Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2010, 12:16   #16

How well can a cat ketch claw it's way off a Lee shore in bad weather if one has to leave the anchorage? Assuming one could'nt choose the time of leaving for whatever reason. Does a CK sail wing on wing without excessive rolling? Why did the unstayed mast/rig design not take off after the Freedom boats were introduced to the marketplace?
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 14:01   #17

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Richard,i believe the boat you are thinking of was Tony Lushs Hunter 54 based "Lady Pepperell"
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 14:39   #18

Boat: a sailing boat
I made a longer search once on Freedoms and loved them. My only concern was the hull - stability, resistance to rolling, etc.. Not to say I would not trust but was not sure how a (Freedom's) hull would stand against a typical hull/ballast configuration. (But this is not into this thread).

Still, hull (Freedom specific) issues aside, I bet a well designed and laid out cat ketch will be a dream to sail. Just think (e.g.) you can spill the wind if get caught by a bad squall when running - something impossible with a stayed rig!

And, too my eye, they are very pretty too!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 17:34   #19

Boat: freedom 35
Anything about sailing you want to know-I'm here for you. Been my profession for over 40 years.
23actearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 14:22   #20

Re: Cat Rigged Ketch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23actearly View Post
Anything about sailing you want to know-I'm here for you. Been my profession for over 40 years.
thank you for the generous invitation. I am very actively looking for a bluewater seaworthy boat that is also liveaboard capable.
I intend to sail her down to the Caribbean where I will cruise the Caribbean and possibly the Bahamas for a while before I muster the courage and confidence to sail to Micronesia in the South Pacific.
I have looked at several designs ranging from a Com-Pac 27 to a Hunter 35. However, I do not believe Com-Pac and Hunter are seaworthy vessels.
I also looked at older boats such as Cal, Endeavor, Irwin, and others.
Most of the older boats are reputed to be seaworthy but probably because of age, the condition of the cabin was less than something you would want to show to your wife -- not that I have a wife but I think you know what I mean.
Now, a broker has contacted me with the opportunity to look at a Freedom 28 Cat Ketch and I am trying to find reviews, articles and information about the boat regarding seaworthiness, construction quality, etc.
Does anyone have any firsthand experience with a full keel Cat Ketch 28?
What is your opinion?
Notpopeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch