Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 10:08   #1

Catalina 30 & My first boaters sin...

I committed the first cardinal sin of boat ownership.... I went to look at a bigger boat. I knew I shouldn't have, but I did it anyway, trying to tell myself that "I was only looking for a friend who lives up north." Which is true, I did go to look at an Irwin 30 for my friend, but the Catalina just happened to be a few slips down and owned by the same seller.

I've seen a lot of boats this size, but I've never been aboard a Catalina. This was a 1985 Catalina 30 Tall rig. It was in amazing shape, purred like a kitten under motor, and was extremely clean and well taken care of.

I really, Really, REALLY liked the interior layout the most. Full standing room, the galley was a nice size, there was room to lounge around the salon couches, the berths were huge, and the head was a nice size as well.

I'm having a very hard time resisting the urge to give into the
"three-foot-itis" after only two months of owning my Hunter 27'. But I know that I have way more learning to do before moving up a class.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:32   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Catalina 30 & My first boaters sin...

make the jump the catalina sails so much better and you will enjoy the space
I just splashed my cat 30 with the new owner and am enroute to pick up my cat 36 in San Francisco
but I still love the 30
idylours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:33   #3

I learned to sail on a hunter 20 something it taught me that boats start at 30 ft
Old 10-05-2017, 10:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylours View Post
I learned to sail on a hunter 20 something it taught me that boats start at 30 ft
There's only a 3 foot difference but there's a whole extra foot of beam. I couldn't get over how much room there was on that boat compared to mine.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:53   #5

and it's a lot easier to handle
turns on a dime under power and sails itself
Old 10-05-2017, 11:06   #6

Boat: Catalina 387

One of the reasons they built over 6400 C-30's is that it's a great boat. It was a brilliant design decision to make it very beamy, thus having much more accommodation space than other 30 footers when it was first sold. The other great thing about them is they're cheap. They sail well for being so fat, but definitely not a fast boat compared to other/more modern fin keeled boats. Engine access is amazingly good since it's not stuffed under the companionway ladder.

Definitely not a bluewater boat, but a fantastic boat for what it was designed to do.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post

Definitely not a bluewater boat, but a fantastic boat for what it was designed to do.

I did like the engine access as well! This one had a Universal diesel in it that purred so quietly, you could actually carry on a conversation inside! NOT something you can do with my 1 banger.

I'll will probably NEVER do any blue water cruising, but we may sail the gulf coast eastward and down the coast of Florida to the Keys and the Caribbean.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:14   #8

Boat: PDQ 36

Can you sell your current boat reasonably fast? Then why not trade up? There's no law to say that you can't!!
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminAK View Post
Can you sell your current boat reasonably fast? Then why not trade up? There's no law to say that you can't!!

Not sure. I thought about it, but I also got such a good deal on my Hunter that I'd hate to get myself in deeper. I paid cash for my Hunter and own it outright with title. I basically bought the yanmar engine and got the hull free. If I decide to jump now, I'd have to end up with a note for a few years.
Old 10-05-2017, 13:06   #10

If you don't mind me asking, what was the price on the C30?
Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 13:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what was the price on the C30?
He has it listed at $20K, but would accept $15K.

He owes $9K on it, but has $12K in updates.

So somewhere in there I guess.
Old 10-05-2017, 13:21   #12

Yes, that is tempting and a good price if it all checks out. Good luck with your decision. Man, I want to go look at this boat but that might be a bad idea on my end.
Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:32   #13

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Another great thing about Cat 30s is that there's ALWAYS a good buy to be found on one. If the timing isn't right for this one, no worries, there will be others! I love mine

I would also add, don't discount earlier ones, and especially don't be shy of getting one with the Atomic 4 gas engine. I was ready to pull the trigger on an '85, when the survey found a fairly serious mast issue that the owners wouldn't negotiate on. Then I looked at an older one, a '78, that I had seen on CL for a few months. Checked it out to find that it had had all the spars and rigging replaced just two years earlier. So, I bought her for $13k. Hull #825, built less than two miles from my home (shame they closed the Woodland Hills plant a few years back).

It has the A4, which apparently turned off a few potential buyers, according to the PO. I've now had her 5 years, and the only engine issues were replacing the manifold (eBay, $200) and exhaust hot section (McMaster and my own labor, about $70 in parts).
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:42   #14

Boat: Carver 356

When my wife and I were looking to buy our first boat, after looking at many, we decided a C27 would be a good fit for our family. One day after looking at another so-so C27, we just happened to stumble on a C30. The moment we stepped into the salon, we knew it was the boat for us. Bought it the next day. Had it 4 years and served us well.
Went to powerboats for 10 years and now back to sail with A C34.

Bottom line....C30's are great boats.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:52   #15

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
There's only a 3 foot difference but there's a whole extra foot of beam. I couldn't get over how much room there was on that boat compared to mine.
When boats get longer you're really gaining space in the middle - it's amazing how quickly they get big.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, boat