Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-10-2009, 14:38   #31

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker
Talking

But if for some reason you still want to restore a boat to it's former magnificence, here's my nomination. Come on, don't sell yourself short! You can doo eet!

SAILING CRUISING SHIP. BUILT FOR ANY OCEAN, THE WORLD, :eBay Motors (item 110447688629 end time Oct-26-09 11:27:57 PDT)

Old 21-10-2009, 17:25   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzo View Post
But if for some reason you still want to restore a boat to it's former magnificence, here's my nomination. Come on, don't sell yourself short! You can doo eet!

SAILING CRUISING SHIP. BUILT FOR ANY OCEAN, THE WORLD, :eBay Motors (item 110447688629 end time Oct-26-09 11:27:57 PDT)
LOL! Thats called a "barrier reef rebuild kit". Sink it and have the sealife reclaim it.

Old 21-10-2009, 18:47   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzo View Post

I love those pics that make it appear that they are growing the next mast in the boat.
Old 22-10-2009, 08:16   #34

Boat: pilot cutter
I can't compare boat restoration to car restoration since I haven't ever technically 'restored' an old vehicle. But I have worked on them. And the similarity would be attempting to restore an obscure foreign vehicle with difficult to impossible to find parts that are prohibitively expensive when you are fortunate enough to finally locate something that works.

I can however, directly compare it to the construction and/or restoration of terra firma-based structures such as homes and commercial buildings, and boats are at least 100 times more difficult to work on. What makes it so is similar to the above...specialized parts, specialized materials, specialized fabrications, and specialized suppliers, all of which charge handsomely for their specialization. Combine that with the difficulties inherent with working on a structure that must be waterproof both below and above, yet have adequate ventilation to prevent condensation and remove moisture from within, and you've dreamed up the recipe that construction nightmares are made of, not to mention that the work must usually be performed while standing on your head or with one arm tied behind your back...and that is putting it mildly. And lastly, the specialized knowledge required to accomplish each task literally means that fully 50% of the time spent in restoration is research on how, where, when, and why the task must be performed, and the proper steps to do it in and the proper materials specifically required to complete the task.

Boats are certainly a challenge, and that is why you can literally hit a 'project' boat with every tossed cat.

It would appear that the key to successful boat restoration is picking out a 'project' that won't sink you financially, physically, and mentally....and sticking with it. Which is probably why the successful restorer lets the boat find them.
Old 24-10-2009, 07:09   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
... boats are at least 100 times more difficult to work on. What makes it so is similar to the above...specialized parts, specialized materials, specialized fabrications, and specialized suppliers ...
... Boats are certainly a challenge, and that is why you can literally hit a 'project' boat with every tossed cat...
Not to mention that, nothing on a boat is plumb, level, or square ... nor the same as "the last/other one".

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restoration

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: