Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2010, 10:22   #1

Cape Dory 30

I currently live in Houston, Texas, (I am now 20 years old) but in a few years (after accumulating savings and finishing college) plan on doing a 5 year circumnavigation. I currently have a catalina 25, but have been looking for more of a cruising boat for the circumnavigation, and have highly considered the Cape Dory 30.
I am currently single, but plan to do it with my future wife, so I wouldn't be single handing. My budget will be limited, and I will want to keep all costs at a minimum. I was looking to spend between 20,000 and 40,000 on the boat. I know all boats require maintenance, but I would prefer a rugged, strong and simple boat that requires little maintenance compared to others.

So about the Cape Dory 30:
Is this a good choice for what I want to do?
Does it require lots of maintenance?
How good is its accomodations for a couple?
How is its performance upwind?
Looking at the freeboard, is constantly wet in the cockpit?
Does it have ample storage?
Is it too small for a world cruiser?
How is it in rough seas?
Does it have a good thick layer of fiberglass?
Is the fact that it has a liner on the inside between the fiberglass something problematic for repairs?

Any other advice is appreciated, as well as reccomendations for other boats.

Thanks
andres22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 10:34   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i have seen a CD30 stand up and sail in 30 to 40 knot winds. they are stout little boats but check the rigging and chainplates. easy to rig an autopilot on the stern. i like the new style interior where the head was in the bow. it would be pretty tight for 2 people but doable
Old 23-09-2010, 12:46   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The CD's were all good boats and would be a reasonble choice for a circumnavigation. CD,s tend to be pricey, however. You might look at other Alberg designs like the Alberg 30 which can be had for less than 10 boat units. Pre 1970 CCA designs like the Pearson Vanguard and others are also very strong boats that are often available cheap. You could buy a neglected one and slowly outfit/refit to your needs. Buy it cheap, though. The cost of refitting any boat gets pricey real quick. Depending on use, any boat over 10 years old will probably require new sails, rigging, and elctronics.

FWIW
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 14:38   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
You have great taste in boats! here is my .02

So about the Cape Dory 30:
Is this a good choice for what I want to do? YES
Does it require lots of maintenance? No more than any vessel, definitly less maintenance than cheaper built boats.
How good is its accomodations for a couple? OK, not great but ok, really depends on the couple.
How is its performance upwind? points extremely well
Looking at the freeboard, is constantly wet in the cockpit? Not with a dodger and spray cloths
Does it have ample storage? NO
Is it too small for a world cruiser? NO
How is it in rough seas? She rides very well
Does it have a good thick layer of fiberglass? you would be amazed. The cape dory 30 is a work of art, extremely overbuilt without turning her into a dog.
Is the fact that it has a liner on the inside between the fiberglass something problematic for repairs? yes, more than likely you will not be able to reach the hull if holed, this means offshore you will be going over the side to make repairs from the outside. but I have two friends that were sunk by containers, they couldn't get to the leak either and they did not have the pesky liner.

CD30s are very strong and sail well. They are small for 30 feet and the storage space is not as good as say a Pacific Seacraft. Here is a link to a great Owners group for Cape Dory. Look at the PS and Allieds too.

Good luck and have fun on your adventure
Erika
Old 23-09-2010, 15:00   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
If you like the CD30 check out the allied seawind and the allied seawind II.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 15:28   #6

Boat: Watkins 29'
Cape Dory is a great choice.. If you are just starting your search get your hands on a copy of "Twenty Small Sailboats To Take You Anywhere" by John Vigor, or better yet, download it to your Kindle.
Mike Vogdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 18:37   #7

Boat: CS 36t
I agree with the comments above. They are very good boats and extremely capable for their size. Both the cutter and ketch would do the trick for you but if you get a ketch, add a solent stay or inner forestay because there is a decent risk of losing the rig if anything goes wrong with the bobstay, bowsprit, or forestay.

Sailing wise, they point reasonably well for boats of their type and are surprisingly fast. I find that I pass many larger and more modern boats simply by trimming properly and steering a straight course. They do not go to windward well in large chop but most boats don't. They tend to pitch too much but they do okay if you fall off more. In strong winds, they sail nicely and heave to quite well (I have done both multiple times in greater than 40 knots and had no problems). At anchor, they tend to roll a lot with waves on the beam which can be annoying but they do sit quite well into the wind. The cockpit is pretty dry for a boat of its size, I never wear foulies unless it is raining.

The construction is very good, the boats are quite sturdy but not ridiculously heavy. Things to watch out for include the bowsprit, chainplates, the steering gear if an edson pedestal style, and rotten deck core near the bow and on the cockpit sole. They came stock with engines between 12 and 15 hp (there were 3 offered at different times). This makes them a bit underpowered and engine access is not great so some people have put in Betas or Yanmars and others have kept the engine. Upgrading to a campbell sailor prop will make a huge difference.

I find the down below area to be quite comfy but small. The seats are very comfortable and mine has a nice table. There is a surprising amount of storage for a boat of that size but you would certainly fill it all up for a circumnavigation.

One of the best things about them is the excellent owners website at capedory.org.

A Cape Dory 30 would certainly work for what you are looking at and the upper end of your price range would buy you quite a nice one. Personally, I would try to save my money and buy a 330 if an around the world trip were in the cards. There are several other boats out there that would also fit your criteria so keep your mind open but I think that it is definitely a boat that you should be looking into.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory