Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 17:15   #16

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Re: Change from 39ft to 24ft.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukeluthier View Post
After starting out with a 24' pocket cruiser in the '70s, my late wife and I decided to take the plunge and buy a 45' bluewater cruising boat to live aboard, with the intent of long range cruising later in life.

Well, we lived aboard for 9 years, raced the boat to Bermuda once, did one coastwise passage to Florida, but spent most of the first 20 years we owned her cruising within the confines of the Chesapeake Bay. Quite honestly, we never could afford to maintain a boat that size to the standard that I would have liked to (despite doing most work myself), and the small business my wife started never afforded her the time to do much serious cruising. Eventually, she developed a progressive form of MS which kept her paraplegic for 12 years until she passed. I should have sold that boat as soon as Pat got sick, but I stupidly held onto it -- trying not to let the dream die -- and it got little use while I cared for her. Owned that albatross for 32 years.

Now in my late '60s, retired and remarried, I've been overjoyed to downsize drastically. Sold the big, old cutter a year ago and bought a wonderful little 19' Menger catboat with an inboard diesel. Trailerable, but heavy... we kept the boat in the water all season and just use the trailer for the winter haul-out. Weekend cruising on the Chesapeake last summer brought back the joy of simple sailing for me. Just wish I had downsized sooner.

As a retired engineer, however, I'm cursed with a drive to be continually improving things. The Menger 19 was equipped with rudimentary accommodations designed for overnighting, but I'd like to cruise her a bit more seriously. So... the PortaPotty (I hate those things with a passion) is getting the deep six for a marine head, and I'm already building a more practical galley. Pretty soon it will be a neat pocket cruiser a la Coop's.

Really need to walk a fine line, though, to avoid over-complicating things, as simplicity is the key to enjoying a successful downsizing.

Thank you Uteluthier for sharing your story,I guess we all make the desisions which seem right at the time
It sounds like you had a good life on the big boat and now enjoying the 19fter....great stuff
I think we are on the right track and going to sell our 39ft Challenger
I think I end up with a wooden boat I can trailer.
a small diesel inboard would be nice......we see.
Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 17:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Photos from last year. The boat is for sale because we like the simplicity and the fun and versatility of the Welsford. Open daysailers have always appealed to me and around here where I live there are a lot of rivers to explore so we can use it as a river launch as well. Too lazy to maintain two boats, and we have other interests as well, like off roading, so the Sunmaid will go.

Coops.
I know what you are talking about we still love camping and off roading as well and the year has only 52 weekends hehe
As I said if our boat was sold I be looking at your Sunmaid.
If you are interested in Off Road stuff do you know John Rooth?
Cheers
Reiner
Old 07-03-2014, 17:24   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Not personally. I know who he is and what he does.

Coops.
Old 07-03-2014, 17:34   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Not personally. I know who he is and what he does.

Coops.
John is a good friend of mine we been riding bikes together for over 20 years
The red 40 series Landcruiser he just sold used to me my truck for most of my life here in Australia.
I find it interested how many sailors think alike with interests in Camping , Bikes and 4 wheel driving. I guess we all have in common the love of the life outdoors.
Best of luck selling your Sunmaid and thanks for sharing your thoughts
Cheers
Reiner
Old 07-03-2014, 17:40   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Just a recoat of the varnish work and she is ready for advertising. Good luck with your sale as well, plenty of TS's for sale when it does sell. When you are ready keep an eye on this thread in TSP. I don't miss many.

• View topic - Spotted. TS's for sale on the net.

That is the newest page, work your way back from there. It gets updated every day usually.

Coops.
Old 07-03-2014, 17:59   #21

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

There is much to be said for trailerable boats.

For example, if I want to cruise the Florida Keys in my Morgan 28, I am lucky to get there in 2 to 4 weeks, depending on weather and other factors.

But with my little 16 foot daysailor, I can hook it to my car, and be sailing in the Keys less than 24 hours after leaving home. So with the little boat, I can go to more places in a given short period of time.

Of course the comfort level is different, But the time is worth a lot. Also, while I am hiding the Morgan up in the tupelo swamps during hurricanes, the little daysailor is sitting on its trailer, moored to tiedowns in the yard.