Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2015, 05:25   #1

Choice for single handed?

I currently sail a Drascombe Lugger single handed which is fairly straightforward. I am hoping to buy another sailing boat which I will also sail single handed. I appreciate people sail all sorts (and sizes) of yachts single handed but my sailing habits are that I go sailing about 120 times a year but only for brief periods of about 4 hours. During this time I may stow my sails and have an hours fishing.

I have recently sailed a Sigma 33 and have deemed this totally unsuitable for my needs.

I am 60 yrs old but fairly fit.

Please could anyone suggest a sailing vessel genuinely suitable for single handed but larger than the Lugger and with some accommodation.

Any other advice appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
Mike1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 05:59   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Choice for single handed?

Are you in North America or Europe? Answer affects the likely canidates.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 06:06   #3

UK

Mike
Mike1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 07:04   #4

Boat: PSC Orion 27

What made the Sigma unsuitable?
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 07:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
What made the Sigma unsuitable?
I had the same question.

My opinion, based on coastal single handing a couple of boats is that 99% of what makes a boat suitable is just a matter of setting up the lines, cleats and such to work for you.

Some boats would be more trouble or expense than they're worth but almost any boat can be set up to easily singlehand with a bit of work.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 07:42   #6

Boat: Grampian 26

Hi Mike,
My first boat was a Drascombe Longboat. You don't see many Luggers in Canada or any Drascombes actually. I never did sail her single handed.

Thirty years later I singlehand a Grampian 26. Although they have a Scottish heritage they were made in Oakville, Ontario.

For me a good boat for sailing alone would be one that is very easy to sail. After that it is just a matter of bringing all lines aft and installing as much self furling as possible. I find an auto tiller very handy too when I need to check charts/GPS or make a cuppa.

Cheers,

Allan
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 07:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
I currently sail a Drascombe Lugger single handed which is fairly straightforward. I am hoping to buy another sailing boat which I will also sail single handed. I appreciate people sail all sorts (and sizes) of yachts single handed but my sailing habits are that I go sailing about 120 times a year but only for brief periods of about 4 hours. During this time I may stow my sails and have an hours fishing.

I have recently sailed a Sigma 33 and have deemed this totally unsuitable for my needs.

Please could anyone suggest a sailing vessel genuinely suitable for single handed but larger than the Lugger and with some accommodation.

Thanks

Mike
Howdy Mike!

I am not in the UK, and so I don't have the familiarity with the boat brands commonly seen there that a UK resident would. But, I do look at those boats (daily) and have been interested to see the many different brands I don't see here in the USA.

As I recall, Boatman61 (one of the members of this forum) has recommended a Westerly Centaur (26 footer as I recall) a number of times, as a smaller cruiser (lower budget under $35K) that is relatively roomy and safe for coastal cruising and perhaps beyond, if one is skilled. I believe he owned one. From what I can see in the photos, they do look like a nice small cruiser that has more interior volume than most.

Here is a link to a typical one now for sale. It is £ 11,500 (US$ 18,054) 1979 model.
1979 Westerly Centaur Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

But, as I always say on this forum when folks ask "Which Boat" there is another question to answer first: "Which Budget?"

When the budget is big enough, many boats are possible. At a smaller budget, less options available.

So, name your budget, and where you want to sail too (just coastal UK or beyond). That way it helps others here suggest boats that fit your goals and your budget.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Westerly Centaur 26ft 1979 $17K Dock.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	103934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Westerly Centaur 26ft 1979 $17K cockpit2.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	103935  

Name:	Westerly Centaur 26ft 1979 $17K Salon.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	103936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Westerly Centaur 26ft 1979 $17K sailing.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	103937  

Name:	Westerly Centaur 26ft 1979 $17K settee.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	103938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Westerly Centaur 26ft 1979 $17K galley.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	103939  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 07:50   #8

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I had the same question.

My opinion, based on coastal single handing a couple of boats is that 99% of what makes a boat suitable is just a matter of setting up the lines, cleats and such to work for you.

