Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2018, 08:10   #31

Boat: 2023 Catalina 425 #95 (previously, 2016 Leopard 44 catamaran and 1997 Catalina 34 Mk II)
Re: Catalina/Beneteau/Hunter/Jeanneau good enough for coastal cruising?

I agree with you, Stu, since (as you know) we'd sailed our 1997 Catalina from SF Bay to Monterey and Half Moon Bay many times.

Happy New Year!

Jon
jonarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 08:40   #32

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Can't speak for Catalinas as I have never sailed one.. did own a Hunter 37 Cherubini cutter that was great.. solo'd her to the UK from NC.
Owned a Bene 321 and a 331.. both of which I solo'd Caribe to the UK..
Jeanneau's, I've sailed 2 under 40ft across/around the Med, nice sailers..
So for those 3 marques I would say Yes..
Perfectly fine for what you want, bearing in mind you maintain them properly.
The Cherubini Hunters were very well built compared to other Hunters.

A bigger issue than price is depreciation cost. I have been in 10 year old Hunters that show their age. The cabinetry was deteriorating. The true cost of a boat is the difference between what you paid for a boat and what you can sell it for.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 09:16   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I too believe their construction to be more robust than the big three French boats and their ilk, at least in their larger models. Haven't looked into the smaller ones in many years and don't know how they stack up.

Jim
Bene are a big step up in the 25ft class. Don't know about Jeanneau.
grahamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 09:22   #34

Boat: Catalina 30

I've owned Cals and Catalinas. For my money, a Cal boat is built slightly better, but the Catalina is a very serviceable boat for all but Force 4 and above conditions. If you've taken the time to reinforce the stanchions with backing plates, have a back up bilge pump and have the proper supplies on board for an emergency, I don't think you'll have any problems. I've sailed my Catalina 30 in the miserable squalls we get here on Lake Michigan, and she was strong and sturdy. I've had her in 30 kt winds and she was strong and sturdy... even while I was foolish enough to not reef. ( Ok, so it came on quickly, and I kept thinking it was just one of those puffs we get on the lake... here and gone. It wasn't)
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 11:52   #35

Boat: 2001 Catalina 400 MKII
Send a message via MSN to CCR2580

Have sailed my Catalina 400 from Charleston SC to Bahamas three times with no problems.
CCR2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 15:08   #36

Boat: Hunter 44DS

I have a Hunter44ds that was sailed from Canada thru the Panama Canal all the way to Australia it survived. I’ve sailed the east coast of Australia for the last 6 years and survived a few very bad seas that I shouldn’t have been out in.
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 15:43   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
They still can't quality for A certification so Catalina's are out of the question .

My 26 feet havebbeen qualified with A up to 2 people and ii hardly consider it offshore , so any boat without it doesn't worth the money.

Beneteau and janneau are the best on your list, hunters I don't have a clear opinion , but don't waste money on Catalina or on the hull made only for inshore , the shame stormy conditions can get you offshore as inshore with the seccond ones be more critical (Lee shore )
That's funny! My 1996 Catalina 30 Mk III has a A rating!
gregorybross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 15:49   #38

I purchased a 1978 built Catalina in late 1979, beefed up the rigging, sailed from Longbeach to UK via Panama and later circumnavigated the world from Singapore to Singapore via Cape Horn and UK in 1986-87, including a roll-over off Nwfoundland. Still own her..and occasionally sail. Wonderful boat.
Rumbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 16:00   #39

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I thought we have this question & discussion every Thursday...but today is only Tuesday. Hmmm.....

Coastal Cruising is a misnomer. There are loads of boats along the Atlantic coast and in the Great Lakes sitting on the bottom. Big boats, solid boats...sunk boats.

After 24 years of owning the same lowly, cheap production Catalina 30 I can say it's weathered a lot more than I'd expected. To me "Small Craft Warnings" means Let's Go Sailing! I've beat the snot out of the boat, and it's taken it.

But I've also turned around and returned to port because I knew it was highly likely something big and dangerous was going to break.

Aside from which, not all Catalinas (et al) are designed the same. The Catalina 34 is far more solidly designed and built than most Catalinas.

