Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2009, 21:34   #1

Boat: not much yet
Cat Ketch?

I saw a boat today that I will describe as best I can. We sailed by each other and exchanged greetings, but I did not look that close until later from quite a distance after watching the boat work.
I would guess it a little over 20 foot, lapstrake double ended lifeboat type hull with two masts and two small sprit rigged sails. The helm was behind the rear mast. I believe they were free standing masts also. Wish I had looked closer, but new lake and good wind had my attention elsewhere.
Anyway, the guy was pretty much running straight back and forth on a beam like he was trying to adjust something to his liking, or maybe he was just enjoying the way the boat was working.
It had two small Sunfish size or smaller Sprit type sails on two masts of what looked to be the same height and it is hard to describe how well it was working. Smooth, sure, and comfortable was the impression from watching. I would not have guessed that little sail would push that big of a boat that well. The boat just moved on like motor launch might with no fuss, no leaning, no bounce or bad manners.
Pretty nice boat and it would be easy to close your eyes and see the front tarped carrying freight or with benches and passenger seating taking well dressed passengers out to a three masted Schooner or other big ship!
I just got done reading up on the description of the rig and how well it handles.
What are the hands on experiences of the people here with these kinds of boats? Does anyone here sail a Cat Ketch?
Is the system, two easily handled and replaced sails on unstayed masts with tiller only needed for tacking worth whatever the trade offs might be?
I seem to always pick the working boat types as the ones I really like!
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 18:34   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Try looking up "Drascombe." They are a designer of little cat ketches like that and it might be a knockoff. What I think would be the answer to your last question is yes. Very easy to sail. No tacking a jib.
Regards

Tags
ketch