Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 08:26   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS - 50ft
Cape May to New York Harbor w N winds

I'm in Annapolis now waiting for my experienced water sailing">blue water sailing friend to help me take my 41 Hunter to Long Island Sound. He has made the trip a couple of times before and I have not. We are scheduled to leave this Saturday, take the canal and then back down to Cape May where we plan to launch the overnight trip to NY Harbor timed so we get there in the daylight. My last check on weather underground for Cape May shows north winds as high as 9 knots for a few days starting next Monday. I understand that this is no ideal. I would appreciate advice from members who have done this before around this time of year. Go? No go?
DeaconBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:59   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Cape May to New York Harbor w N winds

The forecast that far out is just a swag and could be completely different in a few days, however, if it stays as forecast or similar you will have N and NNE winds for several days. Not a great time to go, IMO. Motoring directly into the wind with fairly cool temps. will not make for a fun trip, for sure.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:18   #3

"... winds as high as 9 knots..."

Surely you jest. That would be delightful for a slow sail or a nice motorsail. Are you going to NYC or east end of LI? Big difference.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:24   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Thats not 9 knots.

Thats hell on earth.

NO GO! But keep your eye on it in case it changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	81053  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:30   #5

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I'm making the same trip at the beginning of June. I have done it before at the beginning of May , it was cold but good wind luckily from the right direction . Make sure to go out far enough to stay of the shoals, they reach out a long way . Don't forget about all the barges and fish nets , keep a sharp eye, it's a busy coast line.

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:38   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS - 50ft

Going to NYC through the gate ending up at Huntington Harbor on the sound. The wind speed isn't as big of a concern as the direction and what that might do regarding the size of the waves. I'm a cautious novice and don't want to go out until I'm certain the risk is minimal.
DeaconBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 14:19   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Yep, it would be a nice sail if the wind were going the right way. I don't think there is much danger in that forecast other than hypothermia if not dressed properly. But it will be motoring directly into the wind and waves the whole distance. Unless of course the forecast changes.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 17:03   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I've never sailed in that area, so could you explain why he would have to motor the whole way with 9 knot headwinds? That seems like decent sailing conditions to me, even to windward.

What am I missing?

Jim
Old 12-05-2014, 17:23   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44

As said earlier get way off with that wind. I did it one year and the wind came around out of the north off barnegat. Very short unpleasant sea kicks up and can give you mixing hours of water over the decks snd a slow slog of it. Hard to work further out in that kind of sea. I would hang until you have a good forecast. And stay out further then you would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 17:34   #10

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Cape May to New York Harbor w N winds

Suggest you take a look at the Sailflow forecast. Winds Friday night are 30k plus and will be very strong on Saturday morning as a frontal passage moves through. Late Saturday, forecast is for light winds. This is still several days out and front could pass earlier or later. If you don't know about Sailflow, I suggest you get a free trial and look at the forecast wind maps for the area for this coming weekend. It looks nasty to me, but I have no knowledge of that area at all. If you throw in cold air, it could be not only nasty, but dangerous.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 17:45   #11

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

9 knots wouldn't upset me, but you can't rely today on a forecast for next Monday. I did this trip last May, first week of May. We took our boat from Edgewater, MD to Rhode Island via NYC and Long Island Sound. It was chilly, but we had a blast. We did not go overnight; we went from Cape May to Atlantic City, next day AC to Sandy Hook, next day through NYC at 6 am, made it to Branford CT by 1 pm. The AC to Sandy Hook leg was very pleasant; the winds were very light, seas minimal, and we motored the entire way. The weather deteriorated as we approached Branford and we ducked into a marina there, and sat there the next day (Mother's Day last year) waiting for better conditions. Even so, that Monday I saw the biggest waves I have ever witnessed on LI Sound, and I grew up sailing there.

Jim Cate, this is a delivery trip, not a "sailing" trip; it's a straight north run to NYC. The New Jersey coast is to the west, and if the wind is on the nose, you motor. The currents through the East River run as high as 5 knots, so you must reach NY Harbor to time the currents properly. You absolutely fly past Manhattan. I waited until 34th Street to call my sister who lives on 78th Street to come wave to us. She just missed us and saw the other sailboat a bit behind us. I should have called her at the Brooklyn Bridge!
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 19:52   #12

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Where are you going in NY? Timing the tide is important if you are going very far into the harbor. Be careful of responding to schedule pressure. Go when it makes sense weather wise instead of when it fits somebody's schedule.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, new york