Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 10:44   #1

Boat: Ceol na Mara ~ Catalina 27
Catalina 27

Hello everyone,

It has been a few months since my last post, but as the boating season looms in the not-terribly-distant future, we are resuming the search for our first boat.

Last weekend we looked at a (1974) Catalina 27. When the boat's original owner died, the son inherited it and apparently let it sit on the hard on stilts in the marina for ten years. Two years ago, the current owners bought it and fixed it up - the interior teak has been refinished, it has new cushions/curtains, etc. They now have a newer boat, so they're selling this one. The standing rigging on looks good, the running rigging and main sail were replaced two years ago and have had little use.

They had the boat listed in 2006 for around $4600. During the past year or so, the boat took on some rain water through the hatch above the V-berth, and this did a bit minor damage to the interior - the galley surface is a little warped, etc. The same water problem rusted the inboard engine, and for this reason, the new owners converted to an outboard (Mercury 9.9) Because of these problems, the owner dropped the asking price to just under $2K. In spite of the interior water leak problem, the boat does not smell of mold or mildew, and I am extremely sensitive to these due to allergies. It is clean.

Aside from the above-mentioned interior water damage and a bit of cracking in the gelcoat in the corners of the cabin roof on the inside, we don't see any major problems. There is no crazing or cracks where the rigging attaches to the boat, either on the topside or in the cabin. There is no softness on top, and it doesn't even have the proverbial "Catalina smile" at the keel. There are no indications of any hard grounding on the hull.

Do any of you folks have any advice? My husband and I have pretty much settled on buying this boat. We do not want to pay for an expensive survey, and we know that we will have to put some money into this boat. She looks like a lightly used boat. This will be our first boat, one that we'll learn on and take on day sails on the Chesapeake.

What do ya'll think? (Thank you in advance for any comments.)
Old 04-02-2008, 13:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Do any of you folks have any advice? My husband and I have pretty much settled on buying this boat. We do not want to pay for an expensive survey, and we know that we will have to put some money into this boat. She looks like a lightly used boat. This will be our first boat, one that we'll learn on and take on day sails on the Chesapeake.
For day sailing I don't see a fundamental problem but looking good is not the same as being good. The money you will pay up front isn't much compared to the costs over a few seasons. Bottom paint, slip fees, with insurance are all significant when you consider they may be more than the cost of the boat. You might expect to pay $400 give or take for a survey and the money spent may be money saved. You would have a complete list of items to examine not just what you think you have already found.

You may decide that the boat at that price is not a good price if you consider added unexpected costs. The $400 survey price really won't go very far to fix even minor problems. I would say for peace of mind in knowing what to expect it is worth the price of a survey. Any boat can be repaired but perhaps not as cheap as a different boat. You can't make that choice without a survey.

There really are a lot of boats in this size range priced well right now. I would not let the low initial price make you think the deal is so good you should not evaluate it fully.

It's really impossible for anyone here to render an opinion on the boat given we have never seen it. The description may have cause for concern but I would be more worried about what you may not be able to see and what a trained surveyor would see.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 14:55   #3

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
For day sailing I don't see a fundamental problem...

It's really impossible for anyone here to render an opinion on the boat given we have never seen it. The description may have cause for concern but I would be more worried about what you may not be able to see and what a trained surveyor would see.
Sound advice. You also might ask yourself if you want your first boat to be something you sail or a project your spend weekends repairing.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:03   #4

Hi Paul,

Forgive the delay in answering your response. Thank you for your advice. (Somehow I got two threads going on this topic, for which I apologize.) We bought the Catalina 27 on Saturday, and will be getting her ready over the next two or three months - by which I mean outfitting her with GPS, VHS, new side-lights, etc. Fortunately, the marina is owner-fixer friendly, so we'll be able to sand and paint her, etc. ourselves. The slip fee is paid up to June, which is also very nice....

One of our good friends is a former marine builder/carpender, and he offered to help us in that department, should anything arise. We also have experienced sailing friends who will help teach us "the ropes", but we'll be taking courses, as well.

We are very fortunate in that our two best friends and their spouses are sailors (one couple has a 28' Mariner, and the other an O'Day). We'll be going out mostly together as a little flotilla, which should be a lot of fun.

Let us know if you plan to head down to the Chesapeake!

Fair winds,

Lynn
Old 11-02-2008, 11:58   #5

We bought her!

Well, we did it, folks - we bought the Catalina 27! Thanks again to all of you for the advice and good wishes!

:cubalibre

Fair winds....
Old 11-02-2008, 14:40   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Congratulations!
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 16:13   #7

Boat: Catalina 27
We have really enjoyed ours, I am sure you will too!

Mike
Old 11-02-2008, 17:39   #8

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Way to go man !!
Don't waste alot of time and money getting her perfect. Get her in the water grab a few extra beers and have a good time.
I assume you will sail her in the Chesapeake Bay ?

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 17:58   #9

For $2000 that was a steal. Even if you enjoyed it for one summer you got your moneys worth
hatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 18:07   #10

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
For $2000 that was a steal. Even if you enjoyed it for one summer you got your moneys worth
You got that right !! It will probably be one of the best investments he will make in his life.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 21:32   #11

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Congratulations Henry and Lynn!

Sounds like you bought your boat for a little more money than you would have paid for your almost new main sail.
Keep it simple and light.
Checked out your web site, well done. Let us know if you'll be performing on Long Island this summer, would love to hear some of your nautical/folk music!
Good luck with the boat.
Hugo
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
Way to go man !!
Don't waste alot of time and money getting her perfect. Get her in the water grab a few extra beers and have a good time.
I assume you will sail her in the Chesapeake Bay ?

Paul

Yes, for the next few years at least, we'll sail her primarily on the Chesapeake - perhaps as far as Cape May or Assateague, if we can collect enough vacation time to do so... we have a few years until retirement. If you happen to be in the area, come over for a few beers!
Old 12-02-2008, 05:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
Hatteras, actually we're paying $1800, and that includes the Mercury 9.9 outboard!
Old 12-02-2008, 05:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
Congratulations Henry and Lynn!

Sounds like you bought your boat for a little more money than you would have paid for your almost new main sail.
Keep it simple and light.
Checked out your web site, well done. Let us know if you'll be performing on Long Island this summer, would love to hear some of your nautical/folk music!
Good luck with the boat.
Hugo
Thanks, Hugo! Henry is originally from Long Island. Inishowen will very likely be performing at in Old Sayville at the Long Island Maritime Museum's annual festival (August 23 & 24, 2008). Check our Web site sometime in the next month or so. Once it's confirmed we'll list it on the calendar.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:56   #15

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Sounds good, will check out site next month.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina