Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2015, 12:42   #61

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: Cast a vote on three boats

The boat you choose has to fit your needs not someone else's, everyone has an opinion based on their own experience. I've owned one of the heavyweight cruiser cult boats mentioned here and although well built and conservatively designed just wasn't my cup of tea, I like a stout boat that still performs. You don't have to have a slow, ultra heavy boat to cruise seriously, that's just one way to do it, and if that's your comfort level then more power to you, enjoy it. Skeg hung rudders are safer in the case of a strike but a properly designed spade should do fine, unless of course it's under designed, which seems to be the case in some boats.
There's been a move toward performance cruising boats over the years and many well made, well built boats that still have a turn of speed have been proven to be quite good at it.
Some of the earlier C&C designs would be considered in this category compared to today's designs. I loved the sailing characteristics of my old C&C but needed more space for a bigger family now and so I changed to a different boat built more like an earlier performance cruiser. I will agree the C&C had a more traditional interior layout which would be considered tight by today's standards but was perfect for a couple cruising, the addition of two kids changed that for me. These days it would be considered a moderate displacement boat compared to modern offerings in that design class.
It all depends on where your going and what your needs are, so go with your gut and buy what suits you. The opinions stated here, including mine, may not reflect your personal needs so feel free to take it with a grain of salt. Dang, one guy sailed around the world in a Catalina 27, so when I head out to sea in my 47', 40,000 lb boat and start to feel a little stressed I remind myself of that guy and I suddenly don't feel so challenged. Of course I've inspected and serviced every inch of that boat myself so I know theres nothing amiss in the mechanicals but still.......A 37/40XL not seaworthy? I don't think so.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 19:07   #62

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Cast a vote on three boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Theoretically speaking, much of this is true, but... if the space isn't laid out ergonomically in terms of;
- ease, & efficiency of use (at sea, in port, & at anchor)
- practicality, layout & feature wise (ditto on the when/where bit as above)
- ease of upkeep in general, plus system accessibility for maint. & or upgrades
- real world comfort of the spaces aboard, under any & all conditions & circumstances

For example, a bridgedeck need only be high enough to keep out all but the most ominous of projected waves to be encountered. If it's far higher, thus making the crew go through a lot more gyrations & acrobatics (while heavily clad in oilskins, warm layers, & safety gear). Then said feature, on balance, may be a liability. From the standpoint of having the crew perched on said deck features, & companionway ladders in the midst of both severe (and non heinous) weather. Such that it overly tires them out, impairing their judgment for this task, & other critical ones, like navigating, & analyzing the weather etc. Then on balance, I'd say that said design feature would be more of a liability than a benefit. Especially if climbing over it/using it, puts them more in harms way, or say, increases the wrist for turning/spraining an ankle, or getting pitched to the end of their tether due to being awkwardly positioned.

Also, is there a good seat (which is easy to brace into, especially while donning or doffing foulies) near the base of the companionway where folks can suit up for the weather & vice versa? Does it include (an easily maintainable) grating for water drainage off of said gear? And is there a genuine drying locker within arms reach, in which to stow this gear. Again, is it also a space which is easy to take care of the upkeep on?
If not, then this piece of real estate on the vessel, could be a negative one.

Such are just examples as to some of the kinds of question which need asking, concerning space & features on a cruising boat. Bigger, for certain, isn't necessarily better. It can easily be the opposite.
Usually the best way to solve problems onboard is via thinking, not so much necessarily by adding features (or size) which will cost more in terms of $, & labor... to build, & to keep in good, well maintained condition.
In this example, think of the "bridge decks" on some of the older Nautor-Swans, where, in truth, you had to climb fully onto the cabin top, through a sliding deck hatch. Some "protected" on either side by Granny Bars, others not. And then descend a 7' ladder, with VERY little horizontal offset. So, yes, it was truly a ladder.

If you were at all lacking in upper body strength (read, not an in shape muscular guy), they were a BEAST. Especially in any kind of sea way/cross sea. As there was naught in terms of side guards on the ladders to assist you in staying on them, while ascending or descending.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote