Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2011, 12:39   #1

Boat: Watkins 29'
Catalina 30 Revisited

My wife and I are finally at the stage in life where we can travel and would like to solicit some suggestions and opinions. We are both life long boaters and have been boating together for 35 years. Some of the boats we owned over the years are a 25' Seidelman, 35' Allmand, 2-27' Watkins, 40' Marine Trader trawler. I'm thinking of doing the typical snow bird run on the ICW from NJ to the Fla Keys. My thinking is leaning towards a Catalina 30 for various reasons, mostly economic. Unfortunately I still need to work, and I really don't want to be boat poor, that being said we are not getting any younger and would really like to get going next fall. I would like to find a shoal draft version Catalina 30 in the 20k range in reasonably good shape now, and spend the winter/ spring / summer refitting and upgrading were necessary. Some other boats that interest me are the Morgan OI 33' and Morgan 32' however the smaller Catalina 30' has a lot going for it because parts and sails are readily available and I'm thinking the occasional marina slip will be cheaper as well as most other associated costs...
Old 17-11-2011, 13:07   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 41
Re: Catalina 30 revisited

I have a good friend who is getting ready to sell his Morgan 33. He took it to the Bahamas in '09/'10, and has it Fl. now. He is replacing the main and remounting the radar after getting hammered in a recent gale off the coast. He has a non-sailor fiance and is going with a motor home instead. Let me know, I can PM you his info.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 13:28   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha,
Catalina 30 is a good choice because they are very economical and as common as Chevys. I'd stay away from a wing keel if you are going to do the ICW. I'm not familiar with Morgans but understand they have some good quality vessels. The extra few feet will give you quite a bit more interior space.
Good condition and regular maintenance by the previous owner is the key to a good boat and I'd prefer a diesel engine.
Good luck in your choice.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:15   #4

Re: Catalina 30 Revisited

I also have owned a number of cruising sailboats,28 to 40 feet.As a 70 year old and mostly single handing,I now own a '92 Catalina 30 TRWK,which I cruise on lakes Michigan and Huron.I now know why these boats have such a devoted following.For me the interior space, ease of sailing,reefing,and basic maintenance are most important.C-30's are everywhere.In this boat market,with a little patience,you should find a good reliable boat that will hold it's value.Best of luck.
roberthallowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 13:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha,
Catalina 30 is a good choice because they are very economical and as common as Chevys. I'd stay away from a wing keel if you are going to do the ICW. I'm not familiar with Morgans but understand they have some good quality vessels. The extra few feet will give you quite a bit more interior space.
Good condition and regular maintenance by the previous owner is the key to a good boat and I'd prefer a diesel engine.
Good luck in your choice.
Hey John,
Curious why you say the wing keel would be a bad choice for the ICW? I'm thinking the shoal draft models would be better for the ICW and Keys. I agree with the diesel engine.
Old 11-12-2011, 13:26   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

My last boat was a wing keel, while it's draft was less when that wing gets into the mud.....it's really in the mud! And as the tide goes out you are sitting on the keel as the boat is not going to lay over on the hull.
Old 12-12-2011, 20:44   #7

Boat: 1982 Catalina 30

My wife and I have sailed our Catalina 30 everywhere between Bodega Bay and San Diego over the past 30 years we've owned her. We've done all the important (and unimportant) upgrades to the boat - from re-wiring to rigging to chain plates to stuffing boxes to steering cables to cockpit drain hoses. (Oh, you should see the modifications - we've spent more on them than the boat cost 30 years ago.) We're planning a similar trip, starting with the Baja HaHa in 2013 or 14 and working our way to Miami, if Dockwise is sailing from the West Coast again by then. 25 years ago we hung out with a couple who'd sailed their Catalina 30 with a 1 lung universal throughout the South Pacific. The boat is capable, but its really slow (most every boat designed back then is) and I'm more interested in a safe and sane adventure and a very happy wife. All that said, the 30 is going to work for your trip. The wing keel, while of shallower draft, is, when stuck in the mud, really stuck and you can't heel her over to break the suction and reduce draft because with a wing, you're only burying the wing deeper. I've much more to say but I broke my arm and typing is slow. Thankfully my wife can single hand the boat so were not landlocked until I heal. (And that's an important thing to boating too. A talented and competent crew.)
Ron
1CaptainRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 13:50   #8

Thanks everyone for your input, was not aware of the problems with the wing keel. Seems the standard 5'-3" draft would be ok for what we are looking to do, just a little concerned about Keys.

Tags
catalina, catalina 30