Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 21:58   #1

Catalina 36 - Opinions, Please

As an owner of three cruising boats in the past, a Pearson 365, Hunter passage 450, and a Formosa 47 ketch. I once again find myself wanting another cruising boat.. But this time family and price is more of an issue. whats your thoughts on a Catalina 36.
Thanks
williamegiddens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 23:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
My slip mate has an '80s Catalina 36. It appears to be a good boat with a very good interior layout. Seems to sail okay and maneuverable under power. Don't know how strongly they are built but his seems to stand up to the strong winds of SF Bay just fine. Also lots of them out there cruising. As far manufacturers reputation, it is certainly better than Formosa and Hunter.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, williamegiddens.

You may want to check out

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-ft-12536.html

Catalina 36/375 International Association | "It's always nice when there is a support network for used boat buyers and Catalina 36 has one of the best" (Boat US)

According to Jack Horner:
“one might say Catalina Yachts builds Fords for cruising sailors; their boats are relatively well built and contemporarily styled and economically priced. While some compromises are necessary to build affordable boats in this size and price range ...
... With nearly 3,000 boats sold over the last 26 years, the Catalina 36 is arguably the most popular sailboat of this size ever built ...

Review Here ➥ BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A. - Alberg 30

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:44   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
There are dozens of owner reviews you can check out on thr Sailboatowners dot com site with lots of info on issues and repairs as well
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:06   #5

Thanks everyone for the input. More on a budget this time around, so we we want to make the right decision.
williamegiddens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:38   #6
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Id like to know your experiences re Pearson 365? Seems like a nice boat.

I'm also considering a Catalina 36. Nice layout. I know there are a number of very successful blue water voyages on them, but I do not know if they were modified in any way.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:51   #7

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Catalina 36

We are a "Catalina Family" and have owned three different boats. A 1977 C-27, a 1984 C-36 and are currently fulltime cruisers on a 2006 C-470.

We sailed our Catalina 36 on the San Francisco Bay and the Northern California coast. She was 20 years young when we purchased her. You will find many of the earlier boats have original rigging and electronics, which will require upgrades. We upgraded or replaced the sails, traveler, running rigging and electronics. Purchasing a newer C-36 (Less than 10 years old) would probably be a better way to go to avoid doing all the upgrades.

The boat sailed well in all types of wind and seas. It was comfortable for trips of a couple of weeks for two persons and daysailed great with six people. It was very easy to single hand, once we ran all rigging to the cockpit.

The boat had a forward facing NAV Station and a port side galley, which we favored. The universal diesel ran well, but was a little hard to access for routine maintenance. The refrigerator will need more insulation in the older models. The head/shower combo is adequate and we used the shower frequently. We used the Forward V-Berth for sleeping, but there is also a large aft bunk. We found both bunks hard to get out of, without waking your partner.

We also lived on the boat for about 9 months while waiting for our current one to be built. In my opinion, it was a little tight for fulltime cruising, but everyone has their own comfort level.

A great way to find out more about the Catalina 36 is go to the Catalina 36 Association site at: www.catalina36.org . Catalina owners tend to be very honest about there boats and will give you lots of information.

Hope that helps... Fair Winds

Tom Jeremiason
SV Camelot
Home Port: San Francisco, CA
www.SailingCamelot.us
jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 11:33   #8

Re: Catalina 36 - windlass installation

I need some advice relative to a catalina 36
I'm considering buying a 83 catalina 36, It doesn't have a windlass & I'm not sure how one could be installed. The chain locker is hinged on both sides & opens in the middle. Would the windlass be mounted abaft of the locker?
ted Buehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 11:39   #9

Boat: Catalina 34
Re: Catalina 36 - windlass installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted Buehler View Post
I need some advice relative to a catalina 36
I'm considering buying a 83 catalina 36, It doesn't have a windlass & I'm not sure how one could be installed. The chain locker is hinged on both sides & opens in the middle. Would the windlass be mounted abaft of the locker?
You may want to check out the C36 owner's association- I'm sure there will be several people with experience with this there: Catalina 36/375 International Association | "It's always nice when there is a support network for used boat buyers and Catalina 36 has one of the best" (Boat US)

I have a C34 and plan to install a windlass, here's someone who has done it on a 34: Home Page Brochures* Contribute Cool stuff Database FAQ Fleets For sale* Gallery** History JOIN Links Mailing List Manuals Message
Old 24-07-2013, 11:40   #10

Re: Catalina 36 - Opinions, Please

abaft, or in the locker often done. Problem with abaft is that might put the chain drop behind the chain locker. On one boat I made a fancy support in the chain locker and cut the lids to match the windlass base periphery. Worked out real nice... but alot of messing around.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 12:30   #11

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I owned three Catalinas and had a 1984 Catalina 36... Although I didn't do it some of my friend did... They mounted it just aft of the locker.

SAW77 is right to point you towards the International Catalina 36 Association... The have a great Tech Advice Page. Someone has already written a paper on installing a windlass.

Technical | Catalina 36/375 International Association

Good luck... You have a great boat!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 13:47   #12

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

I put a windless on my brother's C 36 for him. It was pretty easy. It sat on a stainless steel base I had made. The whole thing sits inside the anchor locker. Look on the Catalina 34 International site for the way I built it on my C 34. I made another just like it for the C 36. By the way, my brother loves his boat. It sails very well (and it has been pointed out, SF Bay has lots of wind), and it is very well laid out. It is important to be careful about the quality of the gear and fittings on an older boat. If you're careful you can get a heck of a lot of boat for your money.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 36