Some boats would be more trouble or expense than they're worth but almost any boat can be set up to easily singlehand with a bit of work.
+1 What Skipmac said! It's not about which boat but how you equip her to singlehand.

Autohelm, electric windlass, roller furling and lazy jacks round out the idea. Larger boats with bow thrusters are ideal for docking or mooring ease.

How much room do you need below relates to how much room you need while maneuvering in close quarters. The more room you have the more time you should be taking .... and of course that always equates to how much $$$ you'll spend to equip to your comfort level.
PuttingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 07:57   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Since you mentioned you are 60 but fit.

And I believe "you are only as old as you feel….

I also want to mention another boat that comes highly recommended.

The Pogo 8.5 (28ft). A 2008 model is now about $67K.

It is a much more recent design (based on French racing boats), has twin rudders, a more open deck, more open salon, and is built for speed and sporty fun. It might be a challenge to single hand, but as you say you are fit now, it might not be too much boat (I would try).

On the other hand, it is the kind of boat on which I think you would have NO trouble getting someone younger to crew with you, unlike the older (more sedate) Centaur.

I imagine it would be a LOT of fun to sail, and could truly open up all kinds of new possibilities for fun and exciting times.

The Pogo is highly recommended by another forum member, Polux. The boat is more open inside, but does have several berths, and settees, and room for a small galley. The cockpit is very different from the Centaur, and a very different hull shape. Think "Performance" oriented sailing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pogo 8.5 28ft 2008 $69K sailing.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	103943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pogo 8.5 28ft 2008 $69K sailing2.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	103944  

Name:	Pogo 8.5 28ft 2008 $69K stern.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	103945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pogo 8.5 28ft 2008 $69K cockpit.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	103946  

Old 19-06-2015, 07:57   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

How about a Cornish Crabber?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 08:10   #11

Boat: Hanse 415

I have a Hanse 415 that I could single hand if needed. They are made in Germany, so I would think easily available in the UK. 415 may be larger than you had in mind, but a smaller version would work with the same setup. All the lines are brought aft, to just in front of the steering. There are electric winches on each side that can be reached from the steering. Self tacking jib makes the crew simply sit down when you yell out "prepare to tack!" We still laugh about it years later.
markol0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 08:11   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
How about a Cornish Crabber?
Good suggestion.

I like traditional styled boats, and the Cornish Crabber is one that has caught my eye too. I like the look. Of course I like woodies too. But, a modern GRP (Fiberglass) hull would not be unloved too.
Old 19-06-2015, 08:12   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I singlehand my Pearson 30 all the time. Even when I have guests, I'm still pretty much singlehanding the boat.

I have found that a good jib on a roller furler makes life much easier. If the boat sails well under jib alone, I see little reason to raise the main, which is a lot of work to stow afterwards.

I know I lose a little speed, but if I were in a hurry, I wouldn't be on a sailboat...LOL.

Also, being alone on just about any boat means you have ALL the space to yourself...so IMHO, almost any boat will have enough "space" for you and your stuff.

You should get the biggest boat you can afford, and the smallest one you can tolerate.

My P30 is 40 years old, no high tech wonder by any means. But an autohelm ST2000+ does the steering. I've got a 15kg bruce on the bow, lowered and raised by hand. And a roller furled jib on the forestay. Most days, that's all I need, along with a little lunch and a coffee prepared on an ORIGO 3000 stove below.

Perhaps you should not be thinking so much about a boat that is suitable for singlehanding, but considering perhaps your own skills?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 08:22   #14

Boat: Cadtana 431

Grampian 26 is a great choice, as is anything without a radical fin keel. Fins seem to require more fiddling with the helm. I had a Bob Perry Tatoosh witha "long fin" keel, and could balance it perfectly, changing direction slightly by moving around on deck. I put a Monitor wind vane on it and did about 20K miles singlehanded.
-Steve, in Virginia
sailsw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 08:26   #15
cruiser

Boat: San Juan 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post

Thanks

Mike
Freedom or Nonsuch are likely easiest for single handing and both are well built and excellent for coastal cruising.
TanzerTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single