Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2011, 05:22   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
Carter 30 Info ?

Hi guys (and gals)!

I've sold my old 23ft boat, and am now on the look for something a bit more seaworthy. I am gonna be looking at a Carter 30 this weekend, taking her out for a spin, and I know next to nothing about the boat type. I've heard that some have been extensively cruised, crossing oceans and even doing some circumnavigations, but that's about it.

The boat is from 1988 and has a relatively fresh Nanni Kubota engine, from 1999. I don't know where the boat was built, apparently Carter 30 was built all over the place.

Do any of you have anything good / bad to say about the boat? Any weak points I might have to look out for?
Asmodeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 06:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Carter 30 info?

Richard Carter was (died 2007) a respected yacht designer.
See CARTER 30 sailboat on sailboatdata.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 12:00   #3

Re: Carter 30 Info ?

Definitely she's a good boat. They are quite popular here in Poland, crossing Baltic Sea and North Sea at yearly basis. Recently two people from my Yacht Club just sailed across Atlantic singlehanded (back and forth) on one of them.

In my opinion it's a little outdated in terms of space and design, but they are sailing quite good from my 4 trips on this boat average cruising speed is about 3.5-4.0 kn.

As a anecdote.
Few years ago one of the Carters 30 was abandoned by a crew in a gale near the coast of Sweden.
Crew claimed that the boat started to sink and it was no longer safe to stay on board, they ware taken by SAR and left the boat on the open sea.

A few days later this particular boat was found by Coast Guard... sailing in a good condition but without a crew of course.
So she's was quite seaworthy, she was sailing by herself especially when the crew was not disturbing her.

Mike
euros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:24   #4

Boat: Trident Voyager 35

Hi

I owned one for seven years living aboard. They are good sailing boats and are quite capable of going anywhere. They actually have quite good stowage space for their size and the layout works very well at sea although the fore cabin bunks are a litle on the short side if youare over 6ft tall. They stand up to their sail well and can point high too. The keel is fixed onto a moulded stub.

All in all I liked her a lot especilly in bad weather when she looked after me very well.

J
Trident voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 17:59   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

A Polish couple sailed RTW in a modified one. Some of them were built there under the name Conrad, in Joseph Conrad boatyard (no longer in business).

I have been onboard of two and they seemed OK, at the dock. A friend sails one - coastal sailing from N Europe to Med and back. He says good things about the boat too.

What I do not like about them is they seem very much based on an (?) IOR racer hull - may become a handfull in heavy going downwind (?). My guess, not something I experienced.

They have nice, small cockpit and the interior looks pretty seagoing too.

If you buy one keep eye on the keel to hull joint as I know some of them had issues there - probably too little glass used in the keel-ward portions of the hull. (As said they came from various boatyards though, maybe it is a boatyar, not design issue).

There are also bigger Carters.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 13:17   #6

Boat: Trident Voyager 35

hi
Yes its a good idea to look at the after end of the keel joint, and yes they are IOR designed but the do go down wind ok in a breeze (did the needles channel in wind against tide F5 gusting 6) she took a green one into the cockpit,, which is small and it didn't faze her one bit. She kept on going straight even with the cockpit full of water. it did not affect her balance and no where near a broach which might have been possible if she had a modern wide stern and a large cockpit. J
Trident voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 16:01   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident voyager View Post
hi
(...) no where near a broach which might have been possible if she had a modern wide stern and a large cockpit. J
Hi,

The wide stern and large cockpit sails faster and is normally NOT pooped. Then the cruising ones (read slow ones) tend to have the cockpit floor very, very high up and open aft - any water that gets in gets twice as fast out.

All non-planning boats will broach if overpowered - design of the stern / cockpit does not influence this. What I believe is that the IOR hull once heeled becomes very asymmetrical and this does not help the driver to keep the boat under her rig. I might be wrong as I am a post-IOR generation. I have sailed some IORs though.

Smaller cockpit with HUGE drains saves the day on older design. The alternative is cockpits as one can see in e.g. Bristol Channel boats - but then you have no backrest, and your under is wet in any reasonable seas - safe and seaworthy but completely impractical.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote