Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 20:04   #1

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Change from 39ft to 24ft.....

We own a 39ft Sailboat which lives in a Marina in Brisbane
Last year we did a 6 month trip up the coast but now we are back working and trying to improve our bank balance....hmm
The trip was fantastic but we think we can have as much fun just around home in beautiful Moreton Bay
To bring costs down we are considering down sizing to a Trailer Sailor.
Im sure this idea is not new but I would love to hear what other people have done and learned or just think about our plan....
Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 20:36   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Change from 39ft to 24ft.....

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, Hi, Reiner and Sam:

How about a pretty little H-28, with a large enough bunk for overnight, or a Vertue (24 ft.), but a real little yacht, rather than a trailer-sailer?

Horses for courses, and the latter is a lot more than you need for day sailing, but if you want to do overnighters, you may find a trailer sailer lacks the accommodation you prefer.

Ann.
Old 06-03-2014, 20:54   #3

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I have owned many boats of different sizes and the smallest brought just as much pleasure at a much lower cost. There are many reasons to have a trailerable sailboat.

Go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2014, 21:11   #4

Boat: Traditional 30

Definitely. My all time favorite and most used boat was a trailer sailer. RL 24, we used to race and cruise it. But it could sit in the front yard and cost nothing to own but trailer rego when it wasnt in use.

Yes, you can still get pleasure from a TY. What 24ft boat are you looking at?
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 21:55   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

You have a Scruffie. Why not camp cruise on Moreton with that? We have a Sunmaid 20, lovely little boat(for sale if you are interested) and a John Welsford Navigator 15' with ballasted centreboard. Open boats are great for camp cruising. 14' cockpit space, smashing.

We had the Sunmaid dry stored, mast up, at Jacob's Well and had a ball in it, but have decided to concentrate on the little boat for a while.

I have had many yachts up to 42' and still get a lot of pleasure out of the small ones. Way to go around your, and my, area.

Coops.
Old 06-03-2014, 22:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, Hi, Reiner and Sam:

How about a pretty little H-28, with a large enough bunk for overnight, or a Vertue (24 ft.), but a real little yacht, rather than a trailer-sailer?

Horses for courses, and the latter is a lot more than you need for day sailing, but if you want to do overnighters, you may find a trailer sailer lacks the accommodation you prefer.

Ann.
Hahaha Ann....we spoke about Kakahi our H28 this morning what a great boat that was. It is down near Hobart somewhere and we are in touch with the new owners. We been told it might come up for sale so you never know what happens next.
We just thought with a Trailer Sailor we can drive down south and sail Sydney harbour without sailing all the way down. Our problem is time.
We mostly have weekends only or maybe a week here and there. We have learned on our trip the weather tells you what you can do and what you can't do.
What are you two up to?
Cheers
Reiner
Old 06-03-2014, 22:23   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don't disparage trailer sailers too much.(I have in the past been guilty of that as well I admit) Ours was actually sailed from NZ to Aus by the first owner. He must have had more bravery genes than I have though.

Coops.
Old 07-03-2014, 00:40   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Reiner,

Regardless of bravery genes, (good one, Coops), a trailer sailer might work for you, especially if you are interested to try out flukey lake sailing. It really comes down to the extent you want to camp. Remember, Jim took his trailerboat, the Catalina 22, to Puget Sound (Washington State, USA) with his first wife and kids....and they had a WONDERFUL time. Coleman stove on the stern for cooking, but enough bunk space for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Like I said before, accommodations were important to you two before, and these will need your personal evaluation.

I am unable to comment on trailer sailing in Port Jackson; never did it.

We're in Port Cygnet, Tasmania, for their 150th regatta week. So far, it's been good fun.

Ann
Old 07-03-2014, 02:27   #9

Boat: Bristol Chanel Cutter 28'

Reiner, I just sailed south from your neck of the woods to the far south coast of NSW. Once I was south of the border I was happy to be aboard a monohull. But for your neck of the woods and up near the great barrier pond, a Farrier tri may be right up your ally. Just a thought, all the convenience of trailers' a good turn of speed, and handy in ally your shallow stuff. Regards Cocosshane
cocosshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You have a Scruffie. Why not camp cruise on Moreton with that? We have a Sunmaid 20, lovely little boat(for sale if you are interested) and a John Welsford Navigator 15' with ballasted centreboard. Open boats are great for camp cruising. 14' cockpit space, smashing.

