Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 07:47   #1

Cape Dory 28 in heavy weather

I was wondering if anyone has experience with a Cape Dory 28 in weather offshore, say 40-50kt plus. And how they and the boat handled it?
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:46   #2

Re: Cape Dory 28 in heavy weather

As a Carl Alberg design like my Alberg 30, it should lay ahull with the tiller leeward very well. Just settle below and wait for the strong winds to pass! Couldn't be simpler :-D You have a full keel so you have an option most modern sailboats don't.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:38   #3

Here's a great article on lying ahull by John Vigor... http://johnvigor.blogspot.com/2015/0...ahull.html?m=1
Old 08-10-2017, 10:59   #4

Interesting and valuable insights, thank you. I've read a number of good articles about laying ahull vs using some form of drag device such as a drogue or sea anchor. I suppose it's my experiences offshore with powerboats that makes me slightly adverse to the idea of lying side to in weather, different critters of course.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
Interesting and valuable insights, thank you. I've read a number of good articles about laying ahull vs using some form of drag device such as a drogue or sea anchor. I suppose it's my experiences offshore with powerboats that makes me slightly adverse to the idea of lying side to in weather, different critters of course.
Thanks for the kind comment. Lying ahull at 40-50 knots was your question. In bigger storm conditions I would still like a series drogue in the lazarette of my A30 and dedicated chainplates installed to attach it to but I don't have them yet.

If I was taking a trip where I needed a drogue but no budget for one, I would cheaply make my own with an old car tire. This video does a great job of explaining how....

https://youtu.be/QR6roMHemjA
Old 08-10-2017, 21:40   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Is this a boat you are interested in or one you have already?
I don't have the experience in that boat you are asking about, but maybe my experiences might be of use. The CD 28 has a very good reputation for seaworthiness, and her design, displacement and ballast, and build quality all lend themselves to handling things well. My own boat (Columbia 29) is pretty similar in dimensions though mine is skinnier and about a thousand lbs. lighter. I haven't been out in 50kts yet though in her so take this with a grain of salt... When and if I am (which is not likely) I am pretty sure I'll be running under bare poles with a drogue. Like I said I have not sailed a CD28 but, like mine, I am betting she'll like to broach running in big waves and her rudder will be more speed brake than rudder at that point, so a drogue would be in order to help out keeping her stern-to the waves. I can keep mine under control fine and scudding along well reaching with a jib only if it is up to 30 knots or so. Around here we'll get wind and waves built up like that in a stretch called "windy lane" certain times of the year, and then Point Conception nearby here gets wind and waves built up pretty well close to shore. You are asking about wind speed, but I think more in terms of sea state. It's not the wind but waves that I am more interested in! Around here we can get strong offshore winds, 50 and 60 knots possible, Santa Anas they are called, at times and in those, with little fetch, I could see going with lying ahull because waves haven't built up, close to shore. 10 or 15 miles out is another story. Otherwise, with all due respect to Mr. Vigor, I personally would not choose lying ahull in heavy weather. I avoid being beam-on to large waves, with no steerage, as much as possible! So anyway you have to take wave period and height into account, along with wind. Knowing how well those boats are built I would feel confident the CD28 can handle quite a bit. I mean I'd feel confident about the boat. Me? That's something else.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:08   #7

I recently bought a 1981 Cape Dory 28 in which I've replaced the aging Volvo in and am making a number of other improvements. I haven't had her in the water yet though. As a novice sailor with years of powerboat experience I've read a lot about bad weather tactics on sailboats with interest as they differ considerably from powerboats.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:30   #8

Boat: Union cutter 33

Try a southern cross 28 on for size built like a tank and will take any kind of weather question is can you.
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:51   #9

Boat: CD25

Google up
S/v Fenix
LOTS of videos of his journey around the globe along with how he prepared Fenix for the task.
Pete
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:32   #10

Thank you, I've reviewed S/V Fenix's site frequently. I've done a number of things similar to those seen there. I replaced the Volvo with a Universal M25XP of 23hp as it's a much more common Kubota engine and parts are significantly more available as well as cheaper. As stated in the S/V Fenix site it's virtually impossible to access the stuffing box, shaft and coupling, I've addressed this by adding an Anchor commercial hatch in the cockpit and made a removable panel in the counter under the companionway. This has given much better access to both the top and rear areas of the engine. I retained the original fuel tank and added a second tank of 20 gal.. I also added a 500 series Racor in the feed line to the engine and a 900 series Racor fuel polishing system. I'm in the process of replacing the standing rigging with 1/4" galvanized spliced around Suncor heavy duty stainless thimbles and galvanized 1/2" turnbuckles. I'm mounting an RFD life raft and ACR EPIRB on deck and overhead survival suit storage in the salon. I'm think about a few other projects but time and money are running short.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:10   #11

28' boat, 40 kt winds, 40' seas. Hopefully this is a dream sequence from the movie "Once In Someone Else's Lifetime".
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:20   #12

I've seen 40kts plenty but never accompanied by a 40' sea.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:38   #13

I had a CD 25d. It loved sailing in 30 knots and it heaved to like a dream. Same hull design and shape.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>
I replaced the Volvo with a Universal M25XP of 23hp as it's a much more common Kubota engine and parts are significantly more available as well as cheaper. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of M25 Series Universal Engine Information on the Internet, plus some M35, too

Diesel Engine - c34.org

Good luck with your new boat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:43   #15

I have a friend with a 25d, very nice boat, I think one of the few advantages of my 28 is simply being able to stuff more into it.

Tags
cape dory, weather