Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 14:00   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 27
Centurien 47

Well, time to stop dreaming. Just found out my job will offer me early retirement in 3 years. I will be 50. I think I have a good plan. I think I have decided on the ceturien 47 over the pacific seacraft 44. Also liked the Shannon 43 but I think it will be out of budget. Pupose would be sailing any where at any time. Can anyone tell me if I had mad a bad choice in boat?
outbound_308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 16:54   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Re: Centurien 47

I have the 49. PM me and I will be happy to tell you whatever you want to know.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 17:21   #3

Each boat has been maintained and looked after in different ways over the years but the original design and build was first class.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 18:44   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

An interesting choice. Why a C47 over a PS44, if I can ask?

I have been on a Centurion 47 (but is this the same design?), a docked one, helping a friend sort things out. Frankly, I would never buy one for my own use. Her layout was nothing lending itself to short handed sailing, and so to say everything was slightly out of 'my size'. And I am not sure many of us grow stronger, fitter, etcetera, with age.

One of my sailing friends (who sails a C32 btw) looked at the boat smiled and said 'too much draft'. I am not sure what he meant (he is French) but you may want to look at her draft too.

I always imagined PS boats were the best in test and so my question which features of Centurion 47 prevailed in your choice.

Let us see some pictures when you get her. Sure thing you should get the boat your heart desires, not mine!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 20:29   #5

@barnakiel

Well to start I felt the 47 made a better live aboard for a couple and would acomadate a couple of our friends coming with us from time to time. The draft on the 47 is 6'. I am really torn between the 47 and the ps. The ps will be slower but maybe the rig is easier for a couple to handle. The ps seem to run 50 to 100 grand more. Budget looks like it will be 150 for boat. 40 for refit/emergency, 4000 per month to sail
Old 15-07-2016, 21:24   #6

Maybe just going to big?

Then I'm back to ps 37, shannon 37/38 or priories 35
Old 15-07-2016, 22:08   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi Robert, can you expand on why you believe the centurian is a first class design and build.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 22:26   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Another thread with a question, but little in the way of helpful info for us potential answerers. You don't tell us about your experience and skill level, that of your crew, the country in which you and the boat reside... all things which might influence the answers we might give.

How about a fill in?

Jim
Old 15-07-2016, 23:44   #9

Novice. With dreams of moving aboard full time. Sail off for travel and adventure. Will be based out of St Augustine at first and then key west. Would like to gain expirience sailing through the Caribbean . Eventually Atlantic crossing to Ireland and beyond. Don't know how far I will go or where I will end up. Currently single, crew of two. Could be more for longer passages, I have no idea who I will meet or how my crew situation may change after I buy the boat. Still 3/4 years out. As stated before a dream that has been accelerated due to learning I could retire early. Trying to settle on on s boat, I have a house to sell etc and don't want plans delayed due to poor planning.
Old 15-07-2016, 23:47   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

This, from a Yachtworld listing, tells me that she wouldn't be my first choice as a ' go anywhere ' cruising boat for two..

'The Centurion 47 is an exceptional boat. Designed by the talented British designer Edward Dubois, famous for his ultra-fast hulls, this pure very high class sailboat is a development of the famous Victory, one of the best Admiral’s Cup boats ever produced.
The hull shape, the deck plan and the rig are designed for performance. '

I'm sure they are extremely well built and my boat was designed by the late Ed Dubois... however.....
Old 16-07-2016, 04:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
This, from a Yachtworld listing, tells me that she wouldn't be my first choice as a ' go anywhere ' cruising boat for two..

'The Centurion 47 is an exceptional boat. Designed by the talented British designer Edward Dubois, famous for his ultra-fast hulls, this pure very high class sailboat is a development of the famous Victory, one of the best Admiral’s Cup boats ever produced.

I'm sure they are extremely well built and my boat was designed by the late Ed Dubois... however.....
Yes but we are talking mid 80's, from what I see they are relatively conservative compared to the modern equivalent. But, this is just from a glance.

Old 16-07-2016, 05:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Yes but we are talking mid 80's, from what I see they are relatively conservative compared to the modern equivalent. But, this is just from a glance.

Old 16-07-2016, 07:47   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound_308 View Post
@barnakiel

Well to start I felt the 47 made a better live aboard for a couple and would acomadate a couple of our friends coming with us from time to time. The draft on the 47 is 6'. I am really torn between the 47 and the ps. The ps will be slower but maybe the rig is easier for a couple to handle. The ps seem to run 50 to 100 grand more. Budget looks like it will be 150 for boat. 40 for refit/emergency, 4000 per month to sail
I see. I understand being able to sleep 6 comfortably tips the scales sure.

Do look again at draft of the one you are buying - maybe there are various draft versions on the market and yours is 6'. I have seen 8' and 8' 6'' quoted places when I looked the design up.

I have only been on the boat at the dock and would love to hear from you how she handles out at sea - here in Europe you come across C47 at way below 100k at times, making them a good potential for many cruisers who want a big boat for reasonable money.

Thanks for sharing! Keep us updated on this adventure!

Best regards,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 10:59   #14

what about an international purchase? If I'm retired I can go anywhere, will brokers help with that? Is there to much risk for it to be worth it?
Old 18-07-2016, 11:16   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Big boats are appealing, but in truth My 38 is more room than we need, but peoples needs are different.
Possibly, going down a little in size will make it so that you can go much newer and possibly better equipped, lot less to maintain, easier to handle?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote