Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2003, 04:26   #1

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Cascade 36

Any opinions,or experience out there on the Cascade 36? I'm some what interested in this boat as a coastal/blue water cruiser. Thanks!
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2003, 16:32   #2

well built, stout boats, many circumnavigators,

Owners generally love thier Cascades...Many were sold in kit form with various owners completing some or all of the rigging and interior.Facotry boats were well built,individuals obviously vary alot...Cascade still builts boats (sail and power)in Portland Oregon and you can probably find out more about your particular boat by contacting them with the hull number...They sell for around 30,000 used,though some are much higher in cpoats and one needing a refit can sometimes be bought for as little as 18K...

Here is the factory website...

http://www.cascadeyachts.com/

goodluck
days of sparkling waters, nights of falling stars

I've got seashells, I've got souvenirs, I've got songs I've penned
I've got phographs, I've got memories, but mostly I've got friends

See the Faithful...
www.geocities.com/bradleybarrett
bradbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2003, 17:35   #3

Hi Brad, and all,

Thanks for the info.on the Cascade 36. I don't own one at present, but the boat has entered in the running for a boat worthy of considering purchasing. I'm not in a hurry to buy, but I'm looking for a cruiser in the 35-38 foot range that I'll use for a coastal/bluewater boat. I've read where several people have done circumnavigations with them. The construction of the boat is hand laid up fiberglass....the same as the 26 footer I have now.When the dealer of my present boat demonstrated the sturdiness of the boat, he jumped up and down on the bow and you couldn't see the deck flex at all. The boats very strong and has taken me through some hellacious weather. Anyway, I get the feeling the Cascade 36 footers are like that. On the down side,they're a little narrow. There displacement is fairly light, but I've read nothing but positive comments about them. That is, the boats that were finished out factory finish. As you said, some owners that did their own interiors left a lot to be desired. I will be checking out the Cascade website and will continue to investigate this boat. Thanks again!
Old 25-09-2003, 15:30   #4

Thumbs up Mr. Stede, Sir !

Just NOW caught this thread ! You might be interested in a book by Jim Moore called " By way of the wind". It's a book about two people who built a Cascade 36 and sailed it around the world. Should be informative in making your decision. By the way, one of the guys on the 29 Cascade board sailed his 29 12000 miles and sold it in Hong Kong, I believe. If the stories I have read on the 29 are any indication, the 36 would meet your requirements handsomely.
Course, I'm a bit BIASED
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2003, 18:07   #5

Hi 29cascadefixer and all,

Thanks for the info.about the book. I will definately be looking to get it. The Cascade 36 is high in the running for the perfect boat for me. There have been several that have done circumnavigations. I saw there was one for sell I believe in St.Pete on Yachtworld in the mid-fifties that I really liked. That's more than I have now, but I'm getting closer.The boat looked like it was already set up for blue water cruising.It's my understanding that some of the boats were finished out by the owners, and others were done by the factory. I think the hull and deck of the boat is hand laid up fiberglass,but I'm not positive.There was also one in the high 20's on Yachtworld. It needed a lot of upgrades,and I don't won't to spend a lot of time doing that when I do buy.When I go, I will go. There won't be a lot of time spent upgrading.What I really want to do is sail my 26 footer back over to the Abacos and kick around there for awhile. Then on down to the Exumas. After that, I would like to trailer the boat over to the West coast, sail her on San Fran Bay,then maybe take her down to Mexico. At that time, it will be decision time. I'll either go back home with her,or I'll sell her and find a blue water boat on the West coast.It would be great if I could find a nice Cascade 36 there. My intention will be to head to Hawaii from there, and then, who knows? Ahhh, it's so nice to dream,isn't it.So far, I've accomplished the things I've set out to do. Some of my methods have been a little poor, but as a good friend of mine used to say "Poor folks,have poor ways." I know I'll make it all work some how. Sorry, didn't mean to run off on a tangent here....just thinking out loud I guess.Thanks again!
Old 18-11-2009, 09:39   #6

Boat: Cascade 36
Cascade 36

I just bought a Cascade 36 this spring and I have to say that it has exceeded all of my expectations. Mine is one of the better-finished interiors I have seen, and the 'narrow' width of the boat is NOT a problem, unless you really are stuck on having pilot berths. Even then, I have seen pipe berths installed and I know one person who has set the boat up to 'sleep' 8!!! Sacrificed galley and lazarette space, but there is TONS of lazarette space at the start. She is a great sailing boat, strong, practical, well built. As an offshore sailer, you can't go wrong with a Cascade.
Mariellec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 11:14   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Unfortunately Cascade in Portland is no longer in business. The old fellow, Hans, that I used to deal with left the company several years ago and it sold and now I believe they want to start again on the Oregon coast.
There is another member here who has more information. I think he has a 36.
regards,
Old 18-11-2009, 13:51   #8

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilot House "Spartan"
The Ubiquitous Cascade 27,29,36,42

Yacht Construstors Inc., builder of the Cascades is now history, but what a glorious history it was.

Back in the late 50s or early 60s several menbers of Rose City Yacht Club, in Portland Or, over a few brews were lamenting the high cost of intery into the world of sail boat raceing. The new idea of building boats of fiberglass reinforced plastic was in its infancy. Thus was born the idea of FRP sail boats that could be bought in any stage of completion. Yacht Constructors became one of the first to use the new technology.

I doubt there is a port and very few anchorages in the world that hasn't been visited by a Cascade. Wade Cornwall one of the original partners, I hope, is still a member of RCYC, and there are still quite a number of Cascades floating in their slips there on the Mighty Columbia.

Hgladman, Former owner of "Dollop" Cascade 29
hglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 22:23   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon
Re: Cascade 36

I to am considering purchasing a cascade 36. One of them won oregon offshore last year, and another one one pac cup double handed in 2008. I know the sailors personally that sailed in both these events.

Thinking it would be a good boat to do some cruising and racing in.
MC2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 16:05   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Based on the website linked to earlier in this thread they are still in business.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 13:06   #11

Boat: Casacde 36

A great two person cruiser. You are right, they are a little narrow, but they sail really well, and you can maneuver around the anchorage, with just the main, sailing it just like a dinghy.
Mine steers well with a monitor vane, but pay attention to sail trim. Reef early and keep it on its feet, it'll lay over at about 15 degrees and make little leeway.
I installed a Dickinson, Alaska heater and it is more than adequate for our Pacific NW winters too.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 14:32   #12

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

I have a 1974 42' Cascade. I am third owner, I bought it as an unfinished project.They are very well built hulls. Later boats had a factory deck/cabin top, Molded head liner, Vee berth insert and poly water and holding tanks.
#1 thing to CHECK on is the shear clamp.Two Summers ago I had to cut back my decks a foot all the way around the boat and re laminate in 290 lineal feet of Mahogany shear clamp. I removed the the teak bulwarks and got lucky and found the Cascade Aluminum toe rail.
When I bought it I trucked it from a driveway in the Seattle area back to Portland. Redid the interior in maple,Built lots of stainless hardware for it. I do like projects and have a large machine shop and huge cabinet/ wood-shop to use any time I want.
The big difference you will find in them is how thet were finished.
Every Summer I leave for 4 - 8 weeks on the boat.
Maria Victoria has a facebook page with lots of pictures also there is a cascade facebook page.
If you are in Portland,OR and would like to see it or go sailing let me know.
A very close friend of mine a has a 36' Cascade in the slip next to me.
Tim
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote