Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 04:01   #46

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Center Cockpit Sailboat Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
You don't sound fat and ugly on the radio ..... you sound tall dark and handsome... or so the cook says...

Someone’s been fiddling with your clarifier mate.
Old 07-03-2019, 14:26   #47

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Never sailed a CC, but have been down below on a few and echo comments already made, WOW! some serious space to be had...of course my 1978 aft cockpit's space down below is "cozy" compared to current aft models so my baseline is a bit skewed. Did notice as already mentioned the CC's I have been on and walked by have noticeably more freeboard. Not to alter the thread thought, but what about draft of CC? Any marked increase over aft cockpit boats of similar length, displacement? thanks
dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 22:50   #48

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

[QUOTE=LF4;2839095]I find real appreciation with this.

Speaking to what Jim Cate has to say I will add this...I do not have many memories of my time in bed, other than the warm body that is next to me. That being the case, we certainly want a great entertaining space to build the memories that we will talk about when we are in our 70's and our kids/grandkids are around the dinner table. Hmm...dinner table...that sounds like something that would be located in a saloon. Yeah, maybe thats the right decisions here, aft cockpit? QUOTE]

So much depends on the weather where you will be cruising. We go for warm weather locations and we spend about 90% of our relaxation time IN THE COCKPIT, it's a huge space located up where we can get a nice view and a cool breeze, and not buried down in the hot saloon. Our CC can easily sit 10 folks. We almost always take our meals there. The saloon in any boat feels cramped compared to the center cockpit. Sure, our boat looks a bit like a condo compared to some of the sleek aft cockpit designs, but who cares?

Actually you should probably be a bit more concerned about total size of boat rather than cockpit location - but I've seen families of 4 on some very small boats although usually those adults were rather young and I'm sure a little more tolerant of crowding than I am. I'd think you want a 44' minimum CC for the nice engine room, workbench, aft head with washing machine, etc.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:01   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Not to alter the thread thought, but what about draft of CC? Any marked increase over aft cockpit boats of similar length, displacement? thanks
dave
Cockpit location really has no direct effect on draft. In fact a number of boats like my 42 Pearson come in center or aft cockpit versions with identical hull and rig.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:29   #50

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36

There is a photo of the boat I'm going to buy. 1986 36ft length. Let's look at salon photo and guess - is she centre cockpit or after cockpit?
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...lWU3psM0pySllR
Deividas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:35   #51

One of this discussion topics - size of CC boat salon. There is the photo of 36ft boat I'm going to buy. Build in 1986. Let's guess is she centre cockpit or after cockpit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22-DSC06860-1024x575 (2).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	187657  
Old 10-03-2019, 06:41   #52

Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deividas View Post
One of this discussion topics - size of CC boat salon. There is the photo of 36ft boat I'm going to buy. Build in 1986. Let's guess is she centre cockpit or after cockpit?
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:17   #53

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
That's not a bug, that's a feature. Now you don't need to go to the gym!!!
I would have to agree with that, after a couple of weeks of time aboard my legs are pumped.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:27   #54

Boat: Norseman 447cc

My $0.02, I can't say if a CC is safer or not but I can say that personally I feel safer as does my wife. I have done passages on very open full on race boats that make you feel like you could be washed over at any moment and on more standard aft layouts where I felt safe enough but never quite so secure as I do on my CC. Yes, the cockpit is smallish but most of the time it is just my wife and I and a few furry crew so it doesn't much matter. Yes, entertaining is harder but we don't do it all that often and when we do I just remove the wheel to free up some space and we can fit 6 or so just fine, 4 if we are sailing and others are acting as crew.

One place already mentioned is that the companion way can be tricky in a seaway, it is steep and deep. However, if you treat it like the ladder it is it is not too bad.

The aft cabin is enormous, and has a full king size berth which is awesome at anchor, a bit less so in a rolly sea.

As for ugly or not, I think not at least at 44'

Name:	IMG_0818.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	187668
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:24   #55

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

The picture shows location of mainmast in middle of salon, so that's likely a CC boat.

Now, I don't understand these comments about having bigger cockpits in aft cockpit boats. Most aft cockpit cruising boats of 46' LOA have smaller cockpits than my CC of same LOA. Our cockpit is long and wide and we spend all our relaxing time there. It depends on the boat length and design. A friend has a CC Cheoy Lee 44 with a quite small CC, can't stand up in it or lay down full length. That boat has 7 steps down into the cabin, we have only 4 steps, and his boat runs aground getting into the marina at low tide while we pass easily. ON the other hand his boat can sail circles around us. So there are infinite variations, thankfully, and you just choose the boat that makes sense only for you!

I believe the CC was originally designed for use in the charter trade in the Caribbean around 1970. Reason was, to give two semi-private living spaces since many charters were to two couples, or couples with kids. It was so successful, in the 44' and over LOA, that you see few aft cabin charters today. Even with just me and my wife, we like having our sleeping, laundry, engine maintenance, workshop and showering done in a separate area, aft, from the rest of our accomodations.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 22:24   #56

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deividas View Post
I would suggest centre cockpit...

At first glance I thought late Westerly Sealord or early Oceanlord but what I can see of the galley says she is a Westerly Corsair..... living proof that centre cockpit can work in boats under 40 foot in length.

Enjoy her
Old 11-03-2019, 00:37   #57

For those unfamiliar with the Corsair... succesful CC in a 36 footer.... built in Hampshire, U.K..... sighted in NZ....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB270147.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	187749  
Old 11-03-2019, 01:28   #58

Quote:
I would suggest centre cockpit...

At first glance I thought late Westerly Sealord or early Oceanlord but what I can see of the galley says she is a Westerly Corsair..... living proof that centre cockpit can work in boats under 40 foot in length.

Enjoy her
Correct. She is Westerly Corsair 36ft center cocpit. Two heads, comfortable
aftercabin. And most important - my hight is 192cm and I can stand almost everyvhere in full.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:00   #59

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:

At first glance I thought late Westerly Sealord or early Oceanlord but what I can see of the galley says she is a Westerly Corsair...:

Seriously!? You got that from the galley? I think that makes you a Westerly Sea Nerd. [emoji846]
Old 11-03-2019, 13:20   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Seriously!? You got that from the galley? I think that makes you a Westerly Sea Nerd. [emoji846]
Well, its pretty obvious is it not.....?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1190614.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	187793  

Tags
boat, center cockpit, cockpit, safety, sail, sailboat