Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2016, 09:00   #16

Boat: Oyster Hp 49 Pilot House
Re: Canadian citizen, VAT paid vessel and cruising

croatia and montenegro are now within the schengen. caveat
Huskybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 09:03   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Regarding staying in the Schengen area longer than the 90-day in 180 limit, you are talking about obtaining a residence visa. This is more difficult said than done. Among other things, being a "resident" means you may be liable for tax in that country. Again, it has been discussed at length on this forum. Search Schengen. Our understanding is that it is a difficult process & not likely worth the trouble unless you really, really want to stay for an extended period.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 09:51   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Canadian citizen, VAT paid vessel and cruising

If you sell the boat in the FWI.. St Barts, St Martin etc or French Polynesia it will also retain its VAT status.
As to proving the boats been outside the EU for more than the set time period..
Not so hard to prove in the computer age..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 10:06   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Last time I looked and drove through the border 2 weeks ago, Croatia is not Schengen. Montenegro is not in the EU and is not Schengen either.Schengen Visa Countries List - Schengen Area
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 10:14   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
Last time I looked and drove through the border 2 weeks ago, Croatia is not Schengen. Montenegro is not in the EU and is not Schengen either.Schengen Visa Countries List - Schengen Area
Correct. I misrepresented it a bit for now. But he is talking about staying a few years and by next year Croatia will be in and Montenegro to follow (both countries are already on Euro)
Getting a residence permit on a One Euro job is feasible, then you do not pay taxes and you liveaboard
Old 01-05-2016, 01:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskybeer View Post
Correct. I misrepresented it a bit for now. But he is talking about staying a few years and by next year Croatia will be in and Montenegro to follow (both countries are already on Euro)
Getting a residence permit on a One Euro job is feasible, then you do not pay taxes and you liveaboard
What do you mean by a "One Euro Job?"

This sounds like a scam where you pay a company to give you a job paying 1euro per year and that job is your justification for getting residency. If that is what is being proposed, just run away. First, you have to have a work permit to get a job then when you fill out the long term visa paperwork, they are likely to throw it out if the annual pay is 1 euro and clearly a scam. You will be lucky if all they do is throw it out and not charge you with submitting fraudulent paperwork.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:29   #22

If I was doing it all again, I'd get a boat somewhere from Croatia to Turkey, sail into the Aegean and then swap between Greece and Turkey every three months.

There is a lifetime of rich experiences in both countries, the region is well serviced with reasonably priced airlines, The sailing can be excellent, but way out of my league because of the risks involved when the Meltemi blows. There are many, many islands you can visit and tour,

There are now risks involved with the refugee crisis, but I think that most sailors wouldn't avoid the place because of the boats.

The rest of the Med has some great cities island and regions but The sailing, mooring and anchoring is not so interesting. There are very highly developed marinas every 25 miles but I don't like paying 35-135 euros (monaco during FI car race week, 1200 euros) a night to tie up to a concrete wall or aluminium finger. The Mistral can utterly dominate the golfe de leon. A few sailors I've met who crossed the ditch said they haven't motored so much as they did in the Med
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:55   #23

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
it is sufficient to be as a person one day out of Schengen.
Huskybeeer, you're mixing Schengen for the person, & VAT for the boat, and confusing an already confusing topic.

Schengen = human restriction of 90 days in each 180 days for non-EU persons.
EU = boat restriction of 18 months if the boat is not VAT paid, regardless of flag.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:01   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Canadian citizen, VAT paid vessel and cruising

The Gulf of Lions is subject to the Tramontana which is a lot different to the Meltimi.. but I get your point..
The Western Med is much more expensive to cruise than the E Med.. fewer anchorages and free harbour walls/quays to tie up to for a couple of days at a time.. I never stay longer as I feel its taking the piss and may affect/attract attention overmuch leading to local Gov's deciding to start charging cruising folk for docking when they overstay and take space the local fishing boats etc also use and rely on.. at the moment its still friendly but.. I have seen a few examples of cruisers abusing the hospitality.
For me.. the good sailing/cruising grounds start at Sardinia and run East.. also.. there's large swathes that are pretty sparse of cruisers who mainly seem to congregate around the tourist traps.. thankfully..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:13   #25

A 1 euro job is a job that socalled pays one euro per hour. I know they are low quality work but ... If it serves the purpose?
Old 01-05-2016, 05:38   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskybeer View Post
A 1 euro job is a job that socalled pays one euro per hour. I know they are low quality work but ... If it serves the purpose?
Without more detail, this still sounds like a scam.

