Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2008, 16:30   #1

Choosing a boat - ocean crossing

Hello and thanks for reading my post,

I'm planning to buy a yacht in which to do some blue water cruising, including some major ocean crossings.

At the moment much of the literature is pointing towards an S&S 34 - they're affordable (~$70k AUD) and are proven.

However, i wondered whether there were other boats that I should consider - perhaps even a little bigger?

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND ALTERNATIVE SUITABLE BOATS?

I think that we're planning to spend around $70 AUD.

Thanks and happy sailing,

Steve
Steve Pereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 16:57   #2
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Where will you be purchaing your boat?
Old 13-12-2008, 17:07   #3

Ah yes, an important point!

At this stage, probably Perth. However, i'd consider most place in Australia for the right boat. (definitely within australia though).
Old 13-12-2008, 17:10   #4
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
OK I have information about Water boats">blue water boats that I have recently seen near my boat in the BVI, same yard where I keep mine out of the water for now.

Good luck in your search, other sailors will soon give you good advice
Old 14-12-2008, 13:28   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Nothing wrong with S&S34.
Look out also for
S&S36 and
S&S39 VICSAIL

Given your stated price of approx. AUD$70k, you may want to keep your eyes open for some of the follwing:

Farr 1104 VICSAIL
Farr 37(IOR) eg Boat Sales Tasmania - Farr 37 ( Jutson Upgrades) or Boat Sales Tasmania - Farr 37

There is currently for sale, In hobart, a great little Dubois 34' 3/4 tonner (IOR) that is in really good condition and has had about $35k spent on it in the last 2 years in sails and electronics, etc. They are asking $49k, but you would probably get it for 45... frankly, it is not ideal for short-handed sailing, but it is a great boat at a great price Boat Sales Tasmania - Davidson 34

You could also look at Adams 40 Maurice Drent Boating Services... although usually more expensive than your budget.

Young 10 (Jim Young)
Mottle 33 (Joe Adams)
East Coast 31 (Peter Cole)
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 01:18   #6

Thanks heaps Weyalan - those boats certainly look like just the ticket and it's nice to know that there are some cheaper options if we don't manage to raise the $70k.

We're probably not going to buy for another 12 months or so. At this stage we're researching as much as possible and keeping an eye on the market.
Old 15-12-2008, 12:46   #7

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
In my far from qualified opinion, you do not, in general, get too many great ocean going cruising yachts that are easy to sail short handed, at your price point... they are all going to be a compromise in some way: Either by size, or by being less than ideally set up short handed sailing, or by lacking in some of the creature comforts of more expensive cruising boats, or being in need of work (all boats need work, to a lesser or greater extent. Boat buying is something of a compromise regardless of your budget.

I bought a boat 3 years ago, with pretty much the same budget as you (my budget was $AUD 75k including delivery). I ended up going with a bigger boat (40') which was far from ideal in terms of its sailability short-handed, and had a very basic fit out. I have been refitting down below and working (slowly) towards making it easier to sail short handed... but still using the boat.

Now (and for the coming months) is a great time to be buying... it is a buyers market and you should get more boat for your dollar than you might normally expect.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 14:16   #8

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
He could get himself into a Westsail 32 for his price range and still have money leftover for boat improvements.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 11:06   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Weyalan left Duncanson off the list. The 34 and 35 are good sea boats that should bbe in that price range.

Quote:
He could get himself into a Westsail 32 for his price range and still have money leftover for boat improvements.
Not in Australia he couldn't. There ain't none, or but a very few.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ocean crossing