Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 16:56   #16

Re: Choosing a Pilothouse Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
A bit late as I just accepted an offer on my Tanzer 10.5, but it's a great boat if you can find one on this coast. Another one worth looking at is the Northsea 34.
A day late and 10 dollars short... the story of my life. Thanks for the input, I'll check them out.

- Bob
mclpa2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 17:07   #17

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderluster View Post
There's a beautiful Tai Chaio CT35 Pilothouse on Sailboatlistings.com. I've sailed one and it sailed great. Very well built with all teak interior. The engine is below the salon sole with very good access. It is 35 on deck and 42 LOA.

1976 Tai Chaio Ship <B>CT 35</B> Pilothouse sailboat for sale in Florida+

Nice!
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 21:18   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Your question interests me mainly because you sound like you have considerable experience in power boats but also like the 'feel' or looks of a sailboat. I'd be interested in hearing why you feel a blend of the two would be the answer for you and your partner. It has been my experience that you should go one way or the other. I've delivered all kinds of sail and power on the west coast from Panama to Alaska in both directions and always found one or the other works but a motor sailor brought the worst of both worlds because most I'd been on sailed like dogs and lacked sufficient power to get you out of a bad spot offshore. Commercial fishing in the Bering Sea taught me to have reliable power plants anywhere north of 55 degreees but folks have done the NW Passage under sail alone and survived if survival sailing is what you're after. If you venture up that way, consider steel! There are a couple of folks aboard here who are outfitting Nauticats which I hear are a great blend of sail and power but I've only been aboard a smaller one in Ensenada that was owned by the guy who started Baja Naval years ago. She was beautifully appointed but was never away from the dock aboard her. Good luck with your search... sounds like a fun adventure you have planned. Cheers, Phil

Capt. Phil,

Thank you for your response and interest to my question.

I first selected a pilothouse for the weather protection and due to my motoring experience aboard trawlers and convertibles, feel more comfortable aboard pilothouse sailboats. I also like the location of the helm station forward, which for me provides better visibility, not quite a fly bridge, but far better than an aft helm. The pilothouse seemed to be a natural fit for me. I can't recall finding a pilothouse that wasn't also referred to as a motorsailer. The transition from motoring and "motorsailing" I had thought would allow me to make a more comfortable transition to sailing. The appeal for me is the range, and frankly the peace and quiet afforded by sailing.

The only experience I have aboard a motorsailboat is aboard a Nauticat 50+. Far too large, and pricey for my liking, nonetheless a beautiful and stout vessel.

Thank you for pointing out that motorsailers do no handle well under sail. This is information I really need to know. Is there a pilothouse sailboat you would feel comfortable recommending? Forgive my ignorance, and in large part why I am here asking these questions; are motorsalers and pilothouse sailboats mutually exclusive?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 08-12-2013, 21:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
That Fales appears to be a possible money pit. $26,900 is a low price for good reason. I would expect more than a few issues with this one.

The Fales navigator are a beautiful boat if you can find one in good condition. Many were sold as hull only with owners doing the final fitout. Not necessarily a problem, but a very good survey would be suggested. Any seller not allowing a survey is a big warning sign.

The Fales are closely related to (copied from?) the Willard, who also make a nice motorsailer.
Both have a very soft chined hull with canoe stern. Very efficient and seaworthy design. They can be a bit rolly in a beam sea when motoring with no wind, but normally that is not an issue.

Also check out a Fisher 30 or 34. Perhaps a Banjer 37. Have a look at this site for a few more ideas. Monohulls

A motorsailer is the perfect choice for your situation, in my biased opinion.
Kokanee,

Thanks! I'll check into your recommendations. Please feel free to add any further information you feel would benefit me in the selection process. If you have any experience on these boats I'd love to hear any anecdotes you are willing to share.

-Bob
Old 08-12-2013, 21:54   #20

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I'll probably catch hell for using numbers to equate sail performance, but here goes anyway; look for something above 13 sail area to displacement. e.g. Gulf 32=14.6, Fisher=9.8, Southerly 110=14.2. Once they get up and go a low SA/D will get to hull speed but in light or variable winds you'll spend a lot more time motoring.
Here's a link to a database. Just remember a lot of these numbers don't mean anything and real world performance is the only judge.
Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats
Peace out,
Goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:25   #21

Boat: Ezcurra Steel Custom 60' lifting keel

Hi I have Bruce Roberts 370 pilot house, have an internal wheel and a external tiller, engine is not the strongest but push the boat ok.
Thre cabins, refleks diesel heater ( keep the boat very good) and sail very nice, average of 6 kts under sail.
Did more than 30000 miles on last 4 years and cross the atlantic with no problems.
Confortable ( we are a family off 4 plus a lab)
Economy 2,5 lts x Hs engine
Long range with 2000 liters of diesel capacity.
Only con is the draft is 1.9 mts , but I hope to change that on a near future.
You can see pics at ypake.blogspot.com thats our blog.
Fair winds
Ypake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 13:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclpa2b View Post
Boatman -

The Fisher 37 looks pretty good. I just found one at yachtworld:

1977 Fisher 37 Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

for $47,500. is that not the usual price? Is my budget too low?

Thanks,
- bob
Hi Bob,
I just wonder how your search ended... I was exactly in the same situation, looking to move from motoring to 'motorsaling' researched and searched the market about 9 months. Ended up with a semi-project Fisher37.
Waiting now to start the refit. I know Fisher 37 is rear in your area, but here in Europe, they are highly desired. Let me know if you need references or literature about them. Wish you success.
Plamen
gamberoni54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 14:41   #23

Here is a nice one:
snaggletooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 20:10   #24

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Snaggle, what kind of boat is that?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 20:13   #25

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggletooth View Post
Here is a nice one:
Do you think I could get that for 20K Cdn
Old 08-02-2014, 21:43   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I agree with your logic about a pilothouse for inside passage work to Alaska.
Always seems to be headwinds around the corner, or no winds, so motoring with sail assist against tides is often the norm

You might enjoy reading thru this
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ght=Pilothouse
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 22:06   #27

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Years ago, I was aboard the work vessel Tempest, for about one week in Alaska's Prince William Sound. One day, two young dudes (on a 30 foot "normal" sailboat) from the lower 48 pulled into this dock right behind us.

The men were cold and wet. Not just sorta cold - I mean hypothermic uncontrollable shaking cold. Every piece of clothing they had was wet. They were absolutely miserable.

My witnessing these peoples situation was a major motivator for adding a pilot house to Panope.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img370.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	75569  
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 22:29   #28

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

The Nauticat "yachts" as different to the Nauticat motorsailors do sail well. They are basically sailboats (with an S&S designed hull if I remember right) with a large engine and inside steering station.

I have a N42 and she sails just fine but she also has a 145hp diesel for when there's insufficient wind.

The N39 - with a 75hp engine - might be closer to what you are looking for.

This one is on the market 1992 Nauticat 39 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com as is this one NAUTICAT 39 sailing yacht for sale | De Valk Yacht broker - Jachtmakelaar but unfortunately they don't come cheap.

The Nauticats are, however, built like the proverbial brick sh*thouses.
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 23:04   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Years ago, I was aboard the work vessel Tempest, for about one week in Alaska's Prince William Sound. One day, two young dudes (on a 30 foot "normal" sailboat) from the lower 48 pulled into this dock right behind us.

The men were cold and wet. Not just sorta cold - I mean hypothermic uncontrollable shaking cold. Every piece of clothing they had was wet. They were absolutely miserable.

My witnessing these peoples situation was a major motivator for adding a pilot house to Panope.

Steve
Absolutely... plus enough fuel to motor if need be... Have towed a few shivering and miserable sailors in the past

I have sailed north from Vancouver in January in a Truant like this to Minstrel Island and back

Op should check this one out
Sailboats: 33' Truant Truant 33 PH Sloop - Listing #: 3614
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:36   #30
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post

Steve
+1

..and sawing me mast off, putting in an aux backup engine, and getting a 4,000 gallon fuel tank.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorsailer, sail