Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2009, 00:49   #1

Boat: catalina 1985 30 -Hello over there
Can you explain...

So how i understand it the exhaust on your engine and raw coolant water mix and the exhaust pushes the water up and out...

Why is this???

and If the engine doesn't start right away and push the water up and out can
it back flow to the engine and hydro-lock the engine and well destroy it???

beetle
beetlejuice30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 02:00   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Our engines use heat exchangers to cool them fed by raw water and yes if you have a hard starting engine..keep you raw water sea cock closed till she fires or you can flood the engine from the raw water pump back through the exhaust valves.

Why?...we dont have adequate air flow to run radiators for a closed system and the side benifit is relatively cool exhaust gases as well as engine room..its a good deal actually but with the typical electrolysis issues we have to deal with as a down side ...nothings perfict.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 03:48   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Exhaust System Fundamentals ~ by Dave Gerr

This is a diagram posted by GordMay...I hope I'm not breaking any rules in reposting it.
Keep in mind that there are variations to these.

The top diagram is probably the most common in modern sail boats.

The bottom diagram, in my opinion, is the safest way to go in that the highest point in the system is dry and directly behind the engine.
Over cranking would not flood the engine with this set-up.

Unfortunately this is not always possible with conventional lay-outs and it requires a longer piece of non water cooled exhaust that needs insulated…also vibration of the dry stack needs addressing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79exhaust_davegerr-med.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	6826  
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 11:16   #4

will cranking the engine with out having the sea cock open fry the impeller
Old 18-01-2009, 12:31   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
After replacing the fuel filters, I usually have to crank the engine for 30-60 seconds to get it to fire up. I close the raw water intake seacock almost all the way, leaving it cracked in order to allow some water in to lubricate the impeller, but not enough to fill up the exhaust system.
Old 18-01-2009, 13:59   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice30 View Post
will cranking the engine with out having the sea cock open fry the impeller

Yes...Eventually it will. Definitely not good for it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 15:09   #7

Yes...but in actuality very little due to the fact that it is heat caused by friction that does most of the dammage to impellers and your talking less then 60 rpm..so unless as mentioned your bleeding an engine and laying on the starter for a long time I personally dont even worrie about it...

Exanple:
1 min or less total time in shorter 10 second spurts cranking up a cold blooded engine or low compression engine is not going to vaporize all the water from the pump and harm the impeller, water is the lubricant...

Id rather replace an impeller then bend a rod from hydraulicking a motor wouldt you?

My procedure for a cold start is this if Im alone..I keep it closed..start the engine and dash below to open it...so Im getting a couple seconds at 3 to 4 hundred RPM at the pump..which would translate into 30 to 40 compleat revolutions to the impeller before it got water if it took me 6 to 8 seconds to get below and open it.

If I have crew I have someone open it as soon as it fires from a cold start...of course most new or warm diesels should fire within a revolution or two so there is no issue anyway.

Just my Opinion... and FWIW..I change mine every two years in my boats not yearly because I cant use them that much yet..and I havent pulled a broken one yet.

Hope this helps

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 18-01-2009, 15:11   #8

i Understand that plenty of people are able to eliminate the problem as long as they are aware of it.
but does any one make some kind reed valve for the exhaust before the water enters the system, to prevent water from back flowing in to the engine

does this idea make any sense???
Old 18-01-2009, 15:17   #9

Invent one your co. will guarantee a replacement engine if it fails and I'll install one other then that my way is simpler and guaranteed..

Your making to much out of this methinks..

Tags
coolant, engine, engine cooling water, exhaust