Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2011, 16:20   #1

Catalina for Crossing the Pacific

i realize that catalina's are generally not a bluwater boat. im guessing this is because the actual rigging is not bulky and strong enough to warrant large ocean passages. Im wondering if anyone could provide information on what it would take to prepare a catalina for a voyage east to west across the pacific on the 'milk run'.
bdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 16:34   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
You seem to have answered your own question.

What catalina? Size, age, condition? How long have you had this boat, what issues exist?

Be specific and you will probably get specific answers.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 16:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Tankage fuel/water, how many...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 19:10   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Check out the safety and inspection requirements such as the Transpac, Newport to Bermuda, etc... to see what is typically considered MINIMUM in terms of bulkhead tabbing, sole plate attachment, etc... Naturally, none of these requirements talk about the construction quality, keel separation, leaks or anything else common to these boats. I'm sure it has been pointed out to you some Catalinas have made such trips which is true but given the choice, there are other options designed for storage, interior safety of crew, etc...
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 19:19   #5

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
My wife and I are the local coordinators of this year's Pacific Puddle Jump. According to our data base, of the 110 boats that have signed up to join the fleet, four are Catalinas. Keith and Susan Levy, who did the 2002 Pacific Puddle Jump and have spoke at several of the seminars here in Banderas Bay, covered tens of thousands of miles in their Catalina 47, C'est La Vie.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 19:36   #6

Boat: 1972 Tartan 34C Fleur De Mer
Being a blue water boat has sooo much more than just the rigging. It has more to do with pressures of big waves crashing down on the boat with tons of pressure, and the ocean trying to get in anyway it can. I personally would think twice before I attemped such a venture on one of these boats. If the boat isnt classified as a Cat A or B boat then you take uneccissary risk in your own hands. In many cases trying to bring a Cat C boat up to par would cost more than if you just bought a boat rated Cat A or B in the first place.
CDunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 20:25   #7

i guess what im really asking is if anyone knows of any particular areas on the boat that continually show structural weaknesses from year to year?

CDunc.. you mentioned that it might be more money than it is worth buying a Cat C boat. could you elaborate on that.. im not familiar with Cat A and B and C. is this a rating of structural integrity of boats?
Old 13-02-2011, 20:38   #8

What size and year is the boat?
SailingWebGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 20:52   #9

i dont own the boat yet, but have been looking at mid 80's 38' and 36's.
Old 13-02-2011, 20:56   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
If you don't own a boat yet, why not just fly over and buy a boat over there? It would be a LOT safer!
Old 14-02-2011, 06:17   #11

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurham View Post
i guess what im really asking is if anyone knows of any particular areas on the boat that continually show structural weaknesses from year to year?
Again - you are not telling what Catalina. There are very many boats by Catalina. Which one do you have / plan to use for the passage?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 07:27   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Catalina's crossing the Pacific must not be a big deal as I have known and seen anywhere from a half dozen or more each year do it. Quite a few Aussie's buy them in the USA and then sail them back to OZ-land. And they all make it just fine.
- - If you do the Pacific during the normal "milk-run" season there are few if any challenges beyond the bureaucrats at some islands. And likewise I have seen and have friends crossing the Pacific in sailboats I wouldn't take out of sight of land, and they even make it across. So really it is not that much of a challenge to the boat so long as you are not the kind of person who seeks out storms or refuses to wait for a better weather window.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 08:40   #13

Boat: 1972 Tartan 34C Fleur De Mer
bdurham,

These are the Categories, they tell the Designer what to design for in terms of strength, stability ect.

A. OCEAN: Designed for extended voyages where conditions may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights of 4 m and above but excluding abnormal conditions, and vessels largely self-sufficient.

B. OFFSHORE: Designed for waves of up to 4m significant height and a wind of Beaufort force 8 or less. Such conditions may be encountered on offshore voyages of sufficient length or on coasts where shelter may not always be immediately available. Such conditions may also be experienced on inland seas of sufficient size for the wave height to be generated.

C. INSHORE: Designed for waves of up to 2m significant height and a typical steady wind force of Beaufort force 6 or less. Such conditions may be encountered on exposed inland waters, and in coastal waters in moderate weather conditions.

D. SHELTERED WATERS: Designed for voyages on sheltered coastal waters, small bays, small lakes, rivers and canals when conditions up to, and including, wind force 4 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 0.3m may be experienced, with occasional waves of 0.5m maximum height, for example from passing vessels.

For instance if im designing a Cat C boat I can use lighter materials, thinner laminates, less stringers and webs or smaller, ect.

Good luck in your venture and I hope this helps you to make a more informed decission.
CDunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 08:47   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

The facts are.. just about any coastal cruiser with good stability and adequate tankage will make it over at the right time of year.... else marine ply 19ftrs would never have circumnavigated... dealing with/surviving bad weather will be down to your skills not the boats category... even an 'A' will sink if abused...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 09:06   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
These are the Catalina yachts certified in compliance with CE categorgy "A":
Catalina 30 mkIII
Catalina 310
Catalina 320
Catalina 34 mkII
Catalina 350
Catalina 36mkII
Catalina 387
Catalina 400
Catalina 42mkII
Catalina 470

It's easy to find this info on their website at: Yachts and boats for sale - Catalina Yachts

Tags
catalina