Are these only available in the newer/poorer eastern European member states? I'm pretty sure there are minimum wage laws in the western states.

This subject has been beat to death many times over on CF and this is the first I've heard of 1 euro jobs as a way around the visa rules.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:14   #27
cruiser

I have dual US and Canadian citizenship and live on my boat within the EU legally abiding by all the rules, treaties and VAT issues for six months out of every year. The boat is US flagged.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to private message me on this forum. I'm tired of reading and arguing with all the misinformation regarding these matters on this forum.

If you're only going to be in the EU for 2-3 years, why bother paying a higher price VAT paid boat? Buy a cheaper VAT not paid boat.... then leave after your stay.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:54   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If you're only going to be in the EU for 2-3 years, why bother paying a higher price VAT paid boat? Buy a cheaper VAT not paid boat.... then leave after your stay.
Based on listed prices when I was looking, there was no clear price difference between VAT paid and not paid boats advertised. Chances are that the non-vat boats will have a more negotiable price. Also paid tend to be privately owned and non-paid, coming out of charter which can lead to different equipment levels.

Best thing is to look at both vat and non-vat boats and remember to factor in the VAT effect when negotiating
Old 01-05-2016, 08:05   #29

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

If I were you, I would be very cautious sailing in certain parts of the Med these days. There are an enormous number of vessels from the African coast making passage from North Africa to either Turkey or Greece. Getting caught up in that migrant mess is asking for trouble.
As far as the Schengen Agreement goes, that is considered by many Europeans the crux of their migrant problem on land. Unfortunately, those making the decisions on this free travel from one country to another within the EU is made by non-elected officials who have no political skin in the game so what they do will not be reflective of the European folks, generally. Rather it will be decided on their whim or financial payoff by somewhat shadowy folks behind the scenes.
How do I know this? I have a very close friend who has been attached to NATO for many years as a high ranking military officer who tells me the whole balloon is about go up over there and there are contingency plans that have been dusted off to get everyone (families) out of country within 12 hours along with many other security safeguards that I cannot repeat on a public forum.
Cover your ass is all I can advise... Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:51   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
If I were you, I would be very cautious sailing in certain parts of the Med these days. There are an enormous number of vessels from the African coast making passage from North Africa to either Turkey or Greece. North African refo vessels are going to Italy & Malta from Libya and Spain from Morocco. Refos to Turkey are by land and to Greece from Turkey (only island on the east of the Aegean are impacted Getting caught up in that migrant mess is asking for trouble.
As far as the Schengen Agreement goes, that is considered by many Europeans the crux of their migrant problem on land. Unfortunately, those making the decisions on this free travel from one country to another within the EU is made by non-elected officials who have no political skin in the game so what they do will not be reflective of the European folks, generally. Most of us probably like the easy travel it gives us, don't like that people from some countries go to others to abuse the the soft wealfare systems. Schengen is not the problem with refos, it's that some countries say "all welcome" then try to off load the excess onto others and the lack of balls to enforce the external border policing and not controlling the refos that arrive Rather it will be decided on their whim or financial payoff by somewhat shadowy folks behind the scenes.
How do I know this? I have a very close friend who has been attached to NATO for many years as a high ranking military officer who tells me the whole balloon is about go up over there and there are contingency plans that have been dusted off to get everyone (families) out of country within 12 hours along with many other security safeguards that I cannot repeat on a public forum.OMG The US state department regularly puts out warnings to citizens about countries, that residents of those countries find laughable. I believe legally the state department must issue a warning even if there is the slightest stupid concern. In that environment, I'd be certain that evacuation plans are also made to cover the arses of people who will get kicked if the highly unlikely event happens
Cover your ass is all I can advise... Cheers, Phil
No need to cover your arse unless you are an American politician or public servant in the State Department

Tags
cruising