Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 15:16   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Center Cockpits

My friend all modern militaries are merely a tool of that Countries Politicians. Believe it or not, but I can assure you that if you left it up to the Soldiers, we would never leave home.
Nobody abhors war more than those that have to fight it, many of us consider ourselves to be the ones that wear the white hats, many of us believe the world is a safer place because of us.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 15:19   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic.

We were talking about Center Cockpits

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 15:21   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
We need to remove the word "cockpit" from the sailing vocabulary. It refers to cock- fighting, where roosters are forced to fight to the death in a pit. It is no longer an acceptable practice in the western world, although it is still popular in south East Asia and maybe other places. How about the "control box"?

Evidently you have not spent much time on a racing sailboat with a crew full of high-testosterone, caffeine-fueled, Type-A personality, highly competitive, highly opinionated, and highly stressed, males.

On a competitive (or not) racing sailboat, the cockpit is commonly the scene of male posturing, colorful individuals, sharply voiced calls, high pitched screams, hawkish glances at the competitor, and strutting. Occasionally there is a bit of back biting or even blood too.

So, yeah, it is a "Cockpit" and rightly called that.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:45   #34

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

So, yeah, it is a "Cockpit" and rightly called that.
No. You are wrong. A boat is referred to as a "she". So a "cockpit" is inappropriate. So ours would more rightly be a centre vagina boat. However, an aft-vagina boat also sounds inappropriate, so I would leave the naming of that to others.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:36   #35

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I like that. Calling "crew member overboard" sounds about right.
PIW is actually the term in common usage now- Person In the Water.
Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app[/QUOTE]
------------------------------------------------

Sadly thats as stupid as a "person pit" hehe..

Everyone including Non Sailors- boaties knows exactly what MOB means and that its time to Crack To Action.

Silly terms like "Person In the Water" or "Person Overboard" take a bit of mental processing for any non boaties on board.

Its like being inside a burning building and instead of calling " fire fire fire", shouting "flammable materials returning to carbon" . It just doesnt have the same urgency to it.

Now back on topic. As far as a MOB is concerned, in a CC the crew are higher up and have better vision to find the MOB . Then again, its less likely it would be as easy as getting someone onto the sugar scoop of a modern aft cockpit. (you probably know that, but wanted to steer back to topic )
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:01   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Center Cockpits

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Also about the same time TIT for Turbine Inlet Temperature was changed to ITT for Inlet Turbine Temperature.
TIT was apparently offensive, gotta love Congress

To much free time to waste..??
Liberal minded ego's with nothing better to do..
I much prefered being called a 'Dustman' to what became 'Municipil Waste Disposal Operative' and is now an even sillier name I believe...
Get a life guys.. there's lots of much more serious things that need sorting...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:10   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
PIW is actually the term in common usage now- Person In the Water.
Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
------------------------------------------------

Sadly thats as stupid as a "person pit" hehe..

Everyone including Non Sailors- boaties knows exactly what MOB means and that its time to Crack To Action.

Silly terms like "Person In the Water" or "Person Overboard" take a bit of mental processing for any non boaties on board.

Its like being inside a burning building and instead of calling " fire fire fire", shouting "flammable materials returning to carbon" . It just doesnt have the same urgency to it.

Now back on topic. As far as a MOB is concerned, in a CC the crew are higher up and have better vision to find the MOB . Then again, its less likely it would be as easy as getting someone onto the sugar scoop of a modern aft cockpit. (you probably know that, but wanted to steer back to topic )[/QUOTE]

I didn't make up the terminology, I'm just saying major shipping companies are sshying away from MOB and many are changing their muster boards and SMS procedures to refer to PIW

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:34   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Last M.O.B. situation I was in several years ago went like this.

Hey weavis!

Yeah?

silly dip**** fell in.

Yeah? Rescue on, coming about..... tell the lads.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:47   #39

Boat: Bristol 35

Well to try and get this back on track- I am looking fro aft cockpit- 1. I don't want to duck and crawl to get under the bimini and into the cockpit 2. I don't want to have to drag dive gear around.
I do like the aft staterooms but will give that up for easier on off with dive gear. Looking for a sugar scoop with a walk through transome door if at all possible.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:01   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Center Cockpits

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
Well to try and get this back on track- I am looking fro aft cockpit- 1. I don't want to duck and crawl to get under the bimini and into the cockpit 2. I don't want to have to drag dive gear around.
I do like the aft staterooms but will give that up for easier on off with dive gear. Looking for a sugar scoop with a walk through transome door if at all possible.
Most Bendi's....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:04   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
In that case, I can't think of any manufacturer that makes better use of space then Hunter, which no doubt is one of the reasons they're so popular with families.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:47   #42

I was a rear cockpit guy (no cheap shots now) for most of my life but my wife got hooked on our present Moody 425 and while it took me awhile I'm starting to get to like it. The aft cabin is quite something, nice walk around double. Also has 2 large rear lazerettes that are great storage. I think when it comes to resale they may do better as there are few CC boats being made in this size range. Pretty good engine access as well. Bill Dixon did a nice job on the design so it doesn't look like a wedding cake and it sails very well. Years ago the only CC I liked was the Peterson 44 and it is still very easy on the eye as well as being an excellent sailor.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 10:25   #43

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I had an Irwin 37 with a CC and have missed it since. I really think they enhance living conditions on the boat. It happens the Irwin was a ketch and I miss that as well, really nice having all the sail options.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 15:14   #44

Boat: Little Harbor 58

I actually have both CC and AC. CC has the wheel and instruments setee and primary winches. The AC has wrap around seating and lazarettes, grille, swim ladder, dodger and emergency tiller. It is accessed thru the companionway out of the master state room. and was one of the main selling features for our boat over other CC's. It was also great for dive tank rack on the stern rail and in the aft space under the bench was a dive compressor. Since I have damaged my ear, I don't dive anymore and removed the rack and compressor. Replaced it with Isolation transformers. Furthermore, it is a great place to get away from the crowd and read or rest.

The one thing that was difficult to adjust to with this CC boat, was the fact that a lot of boat is behind the wheel station. It takes careful attention to back into slips and make turning maneuvers in tight fairways. I do agree that the main cockpit is smaller, but on our boat it is still larger then most other boats. We can comfortably seat 9 people in the cockpit, but it is a leg forest if you have to bail to the companionway in a hurry. The motion in big seas is very comfortable overall, and the dodger does a good job protecting from the bow splash.

A lot of space below, and one can walk fully erect throughout the boat below. I'm 6'-1" tall, and that was a prerequisite when we were looking to buy a new boat.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 17:17   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightPlan View Post
I actually have both CC and AC. CC has the wheel and instruments setee and primary winches. The AC has wrap around seating and lazarettes, grille, swim ladder, dodger and emergency tiller. It is accessed thru the companionway out of the master state room. and was one of the main selling features for our boat over other CC's. It was also great for dive tank rack on the stern rail and in the aft space under the bench was a dive compressor. Since I have damaged my ear, I don't dive anymore and removed the rack and compressor. Replaced it with Isolation transformers. Furthermore, it is a great place to get away from the crowd and read or rest.

The one thing that was difficult to adjust to with this CC boat, was the fact that a lot of boat is behind the wheel station. It takes careful attention to back into slips and make turning maneuvers in tight fairways. I do agree that the main cockpit is smaller, but on our boat it is still larger then most other boats. We can comfortably seat 9 people in the cockpit, but it is a leg forest if you have to bail to the companionway in a hurry. The motion in big seas is very comfortable overall, and the dodger does a good job protecting from the bow splash.

A lot of space below, and one can walk fully erect throughout the boat below. I'm 6'-1" tall, and that was a prerequisite when we were looking to buy a new boat.
Well I say, good sir! Your flight plan is on target.

As much as I love Hinckleys, Little Harbors are always on my radar, and more heavily as of late. Class act yachts, they certainly are.

Not my boat, yet I'd be thrilled if this 63' LH CC was. Beam not listed, yet I'm guessing 16'+. The CC is so elegant, and apparently very skipper friendly. Salivating heavily. Please forgive the drool.

1987 Little Harbor Little Harbor 63 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit