Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 18:37   #1

Choosing a Pilothouse Motorsailer

I'd first like to thank all of you folks for your great articles and advice, I've enjoyed them.

I am asking for your advice on choosing a pilothouse motorsailer, in the 30 to 39 foot range which can be handled by a new sailing couple. I have attached a photo of a boat similar to my vision: Fales Navigator Cutter Rigged Pilothouse Motorsailer found at sailingworld.com for $26,900.(1976 Fales Navigator Cutter Rigged Pilothouse Motorsailer Sail Boat For Sale -)

About me: Sailing experience less than 1 year, ASA 101, 103, and 104 will be completed by February. Our home port is San Pedro, California USA. I have over a 10 years of motor boating experience in coastal waters.

Objective: Sail the West coast, from San Pedro to Ketchikan Alaska. It is my intent to sail the inside passage with only one other crew member. I am planning a liveaboard situation.

Requirements: The marinas that I am both familiar with, and interested in require a minimum of a 30 foot boat for this purpose. I'd like to stay under 40 feet, due to limited crew, and berthing availability. I am most interested in a pilothouse for the added warmth, and its familiarity. Minimum 4 berths. 1 full size bed. Built after 1970.

Preferences: Aft cabin, separate shower, diesel engine, refrigeration, clear walking area on deck - free of rigging.

Budget: My budget is flexible, based on condition. However I would prefer to stay under $55,000 US dollars. My budget could double if the boat were turnkey condition with excellent rigging, sails, and a complete electronics package.

I welcome your input on choosing both my future home and sailboat.

- Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat like this..jpg
Views:	1857
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	71706  
mclpa2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Choosing a Pilothouse Motorsailer

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bob.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:08   #3

Bob,

out of curiosity what kind of boat is that you have pictured? I personally am very interested in the Gulf 32 and Freedom 39 Pilothouse. For you though I don't think either wil quite fit your needs. The Gulf 32 has a nicer pilothouse look to it, flush deck and, in my opinion, looks great. But at only 32 feet it does not have a separate shower, has one double bunk and a single quarter berth. The dinette of course converts so total sleeping space may work for you, but there is no aft cabin at all.

The freedom 39 pilot house more fits in the "Deck Salon" category as the pilot house is not very raised. The benefit here is that its a much more capable sailboat. It does have an aft cabin, forward V berth and a separate shower. The Cat Schooner rig is very easy to manage single handed and overall the boat is at the maximum end of your size range.

Both of these boats may be worth looking at. The Gulf 32 is considered (by sailing purists) to be a motorsailer based on its sail area to displacement ratio, but most owners say it sails well enough and has an excellent ride "seakindly motion" due to its full length keel.

The Gulf 32's on yachtworld range in price from $30k-$44K The Freedom 39 pilothouse is a little more, in the $60k range, and much more rare of a boat.

Good Luck, and don't forget, what is that boat you have pictured?

Stephen
Transporter2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 14:14   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'

That Fales Navigator looks like it has some serious rot issues in the house. As they are saying "No Sea Trial No Survey" I'd be suspicious of rot in the hull as well.
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 16:05   #5

Stephen,

Thank you for your response, and the great input you have provided. I will check out the Gulf 32 and Freedom 39 Pilothouse.

I have attached a photo of a boat similar to my vision: Fales Navigator Cutter Rigged Pilothouse Motorsailer found at sailingworld.com for $26,900.(1976 Fales Navigator Cutter Rigged Pilothouse Motorsailer Sail Boat For Sale -)

- Bob
Old 08-12-2013, 16:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosemiester View Post
That Fales Navigator looks like it has some serious rot issues in the house. As they are saying "No Sea Trial No Survey" I'd be suspicious of rot in the hull as well.
Moose -

I am still in the "figure it out" stage. I am not interested in that particular boat, rather that "type" of boat. If you can suggest a similar boat, or a boat that would might fit the needs I have listed, I would sure appreciate the input.

Thanks,

- Bob
Old 08-12-2013, 16:13   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Choosing a Pilothouse Motorsailer

I was going to say a Fisher 37.. then I saw your price range.. Oppppssss
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	307.jpg
Views:	15482
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	71735  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 16:19   #8

Boatman -

The Fisher 37 looks pretty good. I just found one at yachtworld:

1977 Fisher 37 Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

for $47,500. is that not the usual price? Is my budget too low?

Thanks,
- bob
Old 08-12-2013, 16:20   #9

Thanks Gord!
Old 08-12-2013, 16:25   #10

Boat: PSC Orion 27

A bit late as I just accepted an offer on my Tanzer 10.5, but it's a great boat if you can find one on this coast. Another one worth looking at is the Northsea 34.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 16:28   #11

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Your question interests me mainly because you sound like you have considerable experience in power boats but also like the 'feel' or looks of a sailboat. I'd be interested in hearing why you feel a blend of the two would be the answer for you and your partner. It has been my experience that you should go one way or the other. I've delivered all kinds of sail and power on the west coast from Panama to Alaska in both directions and always found one or the other works but a motor sailor brought the worst of both worlds because most I'd been on sailed like dogs and lacked sufficient power to get you out of a bad spot offshore. Commercial fishing in the Bering Sea taught me to have reliable power plants anywhere north of 55 degreees but folks have done the NW Passage under sail alone and survived if survival sailing is what you're after. If you venture up that way, consider steel! There are a couple of folks aboard here who are outfitting Nauticats which I hear are a great blend of sail and power but I've only been aboard a smaller one in Ensenada that was owned by the guy who started Baja Naval years ago. She was beautifully appointed but was never away from the dock aboard her. Good luck with your search... sounds like a fun adventure you have planned. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 16:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I was going to say a Fisher 37.. then I saw your price range.. Oppppssss
Moose -

I just found a Fisher 37 on Yachtworld for $47,500. Is that not the going rate for this boat? At a quick glance she's very close to what I'm looking for. Do you have any experience with the Fisher 37 you would be willing to share? Or any advice on her?

Thanks,

- Bob
Old 08-12-2013, 16:48   #13

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

That Fales appears to be a possible money pit. $26,900 is a low price for good reason. I would expect more than a few issues with this one.

The Fales navigator are a beautiful boat if you can find one in good condition. Many were sold as hull only with owners doing the final fitout. Not necessarily a problem, but a very good survey would be suggested. Any seller not allowing a survey is a big warning sign.

The Fales are closely related to (copied from?) the Willard, who also make a nice motorsailer.
Both have a very soft chined hull with canoe stern. Very efficient and seaworthy design. They can be a bit rolly in a beam sea when motoring with no wind, but normally that is not an issue.

Also check out a Fisher 30 or 34. Perhaps a Banjer 37. Have a look at this site for a few more ideas. Monohulls

A motorsailer is the perfect choice for your situation, in my biased opinion.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 16:51   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Choosing a Pilothouse Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclpa2b View Post
Moose -

I just found a Fisher 37 on Yachtworld for $47,500. Is that not the going rate for this boat? At a quick glance she's very close to what I'm looking for. Do you have any experience with the Fisher 37 you would be willing to share? Or any advice on her?

Thanks,

- Bob
Go to Southerly Yachts web site and you'll find any info you need there I would think.. a good solid boat designed and built for tough waters around the UK..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 16:55   #15

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

There's a beautiful Tai Chaio CT35 Pilothouse on Sailboatlistings.com. I've sailed one and it sailed great. Very well built with all teak interior. The engine is below the salon sole with very good access. It is 35 on deck and 42 LOA.

1976 Tai Chaio Ship <B>CT 35</B> Pilothouse sailboat for sale in Florida+
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorsailer, sail