Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2015, 19:22   #1

Boat: Cascade 29
Cascade 29 Chainplates

I am a new member to this form, but I have to admit, I have come here to brows various topics for years. I am hoping that someone out there will have some information regarding the chainplates on a Cascade 29 built in 1968. I am wondering how these were originally incorporated into the hull and if there is a way to inspect them? It does not look like there is a way to me, but thought someone might have more information. I will likely be replacing them with external chainplates in the near future, but if I was somehow able to inspect them well, might reconsider, or at least delay this project. I have attached a picture for reference. Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chainplates.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	110222  
Kirkos34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 19:38   #2

Boat: Cascade 36
Re: Cascade 29 Chainplates

I've got a Cascade 36 that was built in 1972 or 1975. I can definitely tell you that my chainplates do not look like those at all. Mine are basically stainless bar that come out from the deck a few inches before attaching to the turnbuckles.

Of course I haven't exactly studied other Cascades and I don't really know what is standard. I just know (for the most part) what I have.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 19:52   #3

Thank you for the reply, Yeti. I read on a blog somewhere about replacing the chainplates on a Cascade 42, and they were through the deck but visibly attached to the hull on the inside. The guy mentioned that he thought some of the smaller Cascades had chainplates that were built into the fiberglass when the boat was originally built, which is basically what mine look like. This is very unfortunate, but I will figure something out I am sure!
Old 29-09-2015, 23:14   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Many if not all Cascades were offered in most any state of completion from a bare hull up. This means that someone could buy a hull and deck and "design" their own chain plates.

In any case I'll print out the photo you attached and ask Hans or Wade if they know about those chain plates. I see them about once a month or so.

Regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 22:43   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Kirkos,

I got an answer for you from Hans. I'm not sure you can get better info than this. Perhaps from Wade (who is 101 and still drives by the way).

Regards!

Here is what Hans has to say:

In early or later C29 the chain plates were glassed into the hull. The plates are like upside "T" with barbs welded on. The plates are impossible to pull out. I have never heard of damaged, broken or pulled out plates with C29s. It is not possible to inspect the chain plates. Corrosion maybe possible due to lack of oxigen, Many Marine surveyers recommend replacing them with outside mounted plates (SS) 8ea. They should be dimentioned at least 3/16" thick and about 1.25" wide. Four button type machine screw to be 5/16" dia (fine thread) with a backing plate inside and hex nuts applied with thread lock. Match the hole dia on the top to accept the turnbuckle toggle.

Good luck,

Hans Geerling, past owner of CYI
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 21:00   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Visually inspect them. If they've been there for for 47 years with no problems chances are they'll last a little longer. If you are headed to blue water install external plates along with all the other maintenance/modifications necessary to make this classic plastic reliable at sea.
Orion Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 14:23   #7

EVM1024 - Thank you so much! I should have mentioned that the reason I even brought this up, is because there is one very scary chainplate bolt replacement that was done prior to me purchasing this boat. I knew going into the purchase that this would need to be addressed ASAP. One of the shroud bolts was replaced with a non-marine grade material that I suspect was picked up at Lowe's, right down the street... Why anyone would think this is a good idea, I cannot tell you.

My plan was to use an unused aft chainplate bolt (both aft chainplates were replaced with external's previously) to replace this rusting shroud bolt. I removed one of the original aft bolts, and it looked remarkably clean without any indication of rust. Remarkable considering it is probably 47+ years old. However, my plan was shot down when I broke the rusting shroud bolt about three inches into the side of the hull.

I decided the best course of action is to replace altogether with an external plate. I should be picking up from a local machine shop later today. I will replace this one for now, and will likely replace the other five early next year. It will look weird with only one being external, but they should all eventually match and be "good as new."

After seeing the rear bolt in such good condition, I think the original chainplates themselves are probably fine, but I just don't like the idea of them being so old and me not being able to inspect them... I am very thankful for you sending Hans' information along. I went with his recommendations in regards to the size of replacement external chainplate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Bolt.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	110523