We had the Sunmaid dry stored, mast up, at Jacob's Well and had a ball in it, but have decided to concentrate on the little boat for a while.

I have had many yachts up to 42' and still get a lot of pleasure out of the small ones. Way to go around your, and my, area.

Coops.
Thanks Coops and we still got our scruffie( and love it heaps) but we need something with some cabin space so we can stay a night or two
I just had a look at the Sunmaid.....nice boat and smart layout
I guess we put Kyeemah on the market and see what happens
Thanks for your feedback
Cheers
Reiner
Old 07-03-2014, 03:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocosshane View Post
Reiner, I just sailed south from your neck of the woods to the far south coast of NSW. Once I was south of the border I was happy to be aboard a monohull. But for your neck of the woods and up near the great barrier pond, a Farrier tri may be right up your ally. Just a thought, all the convenience of trailers' a good turn of speed, and handy in ally your shallow stuff. Regards Cocosshane
Bristol Channel Cutter? I love boats like that.....nearly bought one about 3 years ago up here in Scarborough...
Where can I see pictures?
Yes Moreton Bay is shallow and we know all about it with a 2mtr draft...hmm
Cheers
Reiner
Old 07-03-2014, 03:39   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ours is a completely different set up. Redesigned for two people. See here.

• View topic - Pictures of our "new" Sunmaid 20

Not trying to sell you ours, just so you can see what can be done with 20' If you have 4' more, then.......

Coops.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Ours is a completely different set up. Redesigned for two people. See here.

• View topic - Pictures of our "new" Sunmaid 20

Not trying to sell you ours, just so you can see what can be done with 20' If you have 4' more, then.......

Coops.
That is very beautiful......how old are those photos?
and why are you selling?
a boat like that will sell fast I guess
Thanks for showing me
Cheers
Old 07-03-2014, 09:32   #14

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

After starting out with a 24' pocket cruiser in the '70s, my late wife and I decided to take the plunge and buy a 45' bluewater cruising boat to live aboard, with the intent of long range cruising later in life.

Well, we lived aboard for 9 years, raced the boat to Bermuda once, did one coastwise passage to Florida, but spent most of the first 20 years we owned her cruising within the confines of the Chesapeake Bay. Quite honestly, we never could afford to maintain a boat that size to the standard that I would have liked to (despite doing most work myself), and the small business my wife started never afforded her the time to do much serious cruising. Eventually, she developed a progressive form of MS which kept her paraplegic for 12 years until she passed. I should have sold that boat as soon as Pat got sick, but I stupidly held onto it -- trying not to let the dream die -- and it got little use while I cared for her. Owned that albatross for 32 years.

Now in my late '60s, retired and remarried, I've been overjoyed to downsize drastically. Sold the big, old cutter a year ago and bought a wonderful little 19' Menger catboat with an inboard diesel. Trailerable, but heavy... we kept the boat in the water all season and just use the trailer for the winter haul-out. Weekend cruising on the Chesapeake last summer brought back the joy of simple sailing for me. Just wish I had downsized sooner.

As a retired engineer, however, I'm cursed with a drive to be continually improving things. The Menger 19 was equipped with rudimentary accommodations designed for overnighting, but I'd like to cruise her a bit more seriously. So... the PortaPotty (I hate those things with a passion) is getting the deep six for a marine head, and I'm already building a more practical galley. Pretty soon it will be a neat pocket cruiser a la Coop's.

Really need to walk a fine line, though, to avoid over-complicating things, as simplicity is the key to enjoying a successful downsizing.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:55   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner View Post
That is very beautiful......how old are those photos?
and why are you selling?
a boat like that will sell fast I guess
Thanks for showing me
Cheers
Photos from last year. The boat is for sale because we like the simplicity and the fun and versatility of the Welsford. Open daysailers have always appealed to me and around here where I live there are a lot of rivers to explore so we can use it as a river launch as well. Too lazy to maintain two boats, and we have other interests as well, like off roading, so the Sunmaid will go.

Coops.