Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 14:11   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
Canadian Considering Boat in Sint Maarten

Hey,

just fired off an e-mail to the seller of this Vega: Tarka The Vega

It's in Sint Maarten and I have to head back to work at the end of this month so if this happens it's got to happen fast. Aside from the purchase price am I in for surprise fees? Would there be any taxes on the sale?

The boat would be unlikely to return to Canada anytime soon and I'd have to store it on the hard initially (probably for at least 6 months) while I work my butt off to replenish my savings.

New sailor, I have fewer than 2 weeks on a sailboat and just received my day skipper certification (CYA) never sailed across borders so any advice is welcomed, encouraging or otherwise, don't be shy.

I gather Sint Maarten just came up with new rules prohibiting owners to work on their own vessels without a permit so I may choose to store the boat elsewhere, heard Puerto Rico is a bit cheaper and has less red tape.

KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 14:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Canadian Considering Boat in Sint Maarten

Just move it across the lagoon to French side..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 14:37   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Canadian Considering Boat in Sint Maarten

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoNomad View Post
Hey,

It's in Sint Maarten and I have to head back to work at the end of this month so if this happens it's got to happen fast. Aside from the purchase price am I in for surprise fees? Would there be any taxes on the sale?

The boat would be unlikely to return to Canada anytime soon and I'd have to store it on the hard initially (probably for at least 6 months) while I work my butt off to replenish my savings.

New sailor, I have fewer than 2 weeks on a sailboat and just received my day skipper certification (CYA) never sailed across borders so any advice is welcomed, encouraging or otherwise, don't be shy.

I gather Sint Maarten just came up with new rules prohibiting owners to work on their own vessels without a permit so I may choose to store the boat elsewhere, heard Puerto Rico is a bit cheaper and has less red tape.

I'm a Canadian sitting here in St. Martin.. Not sure what "new rules" but I work on my own boat every day.. I also work on others boats for beer.. Can't imagine them even enforcing that rule (unless its on the hard). Even then.. How would they ever prove you worked on your own boat.

Second.. I'm not sure where in Puerto Rico you found cheaper, but I would look closely.. Sure, shipping parts from the USA is cheaper, but that is about it. I know no where in Puerto Rico that storage on the hard is cheaper than St. Martin.

Anyway enjoy... If I can help (pictures or other) let me know. We plan to be in St. Martin for another week or two.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 14:43   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Best to register the boat in Canada. You will need to provide a sales receipt and proof that the boat is no longer registered in another country. You can check the cost of doing this on the Transport Canada website. There are no taxes to be paid until you physically import the boat into Canada.

Sint Marten is an excellent place for boat work. Don't know anything about the permit situation. Check their website for details. I am guessing that it might be related to bottom paint sanding and the like. The Dutch side of the island is duty free so prices are the best in the Caribbean. (BTW and not surprisingly the restaurants are on the French side.) On the other hand if you are in Puerto Rico you have access to American stores like Defender.com. They are very helpful and ship widely. We had stuff sent to American Samoa via USPS. Going to PR means you are heading downwind in the trades, which is not a good thing if your plan is to head to the Eastern Caribbean. Can't imagine that a Vega is great to windward.

You have enough time to get the process done, although you may not get much work done since you can't and don't want to do any work on the boat until it is yours. Remember you are in the hurricane belt so wherever you store needs to take precautions - such as strong tie downs. St Marten was hit by a hurricane just a few years ago.
Old 08-03-2017, 15:03   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Hey,

The sellers are lovely people. Met them just last night and really, impressive, lovely young couple.

Re last paragraph, owners prohibited doing work. That's BS.
Time Out Boat Yard on the French side has good hardstanding for long term. And you can work on it yourself. In fact everyone does. It's a great little community of people doing their own boats up and having a beer together outside the office at sunset.

You must book in early for the hurricane season! By may it will be booked out.

I will haul there for 1 week in a few weeks time.

Keith is English and Paula runs the office, is French.https://m.facebook.com/pages/Time-Out-Boat-Yard/113480918756189
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 15:10   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Canadian Considering Boat in Sint Maarten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The sellers are lovely people. Met them just last night and really, impressive, lovely young couple.

Time Out Boat Yard on the French side has good hardstanding for long term. And you can work on it yourself. In fact everyone does. It's a great little community of people doing their own boats up and having a beer together outside the office at sunset.

Keith is English and Paula runs the office, is French.https://m.facebook.com/pages/Time-Ou...13480918756189
A+1...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 16:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Just move it across the lagoon to French side..
Why is that?
Old 08-03-2017, 16:23   #8

Quote:

Keith is English and Paula runs the office, is French.https://m.facebook.com/pages/Time-Ou...13480918756189
Wow, what a kind endorsement! I seem to recall them having had a YouTube channel before but can't find it now, either way I got a good impression also

I'm glad one is able to work on their own boat there, can't imagine prohibiting that or requiring cruisers to buy expensive (reportedly $300 PP) would work in the favour of the local economy. Thank you for clearing that up.

If I were to buy the boat I'd have it up on the hard before the end of the month so should be okay. Sure hope for a few weeks of sailing though

Hope you are having a blast!

BTW how good does one's French have to be in St Maarten? Mine is pretty good for touristy purposes but I know virtually zero sailing specific terminology, I'm guessing it's a non-issue but better to ask.
Old 08-03-2017, 17:10   #9

Not sure if this is the same Tarka but if it is there is a wealth of info to be had by the couple who circumnavigated in her. Bosun Bird - Voyage of Tarka the Otter
Barefootnavigat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 17:29   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:

BTW how good does one's French have to be in St Maarten? Mine is pretty good for touristy purposes but I know virtually zero sailing specific terminology, I'm guessing it's a non-issue but better to ask.
French? Who the hell speaks French?

They all speak English.
Everyone.
Old 08-03-2017, 17:30   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootnavigat View Post
Not sure if this is the same Tarka but if it is there is a wealth of info to be had by the couple who circumnavigated in her. Bosun Bird - Voyage of Tarka the Otter
No, different boat.
Old 08-03-2017, 17:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Best to register the boat in Canada. You will need to provide a sales receipt and proof that the boat is no longer registered in another country. You can check the cost of doing this on the Transport Canada website. There are no taxes to be paid until you physically import the boat into Canada.

Sint Marten is an excellent place for boat work. Don't know anything about the permit situation. Check their website for details. I am guessing that it might be related to bottom paint sanding and the like. The Dutch side of the island is duty free so prices are the best in the Caribbean. (BTW and not surprisingly the restaurants are on the French side.) On the other hand if you are in Puerto Rico you have access to American stores like Defender.com. They are very helpful and ship widely. We had stuff sent to American Samoa via USPS. Going to PR means you are heading downwind in the trades, which is not a good thing if your plan is to head to the Eastern Caribbean. Can't imagine that a Vega is great to windward.

You have enough time to get the process done, although you may not get much work done since you can't and don't want to do any work on the boat until it is yours. Remember you are in the hurricane belt so wherever you store needs to take precautions - such as strong tie downs. St Marten was hit by a hurricane just a few years ago.
Why is it best to register it in Canada? Also, how does one prove it's not registered elsewhere? I take it it's possible to do all this once I return to Canada? How about insuring the boat? Do I just have to keep my fingers crossed until I return to the country?

Not too sure about the Vega's windward performance, I've asked many owners and never gotten a reply. I suspect you may be right.
Old 08-03-2017, 17:49   #13

Quote:
French? Who the hell speaks French?

They all speak English.
Everyone.
Hahaha, that's what I suspected, thank you.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:46   #14

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Why is it best to register it in Canada? Also, how does one prove it's not registered elsewhere? I take it it's possible to do all this once I return to Canada? How about insuring the boat? Do I just have to keep my fingers crossed until I return to the country?

Not too sure about the Vega's windward performance, I've asked many owners and never gotten a reply. I suspect you may be right.
As a Canadian, you will find it very hard to register it anywhere else. Not impossible mind you, but a ton of work for zero gain. I believe you will need to formally register with "Canadian Registar of Vessels" as you fit the criteria of
"if you are planning to travel outside of Canada for extended periods of time."

Registering in Canada will take a long time to complete the process. If you want to rename the boat, you won't get an answer as to whether the name is accepted for up to 3 months. You will need a "Notorized" bill of sale and a formal "de-registration" certificate from the county it was formally registered in. If the deal is looking solid and you are pretty sure it will go through, then you can actually start the process by downloading the documents and filling them out. Start here.
Registering a vessel - Transport Canada

As to insurance.. We struggled to find decent vessel insurance as a Canadian. We initially started with Dolphin in Vancouver but they were really expensive. We are currently shopping new insurance. At this point "Pantaenius insurance" is leading but there are problems as we are being told they can't write a policy on a Canadian boat!

Sigh.. Welcome to boat ownership!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:07   #15

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
...I gather Sint Maarten just came up with new rules prohibiting owners to work on their own vessels without a permit so I may choose to store the boat elsewhere, heard Puerto Rico is a bit cheaper and has less red tape.
Maybe in Sint Maarten but not in St-Martin just across the lagon !
PS: Vega was my firts dream sailboat when I was 20 ! Back then I read an article about 4 (big) guys crossed the Atlantic on the 27' vega! I don't know if they could carry enough beer though
Another Atlantic crossing:
Cheers!
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat