Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2013, 21:03   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Catalina 400 v Catalina 38 v Island Packet 380

Thinking of buying one of these 3 boats, mainly for Chesapeake Bay and often single handing. Definitely want in mast furling. Any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Skipp Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 05:04   #2
Marine Service Provider
 
FLLCatsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 452
Island packet is going to be the most comfortable, but least fun to sail. Catalina's are more fun to sail, but not as stoutly built as an island piglet...
__________________

__________________
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 06:53   #3
Registered User
 
jeremiason's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Boat: Sea Ray 270
Posts: 1,427
Images: 2
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Catalina 400 v Catalina 38 v Island Packet 380

I have owned three Catalina Sailboats, a C27, C36 and my current one a C470.

Any boat can be single handed with the right modifications.

As far as comparing a Catalina to an Island Packet I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

The boats are very different... The most obvious difference is Catalina sailboats are fin or wing keels, the Island Packet is a full or modified keel, adding more weight to the vessel. This means slower speeds in the Island Packet, but a better ride in rough seas.

The two Catalina designs you are looking at, in my opinion were not designed for long term cruising straight from the factory, but do well once modified. The Island Packet is, including more water and diesel tankage than those Catalinas.

IMHO, the newer Catalina Sailboats are built well and will handle most anything you throw at them. I just completed 33 months cruising on my boat with over 9500 NM logged. The boat performed very well!

If you are going to use the boat mostly for weekend stuff, I would suggest a Catalina. It will maneuver better in close quarters, have more cabin room, be considerably faster (Motor or Sail) and in generally will be cheaper to maintain.

They also have large owners groups with a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck!
__________________
Tom Jeremiason
Punta Gorda, Florida

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 12:53   #4
Registered User
 
Highland Fling's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Scotland but sail in the Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Posts: 374
Re: Catalina 400 v Catalina 38 v Island Packet 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
Island packet is going to be the most comfortable, but least fun to sail. Catalina's are more fun to sail, but not as stoutly built as an island piglet...

OUCH have you looked at or read about the serious issues IP boats have with their tanks AND their chain plates..............

stoutly built NOT

stoutly promoted and marketed OH YES....

caveat emptor
__________________
Now with 600AH of LIFEPO4
kindest regards
David
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 21:39   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
bstreep's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX/Port Aransas, TX
Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Posts: 2,274
Re: Catalina 400 v Catalina 38 v Island Packet 380

For coastal cruising, I happen to think the Catalina 400 is the best boat out there. No boat is perfect, and certainly I wouldn't want to be on a long offshore passage on one. But, it's a GREAT boat for what it's designed to do: a cockpit that will party 15 that you can walk into, decent sailing, decent draft, a centerline aft palace (with an aft cockpit!), a decent guest stateroom. Really, a fabulously designed boat. All in 40 feet (going to 41+ gets expensive, quickly).

Comparing it to an IP is like comparing a car to a pickup. Designed for different things.
__________________
Bill Streep
San Antonio/Port Aransas, TX
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 05:34   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 928
Re: Catalina 400 v Catalina 38 v Island Packet 380

If you aren't buying new- Buy the boat with the better prior owner. The one who maintained, equipped, labelled and generally over-invested.
__________________
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 18:33   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mystic
Boat: Sabre 38 mkII
Posts: 261
Re: Catalina 400 v Catalina 38 v Island Packet 380

Agree largely with this...buy the boat with the best set of electronics and newest sails that seems to be well kept..

though catalina and IP begs the question why just them?.. within that range of hull forms/cabin space lay a huge number of very interesting boats... for Cheasapeake though..look to shallow draft.

although its so common for folks to toot their own vessle, for sure certainly i would buy a Sabre 38 again... to me the very best balance of comfort/speed/looks/layout/storage/tankage/draft/length and outstanding build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
If you aren't buying new- Buy the boat with the better prior owner. The one who maintained, equipped, labelled and generally over-invested.
__________________
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 06:00   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
I have owned three Catalina Sailboats, a C27, C36 and my current one a C470.

Any boat can be single handed with the right modifications.

As far as comparing a Catalina to an Island Packet I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

The boats are very different... The most obvious difference is Catalina sailboats are fin or wing keels, the Island Packet is a full or modified keel, adding more weight to the vessel. This means slower speeds in the Island Packet, but a better ride in rough seas.

The two Catalina designs you are looking at, in my opinion were not designed for long term cruising straight from the factory, but do well once modified. The Island Packet is, including more water and diesel tankage than those Catalinas.

IMHO, the newer Catalina Sailboats are built well and will handle most anything you throw at them. I just completed 33 months cruising on my boat with over 9500 NM logged. The boat performed very well!

If you are going to use the boat mostly for weekend stuff, I would suggest a Catalina. It will maneuver better in close quarters, have more cabin room, be considerably faster (Motor or Sail) and in generally will be cheaper to maintain.

They also have large owners groups with a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck!
Thanks for your comments. About what I was expecting but just wanted to take advantage of your experience. Looking at several C400s now and they look like the most boat for the money and best suited for mostly Chesapeake Bay use.
__________________
Skipp Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 06:00   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
Island packet is going to be the most comfortable, but least fun to sail. Catalina's are more fun to sail, but not as stoutly built as an island piglet...
Thanks! Life is too short to not have fun!
__________________
Skipp Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 06:01   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
For coastal cruising, I happen to think the Catalina 400 is the best boat out there. No boat is perfect, and certainly I wouldn't want to be on a long offshore passage on one. But, it's a GREAT boat for what it's designed to do: a cockpit that will party 15 that you can walk into, decent sailing, decent draft, a centerline aft palace (with an aft cockpit!), a decent guest stateroom. Really, a fabulously designed boat. All in 40 feet (going to 41+ gets expensive, quickly).

Comparing it to an IP is like comparing a car to a pickup. Designed for different things.
Sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks for your comments.
__________________
Skipp Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 06:45   #11
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,311
Re: Catalina 400 v Catalina 38 v Island Packet 380

Buy the boat that YOU like!
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 11:16   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 183
Re: Catalina 400 v Catalina 38 v Island Packet 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
OUCH have you looked at or read about the serious issues IP boats have with their tanks AND their chain plates..............

stoutly built NOT

stoutly promoted and marketed OH YES....

caveat emptor
Arg! I just bought my IP460 recently and now find out from you its a piece of crap!
__________________

__________________
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catalina

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:40.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.