I was in one storm in SoPac on a blue water boat in which two other boats disappeared. I didn't think much of it, and have absolutely no doubt my C30 would have weathered it just fine. I've been in far worse weather "coastal cruising".

My buddies took video on a trip from Bahamas to VA in which they got into a storm, IIRC it was a 38' Pearson, you know the 70s version with 2.5" thick glass hull. The video is nothing, but the audio of that boat trying to tear itself apart is horrifying.

I've seen several boats knocked down, with various results. I don't think my C30 would take a knockdown very well.

Catalina, Beneteau, Jeanneau- they're fine for decent weather, even rough weather. Not so much when the ship hits the fan.

Please return to arguing about Catalinas crossing oceans.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 16:28   #40

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Sail from Chesapeake Bay to New England and back in a Jeaneau 42 ( my friends boat) and in my hunter legend 37.5. I spend weeks at a time sailing and living on my boat. Keep a weather eye, and make good decisions....any of the production boats will be fine for your use. Your seamanship and accumen for risk avoidance are much more important than brand of boat.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 17:01   #41

Yes.
It’s what they are designed and intended for.
They are obviously good at it. Other brands are no longer in existence.

Personally. I have sailed more Catalina’s than the Euro boats. I particularly liked the 34. It turned out prefect for a coastal cruise with my wife and my elderly mum and dad. I chose it for comfort, it still sailed very well.

At the time it was ahead of the similar sise. Euro boats as a cruiser.
It’s built to American ABS rules. Which I would argue are as good as any.

As to which is best? The answer is personal choice. No boats are perfect. They are all a compromise.

For coastal cruising. Where I live they are ideal. Proven by the hundreds which are being cruised by cruising sailors.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 17:09   #42

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Also beware making the mistake of thinking that all boats of one manufacturer are equally good or bad. There are plenty of manufacturers who have made mistakes, boats from companies that are intended for fair weather sailing only built to a tight budget, and others by the same manufacturer either of a different model or date that are substantially better built. Look at the actual boat you’re thinking of buying, rather than including or excluding the entire output of a manufacturer.

Make sure that you can see what you need to see. For example, an open hull grid glassed and bonded to the hull is a perfectly good idea. You can see everything and inspect the hull inside and out either after a serious grounding or on purchase. Any damage to the hull or stress of the grid is immediately obvious. By contrast, an internal hull liner incorporating the structural grid is a terrible idea. The liner can separate from the hull in specific areas and you wouldn’t be able to tell, if the liner remains intact.

Find a good surveyor who you get on with, and discuss every boat with him/her. A good surveyor is a mine of information, and has seen way more than you will ever be able to.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 20:12   #43

Boat: Beneteau

I'm a Beneteau owner here on the northeast coast of Newfoundland and I see plenty of these boats from here and afar. My boat has never left me doubting my choice. We can't all afford the accepted top tier boats and must understand that what we have may not have the perfect tankage or the layout dictated by the latest guru but you know what? When I'm out sailing that silliness doesn't cross my mind even in the nastiest of weather.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:37   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
I'm a Beneteau owner here on the northeast coast of Newfoundland and I see plenty of these boats from here and afar. My boat has never left me doubting my choice. We can't all afford the accepted top tier boats and must understand that what we have may not have the perfect tankage or the layout dictated by the latest guru but you know what? When I'm out sailing that silliness doesn't cross my mind even in the nastiest of weather.
And nasty weather you have!

Spend many days with cancelled ferries and a very to k and roll tide in the St Pierre and Miquelon ferry!
theBeachBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:07   #45

Boat: Celestial 48

For coastal cruising I would say that a modern production boat such as Catalina et al are not only "good enough" but actually better than boats that would be called "blue water cruisers". The additional space under decks, bigger cockpit, and ease of getting in and out of the boat will all make life more enjoyable when anchored or in a marina on a coastal cruise. Features of an offshore specific boat are not needed and in some cases a pain in the ass when coasting.
As an example our boat has a small volume cockpit with a very high bridge deck. This is a great feature for off shore, but when we are relaxing at anchor would really prefer a low bridge deck and larger volume cockpit. Many 35 foot production boats are more roomy and comfortable than 40 foot or larger off shore specific boats.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, catalina, cruising, hunter, jeanneau