Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 15:09   #1

Boat: 1979 Ericson 27
Catalina 27 vs Ericson 27

Hi there every one! I am in the process of selling my Chrysler 26 and at the same time I am looking for a replacement. I have found, close by, a great deal on a 77 Catalina 27. However, I know the Ericson 27 is a close competitor to the Catalina. There is an Ericson 27 near by for sale as well, but it is less outfitted than the Catalina. Both have the Atomic 4 in them. I know the Ericson is a better built boat, but I will be sailing in the Great Lakes and I may not need the stoutness of the Ericson. Is there any cons vs. pro's that you all could give me? Thanks for your time.
sailerkid49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 15:15   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Some of the C27s had a fundamental construction flaw ( polite term for stupidity) when they used a wood mast step. If your candidate C doesn't have that, the biggest consideration to me would be in how each has been maintained through it's life - the better kept boat would be a big consideration.
Having said that, the E27 is a much better built boat generally, sails equally as well if not better and has a much more sturdy and forgiving underwater form with it's modified full and integrated keel - i.e., no keel bolts and the ubiquitous keel separation on Catalinas (which C owners say is no big deal???????).
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 15:22   #3

Well, this Catalina does not have the wooden mast step. Good to know though. The Catalina is currently stored indoors, but as to the last thirty some years I do not know. I for sure understand what you are saying about the keel. I think C owners call it "Catalina Smile." Is this only characteristic of Catalina's though or is this common with most fin keel boats? Thanks for the input.
Old 07-12-2010, 15:33   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
It is only common on Catalinas. For some reason, they tend to dismiss it as insignificant while if it happened on any other boat, it is considered a major issue. I guess familiarity breeds complacency.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 15:32   #5

Boat: Catalina C-42
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
It is only common on Catalinas. For some reason, they tend to dismiss it as insignificant while if it happened on any other boat, it is considered a major issue. I guess familiarity breeds complacency.
Certainly not limited to Catalinas. I've seen the "smile" in Beneteau's, C&Cs, Islanders, Ericsons and others. FWIW, my C-42 has never had a smile and the C-38 before this boat did not have the smile.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 15:36   #6

I'd take an Ericson over a Catalina, but that's just me.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 15:40   #7

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailerkid49 View Post
I know the Ericson is a better built boat, but I will be sailing in the Great Lakes and I may not need the stoutness of the Ericson.
That's a poor assumption. Surely there are Great Lake conditions you wouldn't want to be in even with an Ericson. They don't call the lakes "great" for nothing.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 18:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
That's a poor assumption. Surely there are Great Lake conditions you wouldn't want to be in even with an Ericson. They don't call the lakes "great" for nothing.
This is true. I guess my point was that I am not trying to find a boat that can handle any and every situation. My assumption was just that the Ericson was a better built boat and that it could handle the Lakes and more. I guess ultimately the difference between the two boats would be which is the best deal. Meaning what is included in the sale and the overall care of the boat in the past years. The Catalina, in my case, is much better equipped than the Ericson (the one that is for sale by me) and it has been stored indoors during the winter months most of its life. The Ericson is more money, but less equipped. I think just for that reason I would go with the Catalina. Please though if there is any other comments on these two boats, I would love to hear them. I have not handed anyone money yet, so I am still open to thoughts. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2010, 18:46   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
ERICSON hands down,. the 27 ericson is an excellent sailing boat-- you will LOVE her. there is no comparison. ericson is NOT tupperware boat. catalina is. ericson is a wonderful sailing boat. i have 35mII. i absolutely LOVE her. but i am gonna cruise my formosa. you will want the ericson in grt lakes-- gets wet and wild there....ericson !!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:47   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney_k View Post
Certainly not limited to Catalinas. I've seen the "smile" in Beneteau's, C&Cs, Islanders, Ericsons and others...
Indeed.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:25   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Having sailed both the Catalina 27 and the Ericson, there doesn't seem to be all that much difference sailing wise. As to the Ericson, if the boat was well cared for, it's likely a very good alternative and they can be good sea-boats. The advantage of the Catalina is, however, .that the manufacturer is still in business and can supply, or provide you with direction to, almost anything you might need to maintain and/or restore the yacht at very reasonable cost.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:57   #12

as an ercicson owner, the ericson is a go anywhere kinda boat and parts are easily obtained-- btdt with my 35. boat parts are easy-- most are perko or abi anymore-- and used stuff is easily found at swap meets. ericson is heavier by a tad than catalina--i get to watch as they ride in this bay--i would definitely take ericsn-- besides, i have blown away catalinas with jib only under sail.
design wise--is bruce king(ericson) vs frank butler(catalina)--you decide--only you have to live with your purchase. ericson at this time has a slightly better resale value.
on great lakes in storm-- remember edmund fitzgerald.
Old 09-12-2010, 13:10   #13

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
We had an ericson 27 which was a very nice boat except under power if you let go of the tiller for a second it would U-turn. Sturdy though.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 14:01   #14

u turn is secondary to prop pitch and fin keel/spade rudder combos. mine is a 35--fin/spade ericson-- do NOT let go of tiller/wheel and expect ANY fin/spade to track..LOL even tho 35mII will track better as the shape of keel is different from the other ericsons.
Old 09-12-2010, 14:57   #15

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
So..... how come my oday 27 with the fin keel and spade rudder did not u-turn? The Ericson (Mine anyway) had about 15 or more degrees angle om the rudder post. The Oday did not. Both did fine under sail. The prop wash was about the same distance. I think the angle was the issue. I had both boats at the same time and shared sails as they had nearly the same rigs. Catalina vs Ericson? I would likely take the Ericson.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, ericson