Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 05:58   #1

Boat: 1983 Catalina 22
Question capacity ratings for trailer cruisers?

Hello, all. I am a newbie with a basic question regarding capacity. We are considering something like a Catalina 22 as our first sail boat. After a few days of looking at boats on line and in person, I just realized that capacity rating is a specification that I have not seen listed, and I don't remember seeing any capacity plates on the boats I've looked at. We'd like to be able to load, say, 4 scuba tanks and diving weights, and enough gear and supplies to spend a few nights on the boat. Is that doable in a boat in this size class? What would be the total weight, including crew, that one could load on board safely?
Divensail88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:36   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: capacity ratings for trailer cruisers?

Just guessing here . . . but those boats can probably handle 800-1000 lbs of added weight (crew + gear + food etc.). Just keep in mind its distribution. Don't pile it all at the stern, or up high. Keep it low and centered if possible. Maybe shift some forward if you have trouble tacking through the wind.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:58   #3

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Following up with one interesting data point: the Catalina 22 will immerse 1" per 530 pounds of weight.

The first 500-600 lbs or so is probably taken into account by the designer as normal cruising load, and will bring the boat to its design waterline. Adding another 530 lbs will put you 1" deeper. Not a disaster, but the boat will be slower and you don't want to immerse it much more than that.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Yacht compliance plates for lightweight boats like trailerable yachts and catamarans often list a quite a low usable payload.
(My guess is that most small crusing catamarans are exceeding their weight for open water requirements). I am sure someone will know the exact capacity of the Catalina 22.
I suspect you will be just legal.

For what its worth, back in my youth, before the days of compliance plates I often cruised small trailerable yachts, in open water, with much more weight, than you are proposing. Two people require a lot of food, water, and something to toast the sunset with. I often carried supplies for several weeks away from civilisation.
I am still here, but that does not mean it was not without risk.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote