Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2014, 21:10   #136

Boat: Catalina 400 MkII
Re: Catalina or Hunter?

I'm a current Catalina owner (although larger than your target - 40 ft). I love our boat - it's fast, solid, very comfortable - perfect for our needs.

That said, though, I couldn't live aboard as you've said you want to do. There's just not enough storage. (Granted, that will depend on the model you're looking at, the number of cabins, etc). Our boat is great for long weekend or week trips. But having to stash extra stuff in the forward cabin for a week is different from living aboard forever. (My wife drools over other boats with copious storage lockers!)

Your situation will be specific to you though. My suggestion: Look at lots of different boats in your price range - you might find one that you hadn't considered. And when you are looking, in addition to looking at the general "sailboat" things (gear, upkeep, etc) be sure to watch for:
A decent amount of storage (in general and in the galley)
A decent sized, comfortable head (nothing gets older than having to stoop when peeing!)
Good sized tankage (for water and holding) - don't want to have to fill/empty all the time
Heating/Cooling - need to keep it comfortable inside when it's extreme outside
Canvas (dodger/Bimini) - shade in the cockpit makes it more usable

I'm sure I've forgotten some things, but if I were going to live aboard, I'd want a boat that was livable in addition to being great fun to sail.

Bret

Bret
s/v JoyRide, Catalina 400
Old 21-09-2014, 19:47   #137

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Since I started this ridiculous thread, I thought i'd post an update. I've been in Florida for five days now and looked at half a dozen boats. Got another half dozen to look at. Right now, only two have made my loins tingly and they are both Catalinas. A 36 and a 34. Looking at a Hunter 40 tomorrow. Also an Endeavour 37.

Let you all know where i am tomorrow.
Old 21-09-2014, 20:55   #138
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post
Since I started this ridiculous thread, I thought i'd post an update. I've been in Florida for five days now and looked at half a dozen boats. Got another half dozen to look at. Right now, only two have made my loins tingly and they are both Catalinas. A 36 and a 34. Looking at a Hunter 40 tomorrow. Also an Endeavour 37.

Go for the tingly loins. Always the best call.
Old 22-09-2014, 08:44   #139

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
I would second going with tingly loins.
Old 22-09-2014, 09:01   #140

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Yup, everything else being equal, the tingly thing is the one to go for.
Old 22-09-2014, 09:18   #141

Quote:

Here's some C34 info for you:

Main Message Board

and

Catalina 34 - C34

and

C34 FAQ Main Page

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 22-09-2014, 10:29   #142

Boat: Catalina 310

One piece of advice I would give you is if you are new to sailboats and are planning to be a DIYer, don't discount the importance of a strong owners group.

As Stu has pointed out, the C34 owners group is large and well organized. The benefit of this is that you most likely one be the first person to try to do a specific project. With a good owners group you will have photos, write up and advice.

I am very glad that the model Catalina I purchased has a very strong owners group. It has made many problems much less stressful to tackle on my own.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse
Old 22-09-2014, 19:26   #143
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
So, any luck today? Be careful with that tingly thing. It can get you into trouble....Just like with women, you may like the "package", but the hidden secrets can be a problem down the road. In other words, don't ignore certain issues just because you are in love with that particular boat.

Ralph
Old 22-09-2014, 20:19   #144

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

When you board a prospective purchase and get that tingly feeling, do be sure that you are not standing in a puddle of bilge water with bad wiring passing through it.

Tingles ain't always a good thing!

Jim
Old 23-09-2014, 04:58   #145

Boat: O'Day 28
Unhappy Re: Catalina or Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
So, any luck today? Be careful with that tingly thing. It can get you into trouble....Just like with women, you may like the "package", but the hidden secrets can be a problem down the road. In other words, don't ignore certain issues just because you are in love with that particular boat. Ralph
Old 23-09-2014, 05:02   #146
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Be careful with that tingly thing. It can get you into trouble....
Virtually all of my best weekends start with tingly loins...and a Hunter.
Old 23-09-2014, 05:32   #147

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
That's funny stuff!!!
Old 23-09-2014, 05:50   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
And this is the bottom line. Because when we do see boat catastrophes it is typically due to these issues. I pointed to that on the Cheeki Rafiki with the rust staining on the boats. And this was a response:

No! You should not sail a boat with rust stains at critical areas like standing rigging, keel bolts, hull joint bolts, etc. Especially not offshore. This is a sign of a poorly maintained boat. And it doesn't matter who made the boat. Rusted rigging on an Oyster is just as much of a problem as rusted rigging on a Hunter.

Most of these boats were built for cruising. Ask the manufacturer to be sure. If they are maintained well they will perform fine. Other more expensive boats may perform better under sail but may be less comfortable to live on while your not sailing. You won't die simply because you take a production boat offshore. Plenty of people have already proven that.

I just came back into this thread, so tell me without pulling the keel, how could the keel bolts be inspected for rust stains? How often should you pull a keel to inspect for rust? How old was Cheeki Rafiki?
Old 23-09-2014, 07:52   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I just came back into this thread, so tell me without pulling the keel, how could the keel bolts be inspected for rust stains? How often should you pull a keel to inspect for rust? How old was Cheeki Rafiki?
I believe there was an article in either CW or Sail, I forget which, about a year or so ago just on that question, with the pics and procedure steps of the actual removal and re-install. The expert there recommended once every 5-7 years if the boat is to be used offshore 24/7 and every 7-10 yrs or longer if used seasonally with annual haulouts. Not being an expert I personally think that anytime the keel joint "smile" is more than a foot or two and/or more than a hairline crack one would be wise to unbolt the keel and check for the reasons. They may be as simple as fatigued bedding compound or as dangerous as the rusted and beginning to fail keel bolts or a combination of both.
Old 23-09-2014, 13:11   #150
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Virtually all of my best weekends start with tingly loins...and a Hunter.
hope that hasn't been causing any "funny" ideas in your head

Tags
catalina, hunter