is a false economy to attempt that in a boat that was not intended for that kind of hard useage. A circumnavigation wears out even well constructed purpose built boats. If you get partially around the world and the boat is beat, there is no savings there.

There are a lot of choices out there beyond a new Beneteau 473 or a Beneteau First 47.7. Many are much better suited for this kind of passage making.

If you read my description of the Running backstays, they are not a replacement for the permanent backstays. Instead they are attached part way down the mast at the hounds of the jibstay or babystay (what you are calling an intermediate stay) and brace the mast at the Jibstay or baby stay to counter act the enormous forward forces that occur at this intermediate point in the mast in heavy conditions that is exerted by the 'intermediate stay'.

Jeff

Hi,

I have just started my business / sailing plan for a circumnavigation in 2011. I have been looking at Beneteaus in the 38-42ft / $100k-$120k range because of they appear to offer good value for money. Can anyone recommend what the most well built model of Beneteau in this range is and any other makes that should be considered. I sailed a 34ft Rival for years and have been eyeing up Hallberg-Rassy's because of there well known circumnavigating ability, however, in the size I need the price range is a little high.

Thanks

Peter
phollihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 08:40   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Welcome aboard phollihn. I was looking at certain Beneteau's myself, mostly used Idyll 50's because of the turn of speed you can get from them. I want to be able to put miles behind me, not drift along in a tank. I recently read of a 36.7 that did a circumnav without issues. From what I understand, the First boats are the best built Benes out there. These were replaced by the .7 boats IIRC.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:49   #41

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
I would strongly consider my advice. Don't do it despite everything you hear and maybe see. I've been on bene's many times and they are made fro coastal sailing. Not Circumnavigations. And if you've been onboard one and look well, you know why.
Buy a second hand, but better built ship (of a better brand) for the same price and don't put your selfs in harms way.
Yes, you may make it without trouble but i've been along delivery skippers around the globe to many times that confessed that it was crazy to sail around the world in any coastal cruiser such as bavaria, benneteau, first, jeaneeaauuuu or whatever.
Sorry, don't want to spoil the fun but a tap on the shoulder is not what you are looking for right?
Good Luck!
Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:42   #42
jzk

We have a Beneteau 47.7, and I would sail it anywhere. The boat is STRONG. The main drawback is that it draws 7' 7". I would also sail a Beneteau 50 anywhere as well. Issues we have had with the Bene have been a few undersized things like jam cleats and the boom vang. Also, I hate that you have to hold the shower sump pump to make it work.

I used to look down at Bene's also before we got one. Now I don't.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:03   #43

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
of course, no offence but since you paid for it, you may as well love it.
I congratualated my own sister on having bought one (new!) this July, but hope she doesn't take it any further than the english channel..
Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:18   #44
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
of course, no offence but since you paid for it, you may as well love it.
I congratualated my own sister on having bought one (new!) this July, but hope she doesn't take it any further than the english channel..
Actually, when I say "we," I mean my father. Its not like I am talking about my kid or anything, and I can't be objective. From what I have learned about it having sailed it for the last 8 years, I would sail it anywhere but for the draft which makes it innapropriate for places like the Bahamas.

What sorts of things would concern you? Have you ever seen one with a chainplate or hull failure? Or anything else of concern? Are you aware of any Beneteau's that "didn't make it" or almost didn't make it somewhere?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:30   #45
jzk

Of course, all Beneteaus were not created equally, but this is what water sailing">Blue Water Sailing Magazine had to say about the 43:

"In a market that is crowded with 43-foot cruising boats, the new Beneteau 43 stands out as an example of how to create a safe blue-water quality cruising boat that offers the accommodations and amenities many owners desire while providing a value that is hard to beat."

Tags
beneteau