Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2018, 10:46   #16

Re: Cat ketch built along the lines of the Garry Hoyt 'Freedom 40'

Total 50K$ +

Rescue article mentions a cracked mast.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 19:34   #17

I believe but am not sure that he is saying the total investment in the boat after just engine and sails will be $50k but let's not forget electronics, wiring and all the other stuff that will pop up. This boat has sat a long time so we all know many things that pass on a marine survey just fall apart under stress. I bought a beautiful 60' Ketch up in Seattle a couple years ago that had been sitting for 12 years because the owner just couldn't part with it but Ill health finally forced him to offload it. I got the boat and it took me 3 months of maintenance, drydocks and shakedown cruises to get her up to Alaska. I was broke when I finally got her up there! So, I now go into these situations with my eyes wide open and understand that these good deals can get out of hand quickly. Remember this was in America where parts and help were readily available which is not the case in Asia. You break down away from the dock or within close proximity to a cruising area you are just plain in trouble.
Liberty Risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 19:37   #18

Didn't another post mention the masts were sound and the boom broke during the adventure at sea. Those poor sailors adrift at sea trying to get this boat to Phuket for maintenance and new sails.
Old 26-03-2018, 19:47   #19

Nor. Can I ask how you know the masts are ok and do you know anything else about this boat? Thanks!
Old 26-03-2018, 21:15   #20
Nor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Risk View Post
Nor. Can I ask how you know the masts are ok and do you know anything else about this boat? Thanks!
Hi, just what I heard from the broker, that the masts are ok. Might not be accurate..?
Nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 21:24   #21

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Unsubscribed.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 23:26   #22

Thank you Nor.
Old 16-11-2019, 17:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
You are likely referring to this boat:
Rehnert Cat Ketch for sale in Langkawi-Malaysia

What is it about an amateur-designed boat that you find most attractive, besides the price?
I did consider looking at that boat, as it is a bit unique. But as you stated, with amateur construction, it becomes nearly impossible to determine much about the boat. Especially for a noob.
Marvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 17:55   #24

I actually went and looked at the boat last year since I live in the Philippines but there are way too many unknowns about her. You have graphite masts that are 31 years old and cost $25,000 to replace just one, an engine with 8k hours and no convenient place to get parts and it hasn't run in years, no sails and a quote out of Zoom Sails in Sri Lanka is right around $5,000 for two sails. This boat has been sitting since on the hard since around 2005 or about the time when the tsunami hit Asia. Then it was bought in the mid teens for a very high price and the current owner tried to take her to Phuket for sails and to work done on her and because of poor decisions was adrift for a week before getting rescued. I was told after that happened the owner said forget it and went back to Canada, I feel for the guy. Now, I was told the steering cable has broken, batteries are dead and it's been anchored out for a few years and it will be very difficult to get her to a yard. Even at the new low price of $15,000 it's still too expensive.
Old 16-11-2019, 19:05   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Having owned a cat-ketch with rotating masts I can say the system is problematic. While reefing by rotating the masts is a neat concept the more force there is on the mast due to wind the more they tend to bind making reefing difficult when you most need it. I think just pulling the sail up with a track or sleeving the sail combined with the lazyjack system that Nonsuch uses is the way to go. Otherwise I think it's a great rig.
Thanks for that. The coffin is nailed shut. So much information comes up so fast here
Old 16-11-2019, 19:35   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Risk View Post
I actually went and looked at the boat last year since I live in the Philippines but there are way too many unknowns about her. You have graphite masts that are 31 years old and cost $25,000 to replace just one, an engine with 8k hours and no convenient place to get parts and it hasn't run in years, no sails and a quote out of Zoom Sails in Sri Lanka is right around $5,000 for two sails. This boat has been sitting since on the hard since around 2005 or about the time when the tsunami hit Asia. Then it was bought in the mid teens for a very high price and the current owner tried to take her to Phuket for sails and to work done on her and because of poor decisions was adrift for a week before getting rescued. I was told after that happened the owner said forget it and went back to Canada, I feel for the guy. Now, I was told the steering cable has broken, batteries are dead and it's been anchored out for a few years and it will be very difficult to get her to a yard. Even at the new low price of $15,000 it's still too expensive.
Wow. That's crazy. Good to know. On to some of the others

Tags
ketch