Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2019, 14:33   #16

Boat: Whitby 42
Re: Center cockpit design love and hate

CC, only way to go. Much better visibility towards the front. Standup aft cabin and shower. Started with an Irwin 41, now a Whitby 42.

BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 14:38   #17

CC every time... With a Hallberg Rassy style 2 1/2 bed layout in the back... sloop/cutter rig. You can have a orgy in there!!

Andy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 14:44   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

There are pros and cons to both layouts, but I'm surprised no one mentioned the AFTER DECK. This is one of the great advantages of the center cockpit layout. You gain a large piece of usable, livable deck space.

I've had both aft cockpit and center cockpit boats, and I'm rather partial to the center cockpit. The volumes fit well together -- engine space under the cockpit. You see a lot better. Berthing is much simpler. Space for a big lazarette. And aft is the civilized place to sleep -- where were the captain's quarters on sailing ships? Right aft, of course. The Great Cabin with all the windows in the transom. Because the motion is much better there.

Big drawback of center cockpit -- no chance of a tiller, which would be my favored way to steer.
Old 27-01-2019, 16:23   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Re:wind vanes in cc boats. I’ve seen 3 cc boats with this feature now. Ours, and Alan Pape, and a Cardif design I think, and I don’t know the 3rd. All 44’ LOD boats. We all have our rudder shafts come up through the aft deck with short tillers. So the servo pendulum lines just go to a tiller, as they would in an aft cockpit boat.

I’ve modified my tiller so an extension fits on the stub and I could steer from the aft deck.

I’ve an Aries, I lead the control lines to the cabin and can “steer” from inside. I do have to go onto the aft deck to connect the mechanism and to adjust for weather helm.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 17:50   #20

A disadvantage that I see to many center cockpits is the low back support for the seating. This can be overcome with folding portable seats, but it appears very uncomfortable without them. It looks like people are sitting on the cockpit rather than in it. As boats get over 50í this is less of an issue. The low back support is also an issue on boats that raise the aft cockpit to squeeze in more head room for an aft cabin.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 18:21   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I guess with a sloop it's more "aft cabin" than it is "center cockpit." I chartered a Peterson 44 and loved it (aft cabin and sloop.) It just seemed the better use of space. And then the 65' I crewed on was also the same configuration and so if I had two identical hulls like that I'd probably favor the center cockpit/aft cabin. The larger the boat, the more it makes sense. The first boat I ever looked at to buy was a 26' center cockpit cutter with a swing keel! It was really cramped inside. Nor'Sea 27 made sloops with an aft cabin version too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 21:52   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
Pelagic, mate, that is NOT a typical aft cockpit that most of us are used to... Get out of this thread with your awesome aft cockpit!

I like some center cockpit boats. If a particular design comes in either center or aft cockpit, I tend to favor the aft cockpit version. The Tayana 52 is a good example of a boat that comes both ways, the aft cockpit version is my favorite.
The walk through is easily achieved on a cc with dual helm stations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7C1219C1-FF21-41ED-B1FA-01DD6B2FEC63.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	184602  
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 03:57   #23

Difference question... So why have so many aft'ers vs CC's been sold?

Agree with Dockhead cc+aft deck with seats on the push pit = huge entertaining area.

And where the hell do you put the hot tub on an aft cockpit!!??
Andy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 11:03   #24

Boat: Morgan 46 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would say at least 40 ft or more starts to make sense.

+Aft cabins are roomy.
- Aft cabins are stuffy and more difficult to get airflow into as opposed to a V berth.
+ A V berth you get good airflow and can hear what's going on with the anchor chain etc.
+ Center cockpits usually allow for a large engine room.
+ Center cockpits have nice visibility.
- Center cockpit designs usually have more windage,
- Center cockpits may have smaller/shorter mainsails losing the large bottom area of the sail. (maybe thus the ketch rig?)

Well said, concise, complete and accurate. Have had center cockpit ketch for many years but think the sloop and cutter rigs make more sense,, even in CC designs.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 11:18   #25

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Our last boat was a gulfstar 50 aft cabin ketch.
Currently we have a Jeanneau 49 DS aft cockpit.
I loved the aft cabin and the deck above was my favorite hangout in a beach chair.
The cockpit was too small to lay down in.
Not so in love with mizzens as they give weather helm in any breeze.

Our Jeanneau has twice the cockpit size, shade, cozy spots to hang, easy access to swim step/ dingy. Engine access isn't as good but everything is still accessable.
The main salon/galley/nav station is huge. Cockpit lockers, lazerette could swallow
massive volumes of gear,sails, and 30 cases of beer.
As we spend most of our time in the cockpit, this design wins hands down.
Throw in the swim step for showers, swim/ snorkel/ dingy/ fishing and I just couldn't live without it!
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 12:00   #26

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

..I'll make my last comment on the center vs/ the aft cockpit thread.

The guy that bought my boat (Roberts 38), decided the center cockpit was not for him and ripped it out, closed it up and built a new aft cockpit.

In hindsight, that is how I should have built it, but there you have it.

...'nuff said....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 12:08   #27

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
We looked at a lot of boats and for my Bride having a separate aftncabin with a bed accessibelnonnbith side became a big deal. Not all ccís are equal. We have a heavy, 20 ton, steel cutter, cc. Because she is heavy she sits IN the water. Consequently our cockpit is much lower than those on many fg boats. Our cockpit sole is only about 6Ē above the water line.

Being low, and towards the center of motion, it is a very comfortable place to be. Unlike the picture above with the big open cockpit ours is much lower than the aft deck, itís anwell, but with two 4Ē drains straight down.

The aft cabin is for sleeping and storage, period. That seems to work out for us. Just psychologically itís a different space, various arguments and strict seems to stay outside the bedroom. Iím sure thatís not for everyone.

If Iím single handing then the aft cabin becomes a mega storage space. I sleep on the Stb weíre in a Lee cloth, but we also have a pilot berth. That makes the boat much smaller and more manageable for solo me, just my size.

Our 33íer obviously has an off set v berth sized for two. That works also, but is not really for long term live aboard.
Because it's low (good and low), does the cockpit sole fill with seawater a little, perhaps in through the drains, when you're heeled well over? And how do you avoid it? (The lower part of my stern cockpit used to accept a bit of water through the drains)
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 12:13   #28

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

I’m a liveaboard and upgraded from my original 1987 Irwin 38 CC last year. The aft cabin sloop rig was great for offshore and island hopping. I loved the inline master bunk.
Now I am on my 1981 Irwin 46 CC staysail ketch rig. I love the sail plan and the extra room afforded above and below. The cockpit is very roomy as is the salon.
Every boat is a concession, your use and time aboard will dictate what’s right for you.
Old 28-01-2019, 12:20   #29

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
Our last boat was a gulfstar 50 aft cabin ketch.
Currently we have a Jeanneau 49 DS aft cockpit.
I loved the aft cabin and the deck above was my favorite hangout in a beach chair.
The cockpit was too small to lay down in.
Not so in love with mizzens as they give weather helm in any breeze.

Our Jeanneau has twice the cockpit size, shade, cozy spots to hang, easy access to swim step/ dingy. Engine access isn't as good but everything is still accessable.
The main salon/galley/nav station is huge. Cockpit lockers, lazerette could swallow
massive volumes of gear,sails, and 30 cases of beer.
As we spend most of our time in the cockpit, this design wins hands down.
Throw in the swim step for showers, swim/ snorkel/ dingy/ fishing and I just couldn't live without it!
Good thread - aft cockpit is for me .. But I'd like to (politely) challenge the "mizzens give weather helm in any breeze". With the mizzen (and aft cockpit) I could have the yacht self steer off the wind 100% reliably day after day. It took a lot of learning to get it right, and very fine adjustment, but say on a beam reach through to a close reach, genoa, main (maybe one reef) and mizzen, if there was even slight weather helm, ease the mizzen sheet an inch, harden the genoa sheet an inch, and then observe for 5 or 10 minutes, and repeat if necessary. (Not applicable to broad reach or running, and not necessary close hauled). I had a 3/4tr full keel, and was heavy, which all helped.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 13:10   #30

Boat: Fantasia 35

I have owned a 35' cc for over 40 years. Lived aboard and cruised her with my ex while raising three sons for about 30 of those years. Still aboard and planning on heading out again this year.

Here is my definition of the perfect sailboat:

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit