Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 23:03   #76

Boat: Many
Re: Check out this Ocean Going Machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Seven furlers on one boat! Just had to post a few pics of this approx. 80' aluminum staysail schooner, because it's pretty cool. I really like everything about it. Sorry about the poor quality phone camera pics, I was paddling in my kayak.

Not the best rig for sailing. It would be faster with two booms. I should have a main boom in any case. Clearly the owner is over 75 and can't handle anything but the easiest of rigs. Victoria, sistership to Ticonderoga was re-rigged like this, ditching the foremast boom for ease of sailing.

I've seen this boat or pictures of it elsewhere. It is noteworthy for the lack of booms. I don't see how it would sail well downwind without a boom.

Regarding the other pictures, the in-boom furling is a neat. The two sails will allow that motor sailor to reduce fuel consumption somewhat. It also strikes me as a bad idea, as it increases the cost a lot, and unless it can sail at a decent speed under sail alone, which I doubt, it is a pointless waste of money and will take too many years to recoup the cost of the rig in fuel savings. Show me the owner and designer and I will laugh at them.
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 23:21   #77
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Check out this Ocean Going Machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Sailor View Post

Not the best rig for sailing. It would be faster with two booms. I should have a main boom in any case. Clearly the owner is over 75 and can't handle anything but the easiest of rigs. Victoria, sistership to Ticonderoga was re-rigged like this, ditching the foremast boom for ease of sailing.

What a pleasant opinion! Clearly "the best rig for sailing" is subjective. You seem to prioritize speed, perhaps this owner doesn't share your enthusiasm in this regard? Maybe they are more concerned with crossing oceans safely and with minimal effort with a short crew instead of squeezing every possible fraction of a knot out of it? Certainly a much sounder attitude for cruising than yours appears to be.

I've seen this boat or pictures of it elsewhere. It is noteworthy for the lack of booms. I don't see how it would sail well downwind without a boom.

Some of those furlers are asymetricals with poles, obviously.

Regarding the other pictures, the in-boom furling is a neat. The two sails will allow that motor sailor to reduce fuel consumption somewhat. It also strikes me as a bad idea, as it increases the cost a lot, and unless it can sail at a decent speed under sail alone, which I doubt, it is a pointless waste of money and will take too many years to recoup the cost of the rig in fuel savings. Show me the owner and designer and I will laugh at them.
The motor sailor, as you would know if you had actually read the thread before posting, is a Nordhavn. They claim she does 8 knots under sail alone. As the worlds most successful long range trawler manufacturers (and the most expensive), I seriously doubt they are concerned by your laughter.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:04   #78

Re: Check out this Ocean going Machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
300 views and no comment!
Well, You "did" only ask us to check it out, not comment on it.
-Bruce
Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote