Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-03-2013, 09:57   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Cape George Sailboats

The CG boats are beautiful , heavy and very rugged with long waterlines. I have wondered about how they will age though; I think many have wood deck structures.... essentially a wood shelf around the top edge of the hull and a wooden boat type build up attached to that. Fiberglass over the wood. Any leakage into that shelf or elsewhere could be pretty catastrophic cost wise. (have I got this correct?) Making this worse is the issue that many of them were home finished...... not sure if the newer ones are like the above or not though.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 15:44   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Just a couple of months ago, I went aboard this Cape George. She was beautiful! But I have never sailed one, so I can't comment on that.

Old 22-03-2013, 21:06   #18

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTang View Post
Wow thanks for all the input. They sound like the perfect boat for my family and I. There is a 40 for sale with fiberglass decks that looks sweet. It has a pilothouse which is appealing to me but it looks tough to get a bimini on because the mast is so low. Sun protection is a necessity down here in the Caribbean. Are there other options to biminis for masts which come down low?

This is the boat I am am interested in:
1980 Cape George 40 Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
The Sabb is a very solid engine, but they tended to put smaller engines in them than needed. My 36' had an 18 hp, but seemed to perform like it was 25 or so but was still too small. Find out what this one is and just be advised that if it isn't 40+, you'll be under powered. No big deal, but depending on how you would use her it could be annoying. This also is clearly an owner finished vessel. I would certainly have a thorough survey done with special attention paid to sounding for voids or punky wood. In the yard, they used Brunzeel plywood, but if an owner wants to save money, they may have used something that would suck up moisture like a sponge. Look closely around dorade vents, etc. because that is where rot will show up first.

The 40' is a solid boat that can go anywhere.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 23:33   #19

Boat: Caliber 40

I have two sets of friends that have owned three Cape George boats and have made many oceanic passages in them with great success.

One couple - Poulsbo, WA to Mexico and on to Australia - loved every minute of it - CG36

Another couple - Puget Sound to Mexico - Hawaii - Alaska - Puget Sound - several times in a CG ?? bigger than an 40'

Same couple - Puget Sound to Mexico - Galapgos - New Zealand - Australia in CG31

Same couple - Puget Sound to Mexico - Mexico in CG 36

I never heard a bad thing about any of their boats

I also spent a lot of time working with Cecil Lange (Builder of most Cape Georges) while in La Paz, Mexico - he sure knows sailboats, how to design, build, and maintain them. He did a bit of work on my boat and I was very impressed with his knowledge and experience.
Old 25-03-2013, 12:51   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I have a William Atkin designed boat Atkin & Co. - Captain Cicero and had thought to myself if I could afford to have a boat built I would keep the same lines and rig. The boat is fast, easily handled and makes an extremely good "sea boat". It turns out that William Atkin kept basically the same lines and with Ed Monk made a few tweaks to come up with the Cape George 36'......6' make a biggg difference, I live in the town where the Cape George was built, it has a fiberglass hull, but deck, superstructure (and in some cases spars) were wood.
My boat (which has been rerigged as a cutter:

Cape George 36:
Old 25-03-2013, 12:57   #21
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

nice!
Old 25-03-2013, 16:02   #22

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I've been looking at Cape George boats between 36 and 40' if I was to go bigger. Out of curiosity, I decided to look at what's on Yacht World and found this nice 38' in Canada. Looks like a really nice boat.

1991 Cape George 38 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 17:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I've been looking at Cape George boats between 36 and 40' if I was to go bigger. Out of curiosity, I decided to look at what's on Yacht World and found this nice 38' in Canada. Looks like a really nice boat.

1991 Cape George 38 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Not sure why, but the 39 is not quite the sailor that the 36 or 31 is, but they are still great. This looks like a very nice one, clearly yard finished. There are a lot of CGs out there that were finished by owners to some odd standards, but this one looks like the real deal.
Old 25-03-2013, 18:50   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Hello MTang,

I own hull #30 of the CG 31s. If your style of boat is a full-keel boat with adequate displacement, then these boats are a good example of that style done right. There are many boats that have done the full-keel/displacement thing horribly wrong, and turned many people off to it. Likewise with fin-keel/spade rudder boats: there must be some that have been done right, but since they're not really my bag, I haven't paid attention. One major difference between the two designs is that a fin-keeler is a lot more sensitive to overloading than a full-keeler. In order to sail at their best potential, fin-keelers must be light, so loading a 31-foot fin-keeler with three kids and all their stuff, several hundred pounds of anchor tackle, 120 gallons of water, and hundreds of pounds of food, plus cooking gear, woodburning heater, clothes, shoes, sewing machine, books, etc, as I have done on my CG, is unthinkable. But even loaded to the gills, our little 31-footer commonly sails at 6 1/2 to 7 knots. I'll happily race against any other 31-footer out there, provided they handicap themselves in the same way!
I can't speak as to construction, since as someone noted many (including mine) were owner-finished, but I can testify that the hulls are absolutely rock-solid, and the layup on mine when I got it was exquisite--I can think of only one minor cosmetic defect. Some might say that now that I'm done with her the whole boat's a cosmetic defect, but that's the beauty of owner-finishing: you can have the boat exactly the way you want. Mine, so far, has not disappointed at all.
Old 25-03-2013, 19:03   #25

Thanks for your insight Benz and others. I am very drawn to these boats- they call my name.
Old 26-03-2013, 12:07   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I would be more comfortable in a larger boat, but bigger is not the only thing and/or means better. It would take something significant to get me to move to another boat. The main reason that will never happen is to be able to afford another boat I would have to sell this one first...I live on board so would have no place to live until I get the other boat, I would also have to get a good deal selling my boat as well as buying the other boat. I have accepted I will never be ab le to get a better boat, so am making the one I have a better boat. The two most things I can say about getting a boat are [1] you don't have to impress anyone but yourself [2] Keep your fantasies from becoming too fantastic (which is why I can kick back in the hammock on my own 30' cutter rather than standing on the dock lusting after a 65' schooner). SailNet Community - wolfenzee's Album: S/V Rover
Old 26-03-2013, 12:55   #27

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I would be more comfortable in a larger boat, but bigger is not the only thing and/or means better. It would take something significant to get me to move to another boat. The main reason that will never happen is to be able to afford another boat I would have to sell this one first...I live on board so would have no place to live until I get the other boat, I would also have to get a good deal selling my boat as well as buying the other boat. I have accepted I will never be ab le to get a better boat, so am making the one I have a better boat. The two most things I can say about getting a boat are [1] you don't have to impress anyone but yourself [2] Keep your fantasies from becoming too fantastic (which is why I can kick back in the hammock on my own 30' cutter rather than standing on the dock lusting after a 65' schooner). SailNet Community - wolfenzee's Album: S/V Rover
Nice boat! Enjoyed the pics from what I assume was the original build.
Old 26-03-2013, 16:37   #28

One of the things I really liked about our 36 CG was the way the outboard rudder adapted to a windvane. I built a trim tab on the trailing edge and turned that with a very lightweight vane mounted on the stern pulpit. The force required to turn the tab was trivial, and the system steered her in a perfectly straight line for thousands of miles on all points of sail.
Old 18-04-2013, 14:41   #29

Boat: Cape George 34

A little late on the conversation, but I just joined the forum and discovered the post re: Cape George. I have a CG 34 completely factory built & finished (hull #1). Would be glad to answer any specific questions but it looks like they've mostly been covered. The build workmanship is all top notch and she sails like a dream.

-Craig
s/v Lady Hamilton
SaltyBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 06:58   #30

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

We have a William Atkin "Tally Ho Major", "ROSA", which we have owned since 2005. It was purchased from the original owner and builder and was constructed in 1977 in Minn. She was sailed by the original owner to the Western Caribbean, Bay Islands, and the Rio Dulce area in her earlier years and hopefully will be headed down again soon. We have our house on the market and could be ready to depart within a month or so should it sell. We plan to live on "ROSA" as long as we can handle the physical requirements needed. She is small on interior assets by todays standards but we enjoy the traditional feel and look of these type sailing craft. Would buy her again in a second.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WONDERFUL SEA BOAT.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	59482   Click image for larger version

Name:	PREPARING TO DEPART.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	59483  

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: