Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2013, 14:59   #1

Boat: CD 26D.
Changing The Bottom Color - Easy Job?

Hi all, I'm interested in changing my brand new Cape Dory's hull to a darker color, it's currently light blue. I was wondering, since it was just done last year AND was just pressure-washed this week, if this would be an easy chore.

The previous anti fouling paint on there is "Pettit ultima 40sr". Would it be acceptable and fine to order some darker color of similar brand and just slap two coats on there?

Thank you so much!

Is it okay to apply with a brush?!!
Old 18-05-2013, 15:11   #2

Boat: Alberg 30
A quick scuff sand or scrub wouldn't hurt. You could use a roller, and with all the time you'd save over using a brush, have both steps done in around the same amount of time.
Sticking to the same type of paint is smart. That's more care than many take!
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 15:20   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Changing The Bottom Color - Easy Job???!

Should be fine to paint over the existing paint if the paint is compatible with the old paint. Don't know what the Pettit paint is but would ask them what paints are compatible with the current paint and test whatever paint you decide on to be sure it doesn't lift the old paint.

Personally, I'd stick with the old paint till it needs redoing. You'll almost never see the current bottom paint and will learn to live with it. Doing a bottom can cost several boat units. I could surely find other places on the boat to my money. If you are using an ablative paint, build up is not an issue. With hard vinyl or other non sluffing paints, paint build up can be an issue. The periodic removal of built up coats of bottom paint gets real expensive and is not fun to do.

Paint can be applied with a brush but I find that a pain. Much prefer rollling on bottom paint which is a much faster and easier way to apply it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 15:21   #4

Boat: CD 26D.

Okay, so you don't see any major problems? I wasn't even going to sand, lol, it's just so messy. Blue paint dust is getting all over me/the driveway/my clothes!!!

Is a dark green bottom paint a good choice? Or will whales try and have sex with the boat?! (srs)
Old 18-05-2013, 15:29   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Hydrowash it clean, scuff with a 3M pad, and you are good to go. Simple.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 16:35   #6

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMN View Post
Okay, so you don't see any major problems? I wasn't even going to sand, lol, it's just so messy. Blue paint dust is getting all over me/the driveway/my clothes!!!

Is a dark green bottom paint a good choice? Or will whales try and have sex with the boat?! (srs)
Not really sanding, more just a quick once over, either with sandpaper, or a scrubbing pad(like the 3m mentioned). Can even do it with a bucket of water to dip the pad or paper in(whichever is handy is the one I'd use) to avoid the dust. Just enough to give the surface some scratches for better bonding, shouldn't take much time and hardly any real dust.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 17:41   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

As far as changing the color -- lots of us who use ablative paints deliberately use a different color for the first and the second coats. This way as the paint wears away you see a color change when it is half gone and it gives an early warning.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 18-05-2013, 18:10   #8

Quote:

If you're going to sand, use suitable paper and sand WET. The dust from antifoul is toxic.

A quick wet rub with a fairly coarse grit will shift any loose or flaking paint, and give the new stuff something solid to stick to.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 20:01   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I just did this this week. Lifted the boat on the yard in Astoria. Quick sand with 120 grit and vacuum sander. Remember this stuff is toxic. Wipe down with acetone (also toxic). Then two coats of my new bottom paint and I am good for another 24 months. (I hope). Changed color from black to light blue (on request of the divers and yard that want to be able to judge the growth easier on the underside.)
Did all this with wind blowing ( but not hard) be careful of your exposure to these chemicals.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 21:37   #10

Boat: Seafarer36c

Newt; you may have been duped by the bottom cleaners; dark paint has more copper than light paint.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 21:55   #11

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Changing The Bottom Color - Easy Job???!

Quote:
...Is a dark green bottom paint a good choice? Or will whales try and have sex with the boat?! (srs)
This point was discussed maybe a couple of years ago. Here's one. There are more. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...les-45168.html

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 22:12   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Changing The Bottom Color - Easy Job?

Not many people see the bottom paint of my vessel when she lifts her skrits in a brisk breeze! I, myself and at the helm, never lean out to see this painted surface. I'm pretty sure it's black as I recall, but it could be brown or red,- ...no I think black! Is your goal to have a fashionable color? Is there a fashionable color for the underwater coating? Tell us more about your motivation!
Old 18-05-2013, 22:30   #13

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
As far as changing the color -- lots of us who use ablative paints deliberately use a different color for the first and the second coats. This way as the paint wears away you see a color change when it is half gone and it gives an early warning.

Cheers,

Jim
agree above, just spent the weekend covering my black hull with light blue - its also easy to see if you've missed any bits putting it on, too.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 07:09   #14

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Changing The Bottom Color - Easy Job?

The last time I painted my hulls (trimaran), I wanted something different, I wanted brown, so I mixed green with red. It came out better than I thought it would. Six months later it turned to a brighter green than I had originally purchased. The lesson? I'll stick with one color, even if it's just red.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 07:16   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Changing The Bottom Color - Easy Job???!

[QUOTE=NOMN;1238652
Is a dark green bottom paint a good choice? Or will whales try and have sex with the boat?! (srs)[/QUOTE]

No... that only happens with dark top sides & white antifoul...
Another no-no is black antifoul and white topsides... they keep trying to turn you 'right side up'....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote