Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 08:20   #16

Re: Celestial 48 Refit for cruising

Two boats were brought to my attention last night: a Bristol 47, and a 48. In pictures they both look stunning. Any questions specific to these boats I should ask, or any problems to look out for as we go take our first look?
travalab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 23:44   #17

Boat: celestial 48

Hi, Travalab.
I am based in the upper Gulf of Thailand.
I came across a Celestial 48 in a boatyard in Lumut, Malaysia in 2014.
It had had a bad case of termites and the PO and a prospective buyer had stripped out 3 tons of worthless, infested wood leaving the empty fiberglass hull - no partitions, no floor, nothing. Teak decks were also gone. The only positive progress was to clean out the tanks and construct some framing for the floor.
Anyway we bought her for around 10,000 US plus the 2 years marina bills and the outstanding bills on the boat for materials and set about getting her into condition to sail 1200 miles round Singapore to our base near Bangkok, as well as buying an engine, the original had not been stored properly, and replacing stolen items like propellor and anchor winch.
The journey happened in stages over 1 year and was done in an empty hull with a temporary floor and the engine mounted in the middle of the boat - no engine room. On arrival in Bang Pakong, she went up on stands and stayed there for another year while local "craftsmen" put in the interior, roughly to my specifications. The whole deal cost us around 40,000 USD including labour and materials. What we have is a boat we can use for local cruising and sail training, but more would need to be done for water sailing">blue water sailing.
Phetploy is probably one of later boats to come out of the yard, as she is sloop rigged. The hull is solid glass below the waterline. I can confirm that having drilled through to mount a transponder. Above the water line she may well be wood cored, but we have certainly had no evidence in removing and refitting hatches and windows that there is any moisture inside the wood.
I have just joined the forum and am in the process of posting some pictures of her in various stages of refit. Happy to have a conversation with you if you have specific questions. We are very happy with her.
phetploy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:05   #18

Boat: Oyster 48 Lightwave

Hello....
We were, for 5 years, the proud owners of a wonderful Celestial 48 ketch S/Y MAMITA LEGEND way back in 1999....we crossed the Atlantic from France in 1999/2000 and returned 4 years later....
We are now the very happy owners of an OYSTER 48 LIGHTWAVE, living full time on board and cruising the Med for the past 8 years...however, now for sale...age is catching up with us!
Please visit http://oyster48lightwaveforsale,weebly.com
also listed on CF classifieds.
Check us out...actually in Greece.
pacificpeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, refit