Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 08:44   #16

Boat: Catalina 22
Skipmac, what were you doing in Haiti?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Barry,

I was in Haiti many years back and ran into two German couples living on a 27' boat that they had sailed over from Europe.
So Skipmac, what were you doing in Haiti? I lived in Haiti for a few years about 10 years ago. I was also back there just last summer for a few months and I am thinking about taking a boat trip that way. Its not exactly your ideal Caribbean vacation spot, but it does have its own appeal. Plus I here there is a cruiser friendly spot down south in the vicinity of Ile a Vach.

Also what is the deal with all the Germans down there. You can't go anywhere in Haiti without finding some. Plus I've found tons of Haitians that speak German. Go figure!
fmooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:42   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmooy View Post
... Plus I here there is a cruiser friendly spot down south in the vicinity of Ile a Vach...
Ile-a-Vache (Cow Island)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:45   #18

Boat: Catalina 22
Thanks Gord, you know, fat fingers.
fmooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:17   #19

The Pearson and the Trident are both in my price range. I REALLY appreciate all the recommendations. The Tayana is one I would love to get to but can't go that high on expense. The C.T. Ketch is near to my heart but looks a little scary.
bclark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Hey Barry....I was on Guam in the early 80s living on Arctic Lady at the old yacht club and in Peddi back bay.
Did you ever do the Atlants sub thing....if so maybe you know Bob and Audrey?
Was actually on the island for five years and never did Atlantis but did do Barney's Beach House, Tahiti Rama's and Gab Gab beach all the time. My Ketch was in Naval Station docks (I was in the Navy). Have you been there lately? Lots has changed since the good ole days.

Shoot me an email or IM, would love to chat off line. fbpony65@yahoo.com or fbpony65 for yahoo IM.
bclark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:21   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmooy View Post
So Skipmac, what were you doing in Haiti? I lived in Haiti for a few years about 10 years ago. I was also back there just last summer for a few months and I am thinking about taking a boat trip that way. Its not exactly your ideal Caribbean vacation spot, but it does have its own appeal. Plus I here there is a cruiser friendly spot down south in the vicinity of Ile a Vach.

Also what is the deal with all the Germans down there. You can't go anywhere in Haiti without finding some. Plus I've found tons of Haitians that speak German. Go figure!
Hi,

My first stop in Haiti was at Cap Hatien on the north coast on the way to the VI from Ft Lauderdale. This was in the early seventies. Seemed like a good stopover point and, as you say, out of the way and off the usual tourist routes. Liked the country and the people, hated the government (Baby Doc was still in control at that time) and the economic situation. Stopped there again on another trip to the VI and stayed several weeks to get some work done on the boat and see some of the sites.

Decided to make it a stopover again on the way south through the Windward Passage and stopped in Port au Prince that trip.

There were a lot of Germans there but we met a few French sailors passing through. I met a lot of Germans (not sailors but running hotels, restaurants and dive operations) all over the Caribbean. I think if I lived in a place where winters were that bad I would leave myself.

Regards
Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:02   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I've always liked the Pearson 365 as a liveaboard/cruiser. The layout is great and the bath tub in the head would be a god send for northern cruising. Looks like the spar pictured is the mizzen so may need a new main mast.

The Tayana is probably the best buy as it should be the best sailor of the bunch. I'd get rid of that god awful back porch they grafted onto the stern. The keel damage should be very easy to repair. Price is a bit steep but, other than the keel, it looks to be in pretty good shape.

For living aboard, anything over 25' is possible. Personally would not want anything smaller than 30' just to have a bit of storage room. Good luck in finding a boat. There should be a ton of them out there with the economy the way it is and the Texas boats. Agree that late 60's early 70's are a good place to start looking. They even look like sailboats ought to look.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35 1969
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 15:07   #23

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Hi. It's remarkable how some nice boats get banged up (hurricanes in the US in the main) or are left to rot over the years. The boats in the latter category are sad cases and I often wonder what sort of owners these must have had over the years. In general, they don't appear to have had any maintenance since launch as new, which makes them nearly worthless. I'm thinking of one in that category in Australia I've seen recently - a nice cruising design called a Swanson 42 from the 1970s. In fair order, these boats still fetch $120 - $160,000 in Australia. They are a good thing. The one I saw recently was from the mid 1970s, and was very sad indeed. Apart from apparently no or little maintenance since launch, a recent owner has taken it upon himself to hack out the forward bulkhead (roughly) apparently to give himself some more leg room in the forward bunk. We have a smaller (36ft) version of the same marque from the same era and she's in good nick. We tend to be always upgrading something or doing the normal maintenance. Apart from anything else, the owners of this Swanson 42 over the years must have been comfortable with seeing the value of what was initially a lovely boat decline and decline. Puzzles me.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:56   #24

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark2 View Post
Has anyone dealt with boatangel ministries in purchasing a sailboat...
Have dealt with Boatangel – generally good folks and seemed honest, in my limited experience… our title transfer (from the donator) didn’t go smoothly, but Boatangel worked with me rather patiently over several months to produce/get the documents our state required… they seem generally boat-knowledgeable, but often don’t know a particular vessel listing other than the paperwork… As to the boat the buyer is on their own, but the very-reduced price generally reflects this… If there was an occasion, I’d deal with them again, but as to any specific vessel, you are pretty much dependent on your own knowledge, skill, information, resources and experience…