Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2012, 15:31   #1

Boat: Moody 34
Catalina 36 MKII

Anybody have any experience on this type of Catalina sailboat? (Catalina mk ll ) There is one asking 84k and although I am searching for something else I was wondering if anyone had experience sailing/cruising on one of these in the Bahamas and Carib.
My heart is set on a catamaran but lately I have been wondering if I should just get a less expensive monohull and just GET OUT THERE already.
Secondary question I guess is that the real issue is I can get the Gemini catamaran I like in the 80-120k range or a monohull for half that amount. I know whatever i get i will have to put money to make it seaworthy- so maybe that cheaper monohull will cost 30k to make it ready - second question was if anyone could comment on their own conflict about wanting a used catamaran or getting a monohull for much cheaper. Not contemplating a circumnavigation - just learning to sail it for a few season on the Chesapeake and then onward down IC to s. Florida, Bahamas, and maybe carib or gulf side of Mexico.
I don't mind the healing of a monohull or the motion at anchor but will have my wife along and would like to make it 'milder' for her.
Any input is appreciated-
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 20:32   #2

Re: Catalina 36 MKII

Here is some advice about "Cat vs Mono" from someone who sailed around the world on a cat and who now lives on a mono ... usually in Mexico:

Cat vs. Mono - The Verdict | Sail Feed

One of my friends is an Australian captain who used to mock my desire to own a cat. He can sail anything and has sailed all over the world, but considered cats almost beneath him ... like it was distasteful, or cheating or something.

Anyway, that captain took his girlfriend for a chartered cruise in the Carib, and now they OWN an awesome cat. His girlfriend HATED the constant rocking on his mono in San Francisco, but didn't even know that cats existed. One hour on that cat was all it took. She loves sailing now, and she refuses to step aboard another mono.

As for me, I am still shopping. I cannot even consider a cat ... too expensive, but I would if I could. So, I will find a solid 30-34' used mono (Pearson? Hunter?) that needs work and live on it 6 months a year in Chicago and 6 months in the Caribbean.

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about your decision.

Robert
robertscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina 36