Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2007, 21:09   #1

Challenger 32 ?

I've found very little info online, but from what I did find, they seem to be well built.

Does ANYONE know anything about these boats - specifically the 32????

Thanks,
Brett
bspurr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 12:15   #2
Kai Nui

Yes. I have a 40. Very sturdy boat. Several hull configurations. Watch out foer the fin keels. They crack around the back of the keel, and around the strut. Watch the cabin sole. The plywood rots, and often will have bouncy or weak areas. All of these issues are easy to fix, and the boats sail great. They have more room than you will know what to do with for their length.
Post any specific questions, and I will be happy to address them. Including history of Challenger Boats.
Old 27-09-2007, 12:48   #3

I own a Challenger 32 in So Cal. Post or PM me with your questions. I have done several major upgrades and repairs. There are a few things to know about the boat. But once it is done, it is a damn nice ride.

Kai - I would love to hear more about the history of the boats. Info is so hard to find. It is all now an oral history from one owner to another.
Old 27-09-2007, 13:33   #4

Would you consider them to be bluewater capable?
jpcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 13:44   #5

Thanks

Thanks for the info - I am going to PM both you guys.

Brett
bspurr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 14:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcraw View Post
Would you consider them to be bluewater capable?
Yes I would. The Challenger 32 has a very stout rig and hull. Mine has upper, mid and lower shrouds on a 46' mast fom the deck. If I were taking it off shore I would add an inner fore stay for a strom sail or rig it as a cutter. The hull is hand laid and thick. It will not win races, but no port is out of reach.
Old 27-09-2007, 14:57   #7
Kai Nui

I second that. I would take mine anywhere.
I will post a bit from my owner's manual next week. Current status is Howard Stern, the designer, died last year I believe. His daughter lives in Fla, and is involved in the boating community. The boats were built in Wilmington, Ca, the Anacapa 42, being the signature vessel, with the 35 and 40's being the most popular. The 40 and 41 are basically the same boat. 32's are nice, but rare. 35's look just like a scaled down 40. Challenger claims to be the only US boat manufacturer never to have been sued.
Old 27-09-2007, 15:45   #8

There was also a 50 that the owner built for himself as a ketch. It was for sale last year in Florida. The Anacapa was probally the best one in the group. It's hard to research them on the web because there is a Challenger power boat that is popular and a sail boat made in the UK.

Here is a link to Yachtworld.

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale=

Kai - if you have an owners manual, can you scan it it and post it for us. I'll buy you a beer.
Old 29-10-2007, 22:49   #9
Kai Nui

OK, found my owner's manual. A bit much to post, but I might be able to scan it and email it to you. It cover the 32, 35,40,42, and 50. The last 9 pages are wiring schematics. Not sure if they are exclusive to my boat, but I can include them as well. PM me if you want a copy
Old 29-10-2007, 23:16   #10
Kai Nui

Here are a few links:
Challenger Yacht Corp 35 ft. ketch - sailboat - challenger 32 - challenger 35 -
The Loss of a Legend :: Gulfstream Sailing Club :: Broward County's Oldest and Largest Sailing Club
There are a few more, but I can't seem to find them right now.
Old 24-04-2008, 13:48   #11

Boat: '70 Challenger 32'
Send a message via MSN to cjjcmg Send a message via Yahoo to cjjcmg
I own a 1970 32' Challenger. I love it. Haven't sailed it in 15 years but am getting it back together. Has the original A4 which needs some work but didn't break last I ran it.

Kai Nui, I was referred here by a guy who was trying to get some of that owner's manual. Is there any way I could help get a copy of that?

It took me long enough just to find Moyer Marine who specializes in the A4. Any help would be awesome.

I enjoy the cabin layout. It is wide and solid. In all the years it has sat, it doesn't seem to have aged as I would have thought. Definitely needs some work.

A4 running is first then on to the rigging.
Old 25-04-2008, 01:51   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A-4

Universal Atomic Four gasoline engine Owner’s Manual:
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/atomic4manual/a4manual.htm

or
Atomic Four

or
Universal Atomic 4 Engine Information, including the original specification sheets, owner's manual, and parts manual:
Engines1 | Westerbeke, Universal, Marine Engines, AGM Batteries, Engine Controls Knowledgebase

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 05:06   #13

Boat: 1974 Challenger 40 Ketch, Holding Pattern
I'm a Challenger 40, 1974 ketch rig owner... Holding Pattern has circumnavigated and I would not hesitate to take her anywhere. From FL to the Chesapeake we only run outside and we've surely put her through the works in the last few years preparing to head further afield.
Every Challenger I have seen is of very sturdy build, spacious, and ready to head out to sea (I think it's a special epoxy...I swear I can feel HP smile as we leave an inlet)
Obviously, I'm sold.
Holding Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 07:22   #14

Boat: '70 Challenger 32'
Send a message via MSN to cjjcmg Send a message via Yahoo to cjjcmg
Thanks for the links GordMay! I have only seen one of those in my search for wisdom.

Now if someone could come through with that manual on the Challenger, I would be a complete man. And maybe the boat would be more complete too.
Old 25-04-2008, 07:38   #15

I would love to see the manual as well from any model. We are the support group for Challengers. "The Secert Society for the Preservation of Challenger Yachts" or, "The Drunken Bastards With Out of Date Boats". Where should we have our first secert society meeting?