Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-05-2016, 12:40   #16

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27
Re: Changing name of your sailing vessel

A boat that I'm possibly buying (awaiting the survey results) does not have a name, only a registration number since it is state registered. Was wondering how that was possible, that the vessel had no name, untilme I read this thread. Will some more research on this and may not name the vessel at all (as long as I keep her in US waters)....kinda like the idea now....The boat with no name...

Old 18-05-2016, 12:44   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
A boat that I'm possibly buying (awaiting the survey results) does not have a name, only a registration number since it is state registered. Was wondering how that was possible, that the vessel had no name, untilme I read this thread. Will some more research on this and may not name the vessel at all (as long as I keep her in US waters)....kinda like the idea now....The boat with no name...
Could use that as her name. NoName.

Old 18-05-2016, 13:07   #18

Boat: MacGregor/Venture 25

First you gotta dename it....
Denaming
Then you can rename it...
John Vigor's Blog: How to Rename Your Boat
Old 18-05-2016, 13:17   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
Oh, no . . .

Boat's gotta have a name. No name at all is the worst possible situation.

But naming a boat for the very first time is a joyous occasion. You still need the virgin, but sinking and raising the vessel will not be required. Just choose a name which will please the gods who will be looking down on you and deciding whether to strike you down, or sink you with that storm, or not. Nothing hubristic, for God's sake. Should be modest, and maybe a little humorous -- think about a name which would be the right name for that boat which deserved to survive that freak storm, not the name which would look right ironically plastered on the debris after a shipwreck.
Old 18-05-2016, 13:25   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtngeo View Post
First you gotta dename it....
Denaming
Then you can rename it...
John Vigor's Blog: How to Rename Your Boat
That's bogus, of course. The real one is in Greek. And it's secret.
Old 18-05-2016, 13:31   #21

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'

I'm glad I can just name my boat without all that Canadian approval!

However,... I've always heard you can re-name a boat without issue. As long as you do the proper ceremony...

So,.. You sail out to an open area. Do three (3) complete 360 degree turns. Then everyone aboard has to throw rocks at the serpent (the old name) following the boat. Which has been protecting said boat (under that old name). This "knocks off" the original serpent.

Thus allowing you to re-name and invite in the new serpent (name), to take over.

If you fail to do this,.. The serpent names will not only fight and drag your boat into doom. They don't protect her from the sea as they fight.

I've also heard this is a bigger issue when you try to cross the equator without a name.

Old 18-05-2016, 13:43   #22

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

I found some ceremony involving a tree branch or something on the bow (I used a magnolia flower) and all these nice words that my mother read off as I popped some champagne and sprayed it all over the anchor like I had just won an F1 race. Overall I'm satisfied with the way things went down, and I like to think I hold a pretty good rapport with Poseidon, so knock on wood. (boat hasn't sunk yet)
Old 18-05-2016, 14:33   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

In 1971 I changed the name on my newly purchased 30' S&S from "Easy Rider" to "Aythya" and in 1985 I changed the name on my newly purchased 41' Morgan from "'L'Ultima" to "Aythya".

I used the same ritual for each event. First, there was the softening of the pigments forming the original name with the application of organic solvents. Second, came some vigorous scrubbing followed by a rubbing compound. For the last step, I hired a name changing guru with skills using paint brushes to add the new name.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the most common and successful ceremony!
Old 18-05-2016, 14:37   #24

Boat: Downeaster 38

I've bought a couple boats with really dumb names that I considered an insult to the boat so we have come up with an "approved" ceremony that usually attracts most of the souls in the boatyard.
I always do it when the boat is on the hard as I consider that the time the boat's soul is farthest away. Then (I actually Googled this) you take everything on the boat with the old boat name on it off the boat or sand the name off or something.
Have the new name put on and at launch we blow the conch once facing each of the 4 winds, something with the old boat name must be committed to the deep (we write the name of the old boat on a stone and chuck it into the harbor, then we loudly ask Poseidon (or neptune, I forget) to expunge the old name from his records, take the new boat name as his and ask for protection and safe passage always.
When my daughter was young we would have the "ceremony of the dancing virgins" which often confounded the lift operator but consisted of some happy snoopy dancing in front of the boat hanging from the slings.
Then we sprinkle a little of the champagne on the bow and pass the bottle: seafarers communion. It all needs to be done loudly and happily.
Old 18-05-2016, 14:53   #25

Boat: C&C 37/40+

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
There was a guy who not only changed the name of his boat but then proceeded to sail off on a Friday. Needless to say, he sunk on that coming Sunday.
Well, I have sold my boat, the new owner changed the name before it went in last Friday ( no ceremony, to be conducted at a later date apparently), and he will be sailing it to his hometown, leaving this Friday, a distance of 52 nm, we shall see.
Old 18-05-2016, 15:30   #26

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear15 View Post
Well, I have sold my boat, the new owner changed the name before it went in last Friday ( no ceremony, to be conducted at a later date apparently), and he will be sailing it to his hometown, leaving this Friday, a distance of 52 nm, we shall see.
hope he named it Godspeed...
Old 18-05-2016, 15:34   #27

Boat: Downeaster 38

I am not a superstitious sailor but I'd never leave on a Friday. Been there, done that, not doing it again.
Old 18-05-2016, 15:39   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Williams View Post
I am not a superstitious sailor but I'd never leave on a Friday. Been there, done that, not doing it again.
'sounds conflicted. I believe this is superstitious behavior.
Old 18-05-2016, 15:39   #29
vjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
In 1971 I changed the name on my newly purchased 30' S&S from "Easy Rider" to "Aythya" and in 1985 I changed the name on my newly purchased 41' Morgan from "'L'Ultima" to "Aythya".

I used the same ritual for each event. First, there was the softening of the pigments forming the original name with the application of organic solvents. Second, came some vigorous scrubbing followed by a rubbing compound. For the last step, I hired a name changing guru with skills using paint brushes to add the new name.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the most common and successful ceremony!
This is a ceremony I can believe in.
Old 18-05-2016, 16:30   #30

I don't know what kind of boat you have, but if it's a serious cruiser, do take care because it's a potential safety issue. We wanted to change the name of our boat, but when you get down to the nitty-gritty of changing the registrations for the radio licenses, EPIRB, PLBs and all the rest, it becomes a big administrative exercise. The last thing you want in an emergency is for there to be any confusion about who you are. If you plan to sail internationally, leave loads of time to get all of this done and have it processed through all the safety authorities before you leave.

Then again, if you have a little boat sailing on a lake, none of this matters.

Tags
sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: