Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 07:41   #31

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I've seen this before. Both of them made those trips out of life-threatening necessity, not by choice and both would have quickly chosen any other alternative.
There were alternatives

Bligh could have let the natives kill him and Shackleton could have frozen or starved to death. See, alternatives.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 16:33   #32

Boat: Balboa 23 ft
Motorcycle, Motorboat/Sailboat, Motorhome, Resthome.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
I've also been wondering about "is our boat the right one?" We have a Pearson 34 and hope to do the intercoastal waterway in the US and the islands. I hope to never be offshore more than 24 hours, ever.

But reading on many forums I need a blue water boat. I've had the boat out in 25+ knots on the Pamlico Sound and it feels like my fillings are going to get knocked out because the boat does pound! So last weekend I got to talk to a long term cruiser, one that has done the east coast of the US and the south Pacific. She said to get a blue water boat because you never know where you'll end up. Buy your last boat to cruise so you will never have to upgrade.

I'd love to get that big heavy expensive boat but the extra money it will take to buy and equip it will let me sail for at least one to two years on the cost to upgrade alone.

So I looked on the internet, found some possible big boats and then thought about it all night. Thought about how much it will cost, how much work it will take to fix up, the two years of working on the boat at every opportunity to get it ready.

Then this morning my head cleared and I remembered similar situations where I did what was right for me, not the the common opinion.

So here are other times when the herd and I parted ways:

Buy the biggest house you can afford. Don't pay off your house, the tax deduction will hurt you. ( I paid off our starter home and hope to rent it for income to cruise!)

Buy your car by borrowing against the home so you can deduct the interest. (Finally learned to pay cash, wish I'd done that sooner!)

Invest in the stock market for the long term. ( Done that some but wised up!)

Don't buy gold it never makes money. ( I wished I'd bought all I could 9 years ago.)

Don't buy those junky Harbour Freight tools. ( Some times a throw away tool is the best.)

Don' buy that really high priced tool. (Somtiems the good stuff is worth the price.)

Keep that %$# job for the security. (What security? )

Don't pay off all your debt, it will ruin your credit score. ( Debt free means I may be able to cruise someday.)

You've got a big boat, you can go out in this. (I've also got a wife that won't go with me if I beat her up due to macho attitude.)

So I started writing this to clear my head some more. And then I remembered what an old sailor told me years ago that is very important and that I didn't want to hear, "What happens to old sailors? Why they sell their sailboats and buy trawlers and motor up and down the intercoastal. "

I don't think they make bluewater trawlers. If some retiree can go where I want to go, on a boat the will roll with every wave, then surely I can make it on the Pearson!

Sorry if I rambled but I needed to write this out to put my thoughts in order.

Dale
SurfnRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 17:10   #33

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
There are many what I would call middle tier sailboats very capable of gunkholing up and down each coast provided they are driven by competent, reasonably cautious folks. Knowledge and common sense trumps boat design in almost every case. I'vs seen some incredibly well found, pricey off shore designs driven by total idiots with more money than brains get into serious trouble through poor judgement and lack of knowledge and ability. Every mile under your keel adds to your knowledge base and most cruisers are only too happy to share local knowledge, do's and don'ts and solutions to survival and comfort. Just do your homework, fit out your boat sensibly, get sound advice and follow it and you should be fine... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 18:39   #34

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Tanzer 28, 1972, first owner and his wife hopped halfway around the world in her...the cat 32 will be ok..I don't like that big ass hatch though..
Old 03-11-2010, 06:07   #35

Boat: Island Packet 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
There are many what I would call middle tier sailboats very capable of gunkholing up and down each coast provided they are driven by competent, reasonably cautious folks. Knowledge and common sense trumps boat design in almost every case. I'vs seen some incredibly well found, pricey off shore designs driven by total idiots with more money than brains get into serious trouble through poor judgement and lack of knowledge and ability. Every mile under your keel adds to your knowledge base and most cruisers are only too happy to share local knowledge, do's and don'ts and solutions to survival and comfort. Just do your homework, fit out your boat sensibly, get sound advice and follow it and you should be fine... Capt Phil
I second your thoughts Phil, and would add that every boat has tradeoffs vs the others, and you just need to make sure you know what those are. Researching that is one of the great benefits of this forum!
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 15:26   #36

Boat: Cape Dory 22, Rag Time
Find a Cape Dory 28, 30 or 33. You will be happy
omaho5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina