Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 21:04   #1

Chainplates . . . Only Four

my boat has only 4...most sailboats I see have 2 or 3 on each sides beside the one in front and the one in back of boat...why so many lateral...should I instal more?
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 21:31   #2

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
my 26' has only 2 on either side. been no problem so far
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 21:47   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
In a word, no. Redesigning the rig is going to be far less advantageous than keeping the rigging fresh and the rig tuned.

Your boat was designed in 1967. It was probably built prior to 1975? It would certainly be a good time to consider replacing the chainplates should they still be original. It might also be a good time to consider replacing the standing rigging as well, depending on how long it's been standing. Such maintenance will go a lot further to keep your boat happy than adding double lower shrouds.
Old 12-12-2010, 21:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
In a word, no. Redesigning the rig is going to be far less advantageous than keeping the rigging fresh and the rig tuned.

Your boat was designed in 1967. It was probably built prior to 1975? It would certainly be a good time to consider replacing the chainplates should they still be original. It might also be a good time to consider replacing the standing rigging as well, depending on how long it's been standing. Such maintenance will go a lot further to keep your boat happy than adding double lower shrouds.
chainplates are 10mm thick and solidly fixed...more then any boat iv seen...standing riggings look new as most of my sails...I will have them checked by a more experienced then me.
why do you say my boat was desingned in 1967? many hinterhoeller h28 have been made in 1964 1965 1966 at least five in the classifyeds as we speche.
rgds
Old 13-12-2010, 09:34   #5

Boat: Bristol 40, HopeFloats
If jobi would have put more detailed information on the boat ie make, model, year, size. Bash would not had to take such a w.a.g. what you had to give as informed a response as bash did!
Old 13-12-2010, 13:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
If jobi would have put more detailed information on the boat ie make, model, year, size. Bash would not had to take such a w.a.g. what you had to give as informed a response as bash did!
it says right under my avatar hinterhoeller H-28 1964...
however iv seen an other of the same year and its chainplates where thin maybe 1/8in or less...so they must have been changed on my boat...also I asked why not to contradict Bash but only to get more information...theres alot of contradicting info on these boats, especialy in regards to date of construction..
cheers
Old 13-12-2010, 17:20   #7

Boat: Bristol 40, HopeFloats
Like I said if you would have given ... your avatar means nothing more then a boat you may like or a wish-list boat. So What are your intend use, ie day sailing weekday racing. When sailing do you have mast bending problems? What is making you question the strenght of your rig.
Old 13-12-2010, 19:43   #8

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
I dunno, jobi may be onto something.
This slightly later HR 28 has six shrouds:
Swans Yacht Sales (Pickering, ON)
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 20:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I'd be surprised to see a 28ft mono with just one lower shroud... or just two lowers and nothing to the masthead.. mine's only 21ft and thats 3 each side..
Jobi... take a look at your mast and spreaders and check for fittings there... could give you the info you need

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 22:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I dunno, jobi may be onto something.
This slightly later HR 28 has six shrouds:
Swans Yacht Sales (Pickering, ON)
yes iv seen that HR-28 has six lateral shrouds...H-28 only 2 lateral shrouds...thats why I asked.

I was wondering if this modification was important?

rgds
Old 13-12-2010, 22:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'd be surprised to see a 28ft mono with just one lower shroud... or just two lowers and nothing to the masthead.. mine's only 21ft and thats 3 each side..
Jobi... take a look at your mast and spreaders and check for fittings there... could give you the info you need
I belive my boat has only one lower shroud...both upper and lower attaches to the same chainplate.
cheers