Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2011, 20:56   #1

Boat: Grampian 26
Catalina 27

I am looking at getting a catalina 27 1980, will be driving to see it next week, anyone have info on how she handles, is it fast , a good crusier.
the ad was very limited, and is an estate sale. so price can be right, they didnt know inventory so I will assume basic knot, depth compass, head.
any cat owners prior or current have comments please.

Thanks in advance
Bill
knottygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 22:32   #2

Boat: Haida 26
Re: Catalina 27

Owned one early 80's, not bad, comfortable, not the best sea boat, but will serve most needs. They are easy to sail & handle. Probaly has a Atomic four inboard or an outboard. Pray for the inboard, Atomic Fours are easy to get parts and are reliable. Great boat if the price is right.Michael
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 05:30   #3

Boat: km 30 junk rig steel hull , toutai

Catalina 27 , great study boat ,mine had a atomic 4 (modified) had a lot of fun , perfect entry level boat.
toutaitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 06:27   #4

Boat: Pearson 422

We cruised as a family of 4 on a 27 for several years on the Chesapeake. Reasonably comfortable for Chesapeake conditions. Would not have felt comfortable journeying too much farther.

Ours was the outboard model and older vintage (older = mostly lighter and faster). We learned to plan for about a 4 1/2 kt SOG for most trips. Not a lot of storage capacity in terms of weight. Too many toys tended to change her waterline and slow her down quite a bit.

With the outboard, we had very low maintenance costs. Pulled the engine ever couple years to have it tuned, but that's about it.

Bottom line - for the right price, go for it. Lots of fun memories.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 07:51   #5

here is what i have found so far it has 2 new sails (Genoa, two batten main ) bought in 2009 and were used twice. New furler 2010. New head and holding tank 2009. Atomic 4 engine rebuilt in 2009, all safety equip, charts and gear for around the 10k mark
so far I am the only person that has called on it so I am going to see her this week tues or wednesday. alchol stove is missing but I have a new one on my boat so no biggy and I can move other items if need be.
Old 22-04-2011, 08:00   #6

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

I own one now and sail the PNW with her. Check the bulk heads and the chain plates closely. It's a great boat that utilizes the interior space very well. Easy to single hand and goes well in light air. Best of all Catalina is still in business and you can get any part you need with no trouble at all. Drawback= with the inboard engine it is a major problem to work on. Just checking the oil is a job for a young person or an accomplished contortionist. BTW mine has an OB and I cruise at 4.8. She'll do 6.1 on the GPS with the throttle wide open.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 08:05   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

with so many C-27s on the market at any given time, the two major determinants of market value are whether it's got an inboard and whether it's got the tall rig.

Were I buying a boat built three decades ago, the first thing I'd want to look at would be the keel bolts. Then I'd take a real close look at the chain plates.
Old 22-04-2011, 11:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
with so many C-27s on the market at any given time, the two major determinants of market value are whether it's got an inboard and whether it's got the tall rig.

Were I buying a boat built three decades ago, the first thing I'd want to look at would be the keel bolts. Then I'd take a real close look at the chain plates.
ok added to the list, thanks
Old 22-04-2011, 12:51   #9

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

Worth checking any stringers that the sole boards rest on. If encapsulated, and anyone drilled through them without sealling, they likely will need replacing. BTW are you giving up on the Hughes, or has two footitis bitten you already?
Fair Winds
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 12:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottygurl View Post
I am looking at getting a catalina 27 1980, will be driving to see it next week, anyone have info on how she handles, is it fast , a good crusier.
the ad was very limited, and is an estate sale. so price can be right, they didnt know inventory so I will assume basic knot, depth compass, head.
any cat owners prior or current have comments please.

Thanks in advance
Bill
Like others have said...Great starter boat. Atomic 4 would be ideal. Good headroom, nice galley, great salon and cabin. I am a former Catalina Yacht employee from the Woodland Hills, Ca. plant so if you have any other questions feel free to shoot them my way.
Ed
EdArango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 16:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchcraft View Post
Worth checking any stringers that the sole boards rest on. If encapsulated, and anyone drilled through them without sealling, they likely will need replacing. BTW are you giving up on the Hughes, or has two footitis bitten you already?
Fair Winds
Still have the hughes, and ready to go with it, but the price of the bigger boat is almost worth buying just for price alone, and then moving into the bigger boat this year, the huges is done, cabin refinished, new electrical, new GPS,VHF,DEPTH, KNOT mast head, spreader lights, halyards, main and jib halyards sails still have a semi crispness to them so its all done.
BUT if I can grab a bigger headroom, faster boat for a small fee why not, then I can upgrade faster.

Tags
catalina