Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 21:29   #1

Boat: VIA 42
Centerboarder Cruisers

I am selling my beloved VIA 42 aluminium centerboarder.
That's a really popular design in europe, but not well known in Australia.

Of course for those who are tempted by the dark side of the force (catamarans), but can't give up monohull (like me) that THE solution, with only 3 feet draft (see design here)

But for the others?

Has anybody an idea how to present the advantages of these aluminium boats to aussies acustumed to plastic keels?

Michel
grainedetoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 13:10   #2

Boat: Boereal 44
Re: Centerboarder Cruisers

Micheal,
Having been an old New England Yankee with traditional taste my whole life I can tell you it is a hard sell. That is until you see these boats perform and what you can do with them. When we got to the S. Pacific in our Mason 44 and saw how these Frenchmen and other Europeans enjoyed their aluminum centerboard boats my wife and I changed our minds. I have just ordered a Boreal 44 that will be completed in June 2013 and look forward to showing it off. I know that the Boreal company have sold I think one to NZ and one to an Aussy so this type of boat is catching on. If your boat is there have patience there are buyers there who understand the advantage of aluminum center board boats.
Best of luck
Steve and Tracy
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 14:06   #3

Boat: Custom

G'day Michel

I have looked at you website a few times, I really think you are looking at it the wrong way with this post.

If you want to sell it bring it to OZ. It is an unusual boat here, people like to look and touch without massive expense or OS travel, especially something unusual.

List it with a GOOD broker. I personally like Rod & David at David Bray yachts. People don't like dealing direct with owners (especially for the unusual)

Make sure the boat looks exceptional & brief the broker properly.

I have been looking for a while now and have seen a few boats like yours come and go - it will sell.

I know this means time & money but right now you are sitting a long way away, trying to sell something no one here has heard by yelling into a giant billboard(www).

Sorry if that's a little harsh but that's what I would do. I promise you won't get bitten by an Aussie whilst your here ( unless thats what you like :-))

Good luck

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 14:12   #4

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainedetoile View Post
I am selling my beloved VIA 42 aluminium centerboarder.
That's a really popular design in europe, but not well known in Australia.

Of course for those who are tempted by the dark side of the force (catamarans), but can't give up monohull (like me) that THE solution, with only 3 feet draft (see design here)

But for the others?

Has anybody an idea how to present the advantages of these aluminium boats to aussies acustumed to plastic keels?

Michel
I've always considered monohulls, "the dark side", but if we were to ever switch over from our trimaran, an insulated aluminum centerboarder is what I'd want! (Shallow draft, and impact resistant)...

Good luck, Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 15:21   #5

G'day Jonathan

Thank you for advices

I agree with you that showing the boat in Australia would be easier for selling her. It's not a long crossing (less than one week) from NC to Brisbane.

However, I can't go there with the boat, because now I have advertised for her, australian customs ask me to pay for the import taxes right at the arrival, before I can even show the boat. That's a shame, but it's a lot of money. I don't know how to turn around this (I don't think these taxes are refundable if I leave without selling?).

It's not such a long way to come and visit us in Nouméa (I think it's shorter to go from sydney to Noumea than from Sidney to Cairns). Checking the boat can be done in one week end. We will provide accommodation on board and we will refund a plane ticket on the sale price.

We will also do the sale under australian law, with a bilingual (french english) broker.

The price has been adjusted to be atractive to anybody that know this type of aluminium boat: 122000AU$ (check the price of an OVNI of same size/age, it's usualy around 200000 AU$)

But clearly, you really need to want such a boat to come and see us.

Via 42 for sale !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-DSC00042 [640x480].JPG
Views:	510
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	27548  
Old 18-05-2011, 15:40   #6

Boat: Boereal 44

Michel,
Why are you having a hard sell in NC? I thought that this type of boat was in great demand in New Cal.
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 15:42   #7
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

what a gorgeous boat, i must say! I wish there were more like this in the US. Boreal, Ovni, Cigale, almost non-existent...but highly desirable IMHO. I would love CB alum if i could afford one. Also Gilbert Caroff designs...

Keep faith. You have a great one
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 16:13   #8

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Southerly 42 RST. Better than an Ovni IMHO. But not cheap. Then there are some of Dick Zaal's Dutch boats with lifing keels. Also not cheap.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 16:23   #9
cruiser

southerly? really Curmudge? I've read on CF that there are a number of issues with southerlys. And I sort of liked 'em
Old 18-05-2011, 16:52   #10

Boat: Bristol 38.8

What issues? The only issue I'm aware of is the price. Some of the older Southerlys don't sail that well, but the Rob Humphreys designs with the twin rudders are fabulous. Plus they draw under 3 ft. and are beachable. I've been aboard both the 110 and the 42 RST and belive me, if I could afford one I'd buy it.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 18:14   #11
cruiser

yeha...i hear you

I think it had to do with the center board maintenance schedule, and some other cheap manufacturing issues.

But, yeah the design is what its all about
Old 18-05-2011, 18:25   #12

You are all right, these boats are wonderful dream cruisers.

To answer about new caledonia market, Here everything is stucked due to the lack of marinas.

There is a waiting list of nearly 10 years to get a space in noumea harbour, and you lose your space if you sell your boat. So everybody is waiting for new marinas openings before changing of sailboat.

Second point the real estate market is frozen by the potential independance of new caledonia in 2014. Nobody wants to buy a property in Noumea now.

I got several potential buyers here who "just" need to sell their boat or flat to buy mine. Now waiting for few months. As we are working in NC that's easy to wait. But clearly it's time for finding good boat bargains for Aussies and Kiwis in New Caledonia.

Via 42 for sale !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	famille tissot-1 [640x480].JPG
Views:	341
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	27553  
Old 23-05-2011, 19:44   #13

Another point that I miss to explain: New Caledonia market is really small compared to Queenslad or NSW market. There are only 250 000 habitants in New caledonia. Even if Noumea people have a lagoon oriented lifestyle, that's only a small city. So not so many buyers, but also not so many boats to sell.

For those interested you can have a look on
Nautisme.nc - Bateaux en Nouvelle-Caldonie : about 160 sailboats to sell in NC (but a lot of day boats and only few blue water cruisers)

Michel
S/Y Graine d'étoile
Via 42 for sale !
Old 30-05-2011, 21:05   #14

Boat: Custom
Speak to the guys at David Bray Yachts. They do this all day every day. If there is a way around the duty they will know about it.

Good luck

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard