Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 17:19   #16

Re: Cat to Mono for a bit more pace, but not to much listing underway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
They are probably motorsailing......(lPalarran, surprised you didn't catch that one )
Like all Cruising Cats.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 18:50   #17
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Hey Peter, I love the effort, but you have to follow the thread. He was talking about a mono.
Old 10-01-2019, 20:11   #18

Thanks all.

Clearly trimming and choosing your comfort level underway is a way to manage an acceptable heel for ones cruising comfort, whilst maybe getting a couple knots quicker than a performance cruising cat.

Its the extreme weather heeling I got tired of, when you get stuck if the 50s and seas are over 7m etc. some love this and will have the boat trimmed to the max and be on an extreme lean in exchange for pace. However getting broadsided by 30 foot waves while traveling in that manner is annoying. some enjoy it. But you are also putting your equipment and sales under extreme load. Where for me I prefer to work with the ocean at a slower pace.

One thing in cats that slows them down is weight. Like the 1060 has 700 litres of water capacity, you travel with that and a water maker its 700kg of extra weight slowing you down in what is quite a quick cat, much like the catana's.

Perhaps I should look at Trimarans, best of both worlds perhaps, but $$$$.

Thanks everyone for the input, very sensible advice.
LuvSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 20:35   #19

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSun View Post
Thanks all.

Clearly trimming and choosing your comfort level underway is a way to manage an acceptable heel for ones cruising comfort, whilst maybe getting a couple knots quicker than a performance cruising cat.

Its the extreme weather heeling I got tired of, when you get stuck if the 50s and seas are over 7m etc. some love this and will have the boat trimmed to the max and be on an extreme lean in exchange for pace. However getting broadsided by 30 foot waves while traveling in that manner is annoying. some enjoy it. But you are also putting your equipment and sales under extreme load. Where for me I prefer to work with the ocean at a slower pace.

One thing in cats that slows them down is weight. Like the 1060 has 700 litres of water capacity, you travel with that and a water maker its 700kg of extra weight slowing you down in what is quite a quick cat, much like the catana's.

Perhaps I should look at Trimarans, best of both worlds perhaps, but $$$$.

Thanks everyone for the input, very sensible advice.
The beauty of a watermaker is you only need carry 200lt + 30kg water maker, just saved 470kgs.
Old 10-01-2019, 23:42   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Hey Peter, I love the effort, but you have to follow the thread. He was talking about a mono.
I did follow the thread and yes "like all cruising cats.

If like my associates, to buy another boat their wives have a lot of control and end up with one those horrible to sail on but nice to live on Cruising Cats and I would swallow the anchor before that.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:00   #21

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Yea, Jim

Nautical terminology.....

Yep, we sail monohulls, and have been for 36 or more years.

For the mono hull, catamaran question.

Monohulls do HEEL over, but much of the heel can be taken out, as well as the weather helm ( boat tending to point up into the wind ) by reefing down ( making the main sail flatter and smaller ).

Also, we roll in the genoa sized jib, down to 110%. Referred to as a "lapper ".
A 100% jib would fill the forward triangle . ( the area between the head ( jib) stay and the mast ). A 110% overlaps that fore triangle ( at the mast ) by 10% .
Hence " lapper " .

When we change the size of the jib down from a 150% Genoa, to a 110%, we also have to move the sheet blocks up forward to maintain some proper shape to the jib, with the tension on the foot of the sail and the leach of the sail equal.

Also, in a good blow 15 mph of wind or more, we will slide the reefed main sail traveler down to leeward, and " fall off a bit from close hauled to a very close reach ).

Sailing in the BVI. Maybe 25 nm miles, with a few tacks up the Sir Francis Drake Channel, , Norman to Leverick Bay, Gorda Sound. May winds : 15 to 22 or so.

Jeanneau 36i, just the the two of us. We Alternate one hr, helm watches,
We are double reefed, with the 110% " lapper" sized jib. The traveler down to leeward a bit, sailing on a close, close reach. That is called " footing off a bit . "

We have No , or very slight weather helm, the mono will be tracking well, and the boat will have a minimum of heel. We are feeling great, hauling okole, making knots, with a bow and stern wave .

We love it !, We are sailing, and enjoying ever minute. I note our position on the paper chart every hour as well as when tacking or changing course . Pos, direction and speed, is noted on the chart, and written in the log. Along with the time, wind speed, point of sail, bilges checked, battery charge, etc.

We are sailors, making good knots toward our destination, even tho we have to tack a few times. Might even get into a bit of a race, with another well sailed monohull, just having more fun added to the over all sailing experience.

Catamarans:

The sea going , super spacious, condo maximals, are motoring, all head full, some times with a main up, snugged up close to the island chain, auto pilot on, and party time . Our liquor locker is secured until we are moored, anchored or in a slip.

They are not heeling over, much more comfortable, lots more room.

The cat people feel more like they are at the St. Regis or Ritz Carlton , than beating to weather and hand steering a monohull while, standing up at the helm, and tacking, which adds in cutting the jib sheet, coming about, and winching it back in to the proper point of sail. And, changing the position of the traveler.

The only cats that I have motored , or sailed off the wind on, were the kauai Island, Napali Coast tour, sea caves close up, snorkel, lunch, and maitai charter boats. We very much enjoyed everyone one of those , many people, charters. Usually about 45 to 50 foot LOA. Great and fun times.

Would we own, or bare boat a Catamaran , swap out the monohull for a cat ?.

Nope, we would not. We love sailing and all that is required and experienced, and that means seamanship . All that is fun and what we crave. For us, it is more than point A to point B at warp speed on auto pilot.

Also, it is just Erica and I, and we can manage the tighter quarters of the 36 mono just fine.

We are comfortable with that. We sleep up in the V .berth, with the hatch open, and can fall asleep looking at the magnificent night sky and constellations and stars. Also, no wave slap against the ama ( hull ) .

Also, we do not have , or need AC, in our berth area, the trades help us to be comfortable, with the over head hatch cracked open. Yes, if a passing shower sweeps over, I do have to reach up , close the hatch, and dog it down, but will open it back up, once the shower has passed.

Moored in paradise :

We have picked up a mooring, set double bridles to the mooring eye, tie off the halyards, to keep them from clanking against the mast. I coil and make up all lines, and secure the wheel to keep it from moving . We run the engine at 1400 to 1500 RPM to charge up the batteries. That is our major fuel use, only 7 to 8 gals, in two weeks.
How much are the fuel bills for a 45 ft catamaran ?

After arrival, Erica , opens up the hatches to keep the main salon and berths cool and pleasant.

She, cranks on the Jimmy Buffet , or steel drum caribbean C.D, and creates our Rum drinks. THE PARTY LIGHT IS NOW LIT.

We are snugged into the cockpit, enjoying the anchorage views and haps.

Back to the Cats :

We look over at the Catamaran's , they have done a nice job picking up their mooring.
The family and friends are lounging all about, in the huge living and relaxing cabin area. Probably called a living room. They are out on the aft deck ( patio ), or up on the tamp, soaking up the rays, or swimming with their noodles around the boat.

Looks like fun to us, lots of room, lots of loved ones and friends, and that is a pretty great way to enjoy the BVI, or any anchorage.

Also, a big plus for the Cat, is the two engines which are a god send when docking side to , in an off the dock wind . Or anytime.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there any chance of us, switching to a Catamaran , should I get too old and creaky, and not be able to safely handle a sailing vessel in all conditions.

Shhhhhhhh ! Keep this on the down lo.

Well, yes, but , it probably would not be a sailing cat. If it has mast, we feel it should be sailing. So, dare I say it ?. " If we were to change to a Catamaran, it would be a small, 38 ft or abouts, POWER CAT ! No mast. More room than a monohull sailing vessel. Besides, most sailing cats we see are motoring and not sailing.

Lordy, I would be a Catamaran / Power Boater ! May the sailing gods forgive me, while Erica is pouring the rum and putting on the music. The happy times are on !

I guess, as to which vessel to chose, that is totally up to what makes you, and your sailing companion feel good. it is your choice , and your boat.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 00:53   #22

Lihuedooley77. What a really thoughtful, great post - thanks for sharing. We've been juggling the cat v mono and the problem is the grass can always seems greener but whilst I like the space and convenience of a cat, more of the time I will prefer the simplicity and lower costs of a mono
Bolshovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:59   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSun View Post
Thanks all.

Clearly trimming and choosing your comfort level underway is a way to manage an acceptable heel for ones cruising comfort, whilst maybe getting a couple knots quicker than a performance cruising cat....
This confuses me. I don't understand how you expect to go quicker than a "performance cruising cat".
I can see where you might expect to be able to pinch up to windward higher than some cats, but going to windward in your mono is definitely going to assume the heeling attitude you are trying to avoid.
Surely on all other points of sailing a performance cruising cat should be quicker yes?
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:29   #24

Just as all monos aren't equal, neither are cat's. A good performance cat with daggerboards will sail well on all points of sail. We often sail past monos who are motorsailing, even to windward.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
what's with all this "leaning" and "listing"? Can't you spell "heel" (not "heal", btw)? This is a sailing forum after all!

Jim
Your mast doesn't lean over when heeled? Is it kind of like the inverse of a canting keel?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote